(Preseason) Game Thread - Game 1 Pats v. Giants

If there was only one impression I took away from last night it was that we added a number of guys who have that quick-twitch athleticism that
had been lacking. Jack Jones was just one of a number of new and newish guys that showed it. I don't know if we'll be better, but we'll be faster.
I saw that too. But when you mix in the D starters that did not play last night I think they will also be better.

No need to start a new thread on this. Jets QB1 Zack Wilson hurt his knee during the 1st preseason game against the Eagles. He will have have a MRI to determine if it's season ending or not.
Jets fans are pissed that he hasn't learned his lesson from last year. Instead of running out of bounds, he tries to play hero ball. Even the HC said that he should have gone out of bounds.Another great scouting job by the Jets.

Last edited:
I did catch a few minutes of the 1st quarter of the 9ers Packers game. Lance looked good and looks like he has made the 2nd year jump. Looks like Jimmy G will be traded when he's healthy.

Couple of OL notes from last night:

I'm still unpacking last night, but while Cajuste still makes more mental mistakes than I'd like to see there isn't that much difference between him
and Wynn, imo. If we could move Wynn for a decent deal then we might be in a reasonably good position to pull the trigger because we
do have some young guys that could factor in behind Cajuste. I think if he had a chance to play regularly at one position then he could work
out the kinks and perform well.

We haven't seen Andrew Steuber yet due to some sort of injury, but he looks like a better-than-average RT prospect to me and shouldn't need
years of grooming to produce. That is a guess.

Sure, it would be risky, but we'll likely only keep one swing tackle on the 53. Herron doesn't appear to be improving, to put it kindly, even though
every once in a while he shows a textbook pass block with beautiful feet and balance. I figure that is why we have been working with him from 3 years-- he'll
tease you with that athleticism, but between the false starts and just plain bad plays I thought he was, once again, herrondous. We've got to pull the plug
on this experiment, but I wouldn't bet real money that Bill sees it the same way.

My impressions on some of the other guys:

Cole Strange -- I thought he didn't look out of place in the NFL. A little squirrelly here and there on who to block, but nothing bad. He made a nice, quick pull and trapped
the inside tackle on an inside1st down run by J.J. and didn't look overmatched at any point. He'll be solid soon and better than that before long. He looks bigger already. On
one play he squared off with Leonard Williams, who is large, and Strange looked about the same size as him.

A. Hambright -- took a lot of snaps and did fairly well. Pretty mobile guy.

James Ferentz -- I've been calling for him to be cut for years, and hoped this would be the year, but he does actually appear marginally improved to my eyes and is the 2nd best Center on the roster by a wide margin.

Bill Murray -- one of the surprises of the night to me-- he didn't look half bad at RG versus the Giant's scrubs. He looked like he'd been playing the position
for a while and showed power, movement skill and intensity. He's got potential.

Drew Desjarlais -- a sleeper binkie of mine from watching some of his CFL clips -- I couldn't believe how much smaller he looked versus NFL backups. I didn't
see anything to make me feel like I'm right about him and Murray showed more overall polish after converting from DL about 2 weeks ago. Where was the
power Drew? He needs to make something happen and fast to stick around

Will Sherman -- Nope. No thank you.
Nice write up.
On Herron, was he looking bad while trying to block the Giants top pick Thibodeux(sp)?

The whispers I heard about Steuber is that he's out for the year.

My binkie DaMarcus Mitchell was playing with the 3s, but played a ton of special teams which means I have no idea where he stands.

I thought the new blocking scheme, I think it's called the McShanny offense, looked terrible and the offensive line just got SHREDDED.

In addition, Mac Jones showed that he's almost scraping his low ceiling, the coaching staff was terrible and the draftees from the last few years
all struggled indicating that Bill Belichick is a terrible GM and might be starting to show signs of mental illness.

Tyson Thornton looked very skinny, particularly his tiny (almost puppet-like) hands and wrists.

The rookie corners are too short and neither can rush the passer.

I think we need to re-sign all the veterans we've lost over the last few years and cut all the young kids so we can possibly avoid last place in
the AFC East for the next few seasons.

I'm also getting sick of all the injuries and think the Patriots should give Chris Sale a look because while he's never played football before, at
least he has proven that he is durable and has a frame that can add weight.

I'll stop there, because it's almost time my Nurse to bring me my pills so I can catch the new Matlock. That Andy Griffith is the best. Let's hope
next week's game is a little better, but I'll call the Sports Huddle tomorrow and ask Eddie Andleman what he thinks.
LOL, yes not nearly the disaster the talking heads have been hoping for. While there are concerns, there's a lot more positives to be taken, especially what stood out to me was the team speed which we just didn't have last season.

Nice write up.
On Herron, was he looking bad while trying to block the Giants top pick Thibodeux(sp)?
Yes, mostly. Thibideau pretty clearly got into his head, which looked like it drove one of the false starts.

I can't imagine BB was any too happy about facing 21 blitzes in the first preseason game. Don't know what DC Martindale was trying to prove.
It's not all that surprising when you consider Martindale was previously with the Ravens...but in preseason?

View: https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1558918555428524032

Last edited:

Just watching him, it's hard to believe that he hasn't been playing OL all along. He was moving people. I didn't look it up, but he had
to have played there at some point. Also, Murray has apparently been working his ass off in training because he looks
much fitter and stronger than last year. I would've thought he was a big longshot to stick, but now......not so sure.

We have a lot of young talent on the OL. Stay tuned.

Couple of OL notes from last night:

I'm still unpacking last night, but while Cajuste still makes more mental mistakes than I'd like to see there isn't that much difference between him
and Wynn, imo. If we could move Wynn for a decent deal then we might be in a reasonably good position to pull the trigger because we
do have some young guys that could factor in behind Cajuste. I think if he had a chance to play regularly at one position then he could work
out the kinks and perform well.

We haven't seen Andrew Steuber yet due to some sort of injury, but he looks like a better-than-average RT prospect to me and shouldn't need
years of grooming to produce. That is a guess.

Sure, it would be risky, but we'll likely only keep one swing tackle on the 53. Herron doesn't appear to be improving, to put it kindly, even though
every once in a while he shows a textbook pass block with beautiful feet and balance. I figure that is why we have been working with him from 3 years-- he'll
tease you with that athleticism, but between the false starts and just plain bad plays I thought he was, once again, herrondous. We've got to pull the plug
on this experiment, but I wouldn't bet real money that Bill sees it the same way.

My impressions on some of the other guys:

Cole Strange -- I thought he didn't look out of place in the NFL. A little squirrelly here and there on who to block, but nothing bad. He made a nice, quick pull and trapped
the inside tackle on an inside1st down run by J.J. and didn't look overmatched at any point. He'll be solid soon and better than that before long. He looks bigger already. On
one play he squared off with Leonard Williams, who is large, and Strange looked about the same size as him.

A. Hambright -- took a lot of snaps and did fairly well. Pretty mobile guy.

James Ferentz -- I've been calling for him to be cut for years, and hoped this would be the year, but he does actually appear marginally improved to my eyes and is the 2nd best Center on the roster by a wide margin.

Bill Murray -- one of the surprises of the night to me-- he didn't look half bad at RG versus the Giant's scrubs. He looked like he'd been playing the position
for a while and showed power, movement skill and intensity. He's got potential.

Drew Desjarlais -- a sleeper binkie of mine from watching some of his CFL clips -- I couldn't believe how much smaller he looked versus NFL backups. I didn't
see anything to make me feel like I'm right about him and Murray showed more overall polish after converting from DL about 2 weeks ago. Where was the
power Drew? He needs to make something happen and fast to stick around

Will Sherman -- Nope. No thank you.
Just a thought, don't need a specific back for ROT because Onwenhu can slide over. Then the best back up guard plays.

Back