Radio Wars...Or, WEEI Is Gasping For Breath

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
ZLX (1510 AM) came in 2nd, 4 spots ahead of eei. How the mighty have used quarrelsome rudeness to earn their path to oblivion!

Its already high ratings bolstered by a Bruins run to the Stanley Cup Finals, 98.5 the Sports Hub posted some staggering numbers in the spring to finish first overall in the three-month radio ratings period for the third straight book.
The CBS Radio-owned station was tops in the men 25-54 demographic during the spring with a 10.2 share. That accounts for the period from March 28 to June 19.
WEEI 93.7 was tied for fifth overall with WKLB (5.5).
The Sports Hub, the flagship station of the Bruins, finished first overall by a significant margin. WZLX – also owned by CBS Radio – tied WBOS for second at 6.6.
In morning drive (6-10 a.m), The Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich'' program ran away with the top spot with a 13.4 share. WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan" was fifth with a 6.0, though it did see an uptick to 7.0 in June.
In the evenings (7-p.m-midnight), The Sports Hub, featuring the Adam Jones Show and Bruins game broadcasts, was first with a 13.4 share, including a massive 16.2 in June. WEEI's nighttime programming, including the Planet Mikey Show and Red Sox and Celtics broadcasts, was second (9.7, including a 10.2 in June).
The ratings for the specific midday (10 a.m.-2 p.m.) and afternoon drive (2 p.m.-6 p.m.) day parts aren't yet available. But from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., the Sports Hub had an 8.2 share in the spring, good for second in that window, while WEEI had a 5.7, which was seventh (4.2). That includes midday programming and the first hour of afternoon drive.
From 3 to 7 p.m., the Sports Hub was first in the timeframe with a 13.4, while WEEI was tied for third with a 5.7. In June, the Sports Hub had a 14.8 in that four-hour span, while WEEI was at 5.8.
I'll update with the breakdowns of the specific shows when they become available.
The Sports Hub also topped the fall and winter ratings periods.
Last spring, when the Celtics made a deep postseason run before falling to the Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals, WEEI, which carries their games, was second. The Sports Hub was fourth then.
http://www.boston.com/sports/touchi...d_for_fifth.html?camp=twit:tatb&dlvrit=845880

But...

But...

There's no market for hockey!

They laughed at us. They mocked us. They jeered derisively at any interest shown by a caller.

They reap what they sow.

Funny. Fat Ordway seems MUCH less abrasive, loud, obnoxious, and condescending during his fill-ins on CSSNE...

But...

But...

They laughed at us. They mocked us. They jeered derisively at any interest shown by a caller.

They reap what they sow.

Funny. Fat Ordway seems MUCH less abrasive, loud, obnoxious, and condescending during his fill-ins on CSSNE...

The day 98.5 hit the air, I said bye-bye to EEI. That station treated hockey fans like shit and openly mocked it. Screw you.
I'm not a big Dale Arnold guy, but Andelman treated him like a fool when he tried to talk hockey, gave him 1 hour a week..

Enjoy 5th place douchebags.

The day 98.5 hit the air, I said bye-bye to EEI. That station treated hockey fans like shit and openly mocked it. Screw you.
I'm not a big Dale Arnold guy, but Andelman treated him like a fool when he tried to talk hockey, gave him 1 hour a week..

Enjoy 5th place douchebags.

Me too. Pretty much switched over the day the Hub when on the air.

Also didn't hurt that you could actually get reception with 98.5 if you were outside of 128/95. EEI's switch to FM was too little, too late.

Me too. Pretty much switched over the day the Hub when on the air.

Also didn't hurt that you could actually get reception with 98.5 if you were outside of 128/95. EEI's switch to FM was too little, too late.

I still lose them at times, they become static filled.

I just hate Gresh and Zo? Mostly Gresh but having meet Zo he is a douche I could tolerate.

I still lose them at times, they become static filled.

I just hate Gresh and Zo? Mostly Gresh but having meet Zo he is a douche I could tolerate.

Gresh is a complete tool; I don't mind Zo. B

I just wish that Holley would jump over to the Hub. He's the best of them all, and is on the poorer station.

Gresh is a complete tool; I don't mind Zo. B

I just wish that Holley would jump over to the Hub. He's the best of them all, and is on the poorer station.

Agreed, Holley is very good, If I never heard Dennis and Callahan again it would be awesome.
And I am in the minority but I miss Ordway..... hate me......

I don't like the Hubs morning show but it's better than D and C. I like Zolak but Gresh can suck it with his loud ass mouth. And Felger and Mazz area bunch of huge Douches. So I don't listen to the Hub.

I listen too EEI for Mutt and Merloni but the drive time show I'm split. Love Holley but I wanna punch Salk in is whineass mouth.

But...

But...

They reap what they sow.

Hockey Tockey ROFL

I don't like the Hubs morning show but it's better than D and C. I like Zolak but Gresh can suck it with his loud ass mouth. And Felger and Mazz area bunch of huge Douches. So I don't listen to the Hub.

I listen too EEI for Mutt and Merloni but the drive time show I'm split. Love Holley but I wanna punch Salk in is whineass mouth.

Thankfully my morning drive is early, before D(ouche)&C(urretage) or T&R. If Amendolara or JT the Brick are off subject I've found myself listening to more and more country music stations. No doubt my daughter's influence. She's in grad school at URI and that's all she and her friends listen to nowadays. For that 20-30 year old crowd, country has been 'it' for the last 5 or 6 years.

D&C and T&R are so bad I wouldn't listen if I could. Politics, negative news headlines, arguing and bad jokes aren't appealing to me first thing in the morning.

I'm with you on Gresh. Loud, pompous, always right. The louder he lectures the more I don't believe a word. Zolak is an immature frat boy but close to game time he used to bring a little of what seemed like inside info. No more though, the Pats must have caught on to his good guy facade. He seems off limits to the Pats for all but the smallest of small talk.

Felger and Mazz were good when they first started...for about 6 months. I rarely listen to them now & when I do they make me remember real quickly why I tuned them out in the first place. And I don't often listen to sports talk radio in the afternoon but if I do it's usually 1510 AM which is real sports talk. Ironically, 1510 is owned by CBS wh/ also owns the Sports Hub. 1510 was meant to be a less slick, lower budget meat and potatoes alternative sports station but it has become more popular than CBS ever imagined.

I do like Holley but he's it on eei for me. Mutt & Merloni on 98.5 are good, too. Other than that, I don't know why I listen to either station anymore, really.

I stream the Hub all day at work.
Until 98.5 came along, I listened to ESPN radio, which was tolerable.
I haven't listened to 'EEI in years. I refuse to listen to any station which employs KKKallahan.

As far as morning shows go, mike and mike is the best of anything they've tried on the two sports talk radio stations around here

'EEI can suck my balls..... Hate those muthereffers.... Arrogance personified...

Thank God for SiriusXM radio, Mike and Mike in the Morning and NFL Radio with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan for the ride home....

Listened to T&R during the B's run cuz as good as Mike and Mike are, they are disproportionally into Hoops over Hockey in the winter months...

Ironic.

The sport the sports talk show wanted no part of ultimately rebounded in the area and dealt them the fatal 2 hander they deserve.

Ironic.

The sport the sports talk show wanted no part of ultimately rebounded in the area and dealt them the fatal 2 hander they deserve.

Agreed. I can only speak for myself, but that the reason I left and won't go back. Tehrick doesn't forget..

Agreed. I can only speak for myself, but that the reason I left and won't go back. Tehrick doesn't forget..

98.5 embraces hockey talk. They've proven there's an audience for it. The hosts are all knowledgable discussing it. And they are supported for it.

EEI, chew good on that salty bag o dicks.

I love Holley but Salk grates on my nerves. I listen to that show for Holley otherwise it's all 98.5 for me too.

I've grown to enjoy listening to hockey talk (didn't grow up watching hockey, grew up in an area in central MA where hockey wasn't really played, etc). I've learned a lot from the Sports Hub re: Bruins hockey.

Thankfully my morning drive is early, before D(ouche)&C(urretage) or T&R. If Amendolara or JT the Brick are off subject I've found myself listening to more and more country music stations. No doubt my daughter's influence. She's in grad school at URI and that's all she and her friends listen to nowadays. For that 20-30 year old crowd, country has been 'it' for the last 5 or 6 years.

D&C and T&R are so bad I wouldn't listen if I could. Politics, negative news headlines, arguing and bad jokes aren't appealing to me first thing in the morning.

I'm with you on Gresh. Loud, pompous, always right. The louder he lectures the more I don't believe a word. Zolak is an immature frat boy but close to game time he used to bring a little of what seemed like inside info. No more though, the Pats must have caught on to his good guy facade. He seems off limits to the Pats for all but the smallest of small talk.

Felger and Mazz were good when they first started...for about 6 months. I rarely listen to them now & when I do they make me remember real quickly why I tuned them out in the first place. And I don't often listen to sports talk radio in the afternoon but if I do it's usually 1510 AM which is real sports talk. Ironically, 1510 is owned by CBS wh/ also owns the Sports Hub. 1510 was meant to be a less slick, lower budget meat and potatoes alternative sports station but it has become more popular than CBS ever imagined.

I do like Holley but he's it on eei for me. Mutt & Merloni on 98.5 are good, too. Other than that, I don't know why I listen to either station anymore, really.

I've been listening to 1510 all afternoon. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know it existed. So far seems to be pretty cool.

Back