QB rankings - Manning and Luck at the bottom

I am amused by early season results and stats.

My money is on Rivers continuing to throw at an 80% completion rate throughout the rest of the season!

I just checked the QB rankings and found this delightful, http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Manning is at #29
Luck is dead last

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of Luck's woes are caused by Pep Hamilton's system combined with Grigson's shit personnel.

Luck has zero protection, no receiving option at RB and yet is throwing deep on every other play. It's like the whole offense was designed around T.Y. Hilton and he's got injury issues.

I love to see the Colts struggling because I've given up defending them after their role in DFgate. However, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for Luck. It's not his fault his GM is a prick and he's too good to be throwing all these pics. I believe it is largely the OC's incompetence that is causing havoc. Where is the short game? Where is any attempt to adjust or show patience? Andre Johnson appears to be toast. He is dropping balls left and right and has no wheels. God, I'm glad the Pats didn't sign him.

I can't see it getting much better for Luck this year, either. It's going to be one hell of a learning experience if he can survive it all.

Guys that have progressed steadily and done the sorts of things he has in his short career don't just fall through the floorboards for no reason.

http://www.wthr.com/story/30084271/kravitz-as-luck-declines-so-do-the-reeling-winless-clueless-colts

By Bob Kravitz, WTHR SportsConnect

INDIANAPOLIS - Until now, Andrew Luck has been untouchable, unless, of course, he’s playing behind that porous Colts offensive line. Even when he’s thrown the ball to the other team, and he’s done that 21 times since 2014 – with seven fumbles – he’s been Teflon. All we’ve heard, and yes, I’ve been guilty of this, too, is that he doesn’t have enough help, that his revolving-door offensive line has not protected him the way a franchise quarterback should be protected.

All of that is true, to a point, and there’s no question Luck spent most of Monday night’s moribund 20-7 loss to the Jets either on his back or with a defender attached to his sternum. But he doesn’t escape responsibility for this one. Or the one a week ago in Buffalo.
Stated simply, Luck has stunk in 2015.

He walked on the field in Buffalo and walked off as the game’s second-best quarterback to somebody named Tyrod Taylor.
He walked on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium and walked off as the game’s second-best quarterback to a journeyman named Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has played with four different teams in the last four years.
The numbers he’s putting up? They’re Geno Smith numbers. I’m not making this up.

Since those charmed first two seasons, Luck has become a turnover machine, and he knows it. A lot of times, he takes responsibility for mistakes his teammates make. Shoot, he takes responsibility for global warming and all of Donald Trump’s verbal gaffes. This night, it was time for him to take responsibility for a dreadful performance that coincided with the general awfulness of his offensive teammates. This time, when he referred to making a bonehead mistake, he meant it.

I asked, “What are the primary issues now with this offense?’’
He answered: “My play -- turning the ball over, fumbles, interceptions… pretty glaring issue. I don’t want to take anything away from the Jets, but we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers. If we don’t clean those up, it’s hard to win.’’

I gave him something of an out, asking if he’s felt sped up, like the internal clock in his head is moving too fast because he’s uniformly under siege from attacking defenders.
He looked off into the distance. “No,’’ he said simply.
(Let’s be honest: Luck may be here 15 years, and you’re never going to hear him say, “Well, we had some protection problems.’’)

The most compelling portion of the night came after most of you had gone to bed, which actually might have happened late in the third quarter of a game that was less watchable than “Best Time Ever.’’ It happened when Chuck Pagano, seething like we’ve never seen him before, came to the post-game press conference and darned near went Jim Mora on us.
Everybody remembers the Mora “Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!!?’’ soliloquy, but all of that was inspired by a particular set of circumstances. Mora and Mora’s hand-picked defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, had been under the critical eye of then-GM Bill Polian. Meanwhile, the Golden Child, Peyton Manning, was forever being verbally bailed out by Polian, who didn’t believe Manning could do any wrong.

KRAVITZ: Colts should either extend Pagano or fire him - now
On that night, the defense played well against San Francisco, but Manning threw a couple of pick-sixes and generally left a noxious odor in the RCA Dome. And Mora wasn’t having any of it.
So he blasted Manning for consistently throwing the ball to the wrong team.

Rats are beginning to jump ship. More at link.

That is pretty harsh criticism from Kravitz but he is spot on. Luck has been a turnover machine going back to last season and now this season. The offense for sure is an issue but some of this reminds of Bledsoe back in 2000/2001. All we heard was how bad the Oline was, how all his weapons went to the Jets and then Brady stepped on the field and BAM, Super Bowl.

Falco, Cutler, Stafford and Brees are right there with them.

Yeah and Newton too. This season has really stunk for QB play. Other than Brady and Rodgers, everyone is playing like dog poop.

When your O-line sucks, your QB sucks.

I disagree as that is a simplistic way of looking at football. QBs are not just sitting ducks back there. They are at the line, setting the protections, making the reads, seeing the blitz and have to make a good decision and a good throw. That is how good QBing is done. There is never one unit on any team that is perfect in this era of FA and the cap so the QBs that are worth their salt understand that they can't always rely on the Oline being perfect. They have to be able to account for poor play and free rushers and make quick reads and get the ball out of their hands.

How many years did so many of us defend Bledsoe by blaming the OL?

Back