Positions to Upgrade in the Off-Season

Areas to Upgrade (select any/all that apply)

• Total voters
Lazar asked Marcus about playing WR.
Marcus said "sure but I'd rather play CB."

How about safety? He can tackle well and cover ground. And potentially minimize the height issue.
At his size he could end up another Bob Sanders. Big impact player, but couldn't stay on the field. It would be nice having that speed patrolling though.

Bourne was really good last year and maybe he's finally coming around this year's new offense due to some extra route tutelage.
Look at him go!

Kendrick Bourne was the highest graded wide receiver in week 16 according to @PFF

1. Kendrick Bourne - 93.7
2. Devonta Smith - 90.1
3. Jaylen Waddle - 89.3
4. D.J. Moore - 88.3
5. Drake London - 86.5

Bourne was really good last year and maybe he's finally coming around this year's new offense due to some extra route tutelage.
Look at him go!

Kendrick Bourne was the highest graded wide receiver in week 16 according to @PFF

2. Devonta Smith - 90.1
3. Jaylen Waddle - 89.3
4. D.J. Moore - 88.3
5. Drake London - 86.5
Bourne was able to learn a more complex set offense last year.

Look at him go!

2. Devonta Smith - 90.1
3. Jaylen Waddle - 89.3
4. D.J. Moore - 88.3
5. Drake London - 86.5

Kendrick Bourne was a top10 WR in the entire league in 2021. the only thing that could stop him in 2022 was… Fat Matt….

Remember when Ernie Zampese was going to really get Drew Bledsoe over the hump? That's what this thread reminds me of.

To clarify, you’re saying it’s the qb.
I’m probably biased but I think Mac is good. If he doesn’t turn it around over the next 12 months then I’m with you

To clarify, you’re saying it’s the qb.
I’m probably biased but I think Mac is good. If he doesn’t turn it around over the next 12 months then I’m with you
Turn around what? Look at his stats over the last seven games. In spite of the most incompetent offensive coaching staff in the NFL (and probably even at the highest levels of the NCAA) he has performed admirably.

One can only imagine what he can do with a better situation.

Turn around what? Look at his stats over the last seven games. In spite of the most incompetent offensive coaching staff in the NFL (and probably even at the highest levels of the NCAA) he has performed admirably.

One can only imagine what he can do with a better situation.
Imagine what he could do with upgrade in talent. He still doesn't have that Go to Brown, Faulk, Branch, Welker , Gronk , White or Edleman option. I saw a much different Jones late in 3rd. Making better reads & Accuracy stretching the field.

Speaking of drafting OTs, Lazar dropped a little tip he uses the other day. He and his buddy were discussing the OTs from Ohio State. Lazar said that the college's standard design play is a big factor. If all you see is primarily 3 step drops you won't get a feel for how that player will transition to the pro game (even though the Mel Kipers will think they will).

Never great to overpay the most for any position.

As an aside the Pats have by far the most expensive WR/TE group in the league by over 20M higher than the 2nd highest team. What a colossal waste of $$ and a grenade left by Ziegler+McDaniels

They do?

Why the fuck haven't you mentioned this before? Why can't you stay on topic?

For fucks sake we ALL would have changed our evaluations of the staff and players.

You can't sit on the stuff without letting us know what you're thinking @DropKickFlutie

Do better.

Very helpful

1. Any sentiment on what rounds these OTs are projected to go

2. Is it top heavy or is the top of OTs in the draft maybe evenly distributed with pseudo blue chips

As an aside, not a huge fan of how the Pats seem to be having deja vu from the 2006-2009 drafts and now repeating the same crappy draft cycle

Pair of bust tight ends (Asiasi, Keene… Dave Thomas, Mills)
Burn a first on an offensive guard (Strange… Mankins)
Burn a 2nd on a possible bust WR (Thornton… Chad Jackson)

-Next chase an OT (Solder was underwhelming)
-and next chase an undersized LB who was not dominant (Mayo)
-and fill in a free safety (Meriweather)

Last edited:
Draft boards are going to fluctuate wildly from now until draft day. But it’s interesting that PFF has maybe 6 Offensive Tackles who could go in the first round, and also projects a ton of early edge players or QBs early on, so there’s a good chance the best or second-best OT will be there when the Patriots select. Looks like the top offensive tackle is the grandson of a 5time champion who started for Lombardi’s Packers (LT Skoronski, Northwestern).

Speaking of drafting OTs, Lazar dropped a little tip he uses the other day. He and his buddy were discussing the OTs from Ohio State. Lazar said that the college's standard design play is a big factor. If all you see is primarily 3 step drops you won't get a feel for how that player will transition to the pro game (even though the Mel Kipers will think they will).

Very good point. A college offense that has a ton of 3 step drops, it’s really hard to know if an Olineman in that system will be a bust in pass protection in the NFL.

A lot of teams get lazy and don’t put players through actual simulated workouts/plays to see if they can play. Some of these positional drills don’t show anything.

Reminds me back in the day when Bill Walsh would actually test players in their own comprehensive positional workout. It’s how he knew Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott would be good.

Back