Random acts of kindness

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
When was the last time you did a random act of kindness? When was the last time someone did it for you?

We walk early in the morning. It is still dark. Along the way, we walk the newspaper to the resident’s front door. The majority of my neighborhood are elderly and up. Also, if we see a mailbox door open, we will shut it. If there is trash or recycle can out, and the lid is uncovered, we tend to close that when there is a high chance of rain. We have moved cans back to the front of the house from the road.

We do it for no other reason.

A couple down the street have been trying to find out who has been doing this. A neighbor two doors down, who we know, saw us in passing and told them it was us.

Today, as I waited at the end of the driveway, I hear the newspaper hit the door, but soon I hear voices. Looking in that direction, I see a woman, and soon her husband joins her as he called me over.

My husband asked them what were they doing up so early? Apparently, according to them, they have been getting up early for a few days trying to catch us.

They wanted to personally thank us by giving me a bouquet of sweet-smelling red carnations and my husband a nice water bottle.

I immediately teared up. We were both surprised at the tenderness of this couple and the sweet nature. Not to forget, they got up early for days to catch us since they did not know where we lived.

This has made my day and will make it more days after.

When was the last time you did a random act of kindness? When was the last time someone did it for you?

We walk early in the morning. It is still dark. Along the way, we walk the newspaper to the resident’s front door. The majority of my neighborhood are elderly and up. Also, if we see a mailbox door open, we will shut it. If there is trash or recycle can out, and the lid is uncovered, we tend to close that when there is a high chance of rain. We have moved cans back to the front of the house from the road.

We do it for no other reason.

A couple down the street have been trying to find out who has been doing this. A neighbor two doors down, who we know, saw us in passing and told them it was us.

Today, as I waited at the end of the driveway, I hear the newspaper hit the door, but soon I hear voices. Looking in that direction, I see a woman, and soon her husband joins her as he called me over.

My husband asked them what were they doing up so early? Apparently, according to them, they have been getting up early for a few days trying to catch us.

They wanted to personally thank us by giving me a bouquet of sweet-smelling red carnations and my husband a nice water bottle.

I immediately teared up. We were both surprised at the tenderness of this couple and the sweet nature. Not to forget, they got up early for days to catch us since they did not know where we lived.

This has made my day and will make it more days after.
And I'm not big on accepting gifts. My Lawyers cynicism makes me worry about the "what's the price" question. But those are gifts to be gladly and proudly accepted. Good on you.

Late may through June the turtles are out to lay their eggs. I often find them in the middle of the road. I always stop and cary them across (in the direction in which they are pointing). Have an incapacitated cousin whom I take shopping on call. Always shagging wind blown trash buckets (My dad did this back when they were all metal cans). The thing is there are so many things like this right in front of your eyes that take little time and liittle effort that instantly reward you for having done them. And I have but need a new RAK T shirt.

As to recieving such a gift, 2 or so months ago I was out shopin, I"d lost my wallet and hadn't yet realized it. When I got home, A car and a Young woman (a teen I suspect) was sitting there waiting for me to retuurn it. Wonderful, plus lifts my hopes for the new generations.

Great topic, I know tons here will agree,

Cheers

And I'm not big on accepting gifts. My Lawyers cynicism makes me worry about the "what's the price" question. But those are gifts to be gladly and proudly accepted. Good on you.

Late may through June the turtles are out to lay their eggs. I often find them in the middle of the road. I always stop and cary them across (in the direction in which they are pointing). Have an incapacitated cousin whom I take shopping on call. Always shagging wind blown trash buckets (My dad did this back when they were all metal cans). The thing is there are so many things like this right in front of your eyes that take little time and liittle effort that instantly reward you for having done them. And I have but need a new RAK T shirt.

Great topic, I know tons here will agree,
I have stopped a four lane road, while my son moved a turtle out of the road.

We have been honked out and yelled at in other times, but we will still move them out of the way and yes point them in the directin they are headed, even if that is further away from where you find them.

You are a peach, Mr. Lawyer. 💕

What a wonderful story about that young lady doing that. Bravo to her.

You are so right, there are so many things out there that take little time and thought and will not make our lives worse by doing so.

My motto for years has been to do something nice for someone at least once a day. Even if it's just holding a door open or something like that. I drove that example into my kids.
I am never comfortable talking about an act of kindness or charity but I do think it's important and I think the world would be a better place if everyone tried to do one nice thing for someone every day.
I also think there's a lot more good people in this world than we might be led to think by headlines and reports of crime and abuse that garner a lot of attention.

Always give a fair warning….

Attachments

• 068AEA29-58B7-4C99-ACD6-1C2E61747857.jpeg
    068AEA29-58B7-4C99-ACD6-1C2E61747857.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 12
Nice thread
i return shopping carts on my path into stores so no one's vehicle gets dinged and they have a repair they didn't plan on.

My motto for years has been to do something nice for someone at least once a day. Even if it's just holding a door open or something like that. I drove that example into my kids.
I am never comfortable talking about an act of kindness or charity but I do think it's important and I think the world would be a better place if everyone tried to do one nice thing for someone every day.
I also think there's a lot more good people in this world than we might be led to think by headlines and reports of crime and abuse that garner a lot of attention.
I've honestly shied away from holding doors for women under fifty. Did it always (for any one of the thousands of different genders), but insulted too many feminista to not get a little gunshy.

Thank you so much for this, Muse.

Much like Patswin I don't often speak of these things as it's just something deep in me to do in so many areas. And it is not altruistic in nature, which I consider a fundamental evil moral philosophy, It comes from my respect and love for humanity and those who are my highest values and I run it out in spades.

From the simple act of holding a door to stopping traffic to allow a gaggle of turkeys to cross the road unharmed, to taking apples and carrots to horses that look like they are having a tough existence, to buying a rose for my best friend for no other reason than I love her deeply and her favorite song is by Kenny Rogers, Buy Me A Rose, to my taking in mentoring my dearest friend an ex-girlfriend Cindy's 18-year-old son so he has a fighting chance to develop his incredible soul in a world out to crush it as she succumbs to cancer, to working one on one with one of my life's loves to find her way in the world to everything I write and fight to the death for at much risk to my liberty and life.

All this comes from a place of the love of the beauty and potential greatness mankind holds so deeply within them.

If anyone paid attention and took a step back and had an open look at everything I write and do it is all out of kindness to those who deserve it.

My capacity for love is limitless. Things really started fully coming together in my mind 10 years ago, my lifetime of study, work, trials, and tribulations all just began to become fully integrated delivering a sense of wisdom and now my life's goal is to build bridges and lend a hand wherever I have influence.

My soulmate, the most epic woman I have ever known in my life espouses the thought, flowers are for the living. I take that to heart. Just a quick genuine smile or a huge props for something well done goes very far in this world.

On your second thought, no, I receive little of it in return in fact I often receive derision in return and that's OK although it does hurt a bit at times especially when I could use a boost, but those close to me have my back and provide most of the soul-nourishment I require alt the right times.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this, Muse.

Much like Patswin I don't often speak of these things as it's just something deep in me to do in so many areas. And it is not altruistic in nature, which I consider a fundamental evil moral philosophy, It comes from my respect and love for humanity and those who are my highest values and I run it out in spades.

From the simple act of holding a door to stopping traffic to allow a gaggle of turkeys to cross the road unharmed, to taking apples and carrots to horses that look like they are having a tough existence, to buying a rose for my best friend for no other reason than I love her deeply and her favorite song is by Kenny Rogers Buy Me A Rose, to my taking in mentoring my dearest friend an ex-girlfriend Cindy's 18-year-old son so he has a fighting chance to develop his incredible soul in a world out to crush it as she succumbs to cancer, to working one on one with one of my life's loves to find her way in the world to everything I write and fight to the death for at much risk to my liberty and life.

All this comes from a place of the love of the beauty and potential greatness mankind holds so deeply within them.

If anyone paid attention and took a step back and had an open look at everything I write and do it is all out of kindness to those who deserve it.

My capacity for love is limitless. Things really started fully coming together in my mind 10 years ago, my lifetime of study, work, trials, and tribulations all just began to become fully integrated delivering a sense of wisdom and now my life's goal is to build bridges and lend a hand wherever I have influence.

My soulmate, the most epic woman I have ever known in my life espouses the thought, flowers are for the living. I take that to heart. Just a quick genuine smile or a huge props for something well done goes very far in this world.
On your second thought, no, I receive little of it in return in fact I often receive derision in return and that's OK although it does hurt a bit at times especially when I could use a boost, but those close to me have my back and provide most of the soul-nourishment I require sometimes,

What surprises me is when people thank me for things and I wonder, "What did I do?" To me it is simply helping someout out regardless if they know or not. My family does not talk about it among ourselves but I have seen what my family has done and what people have told me they have done. Mom raised me this way and I have raised my son the same.

The first time my son noticed me helping someone he must have been five or six. He asked if I knew that person. When I said no he asked why would I help someone I didn't know. I told him, it cost me nothing. It made someone feel good. I am not the worse for it. We all, I feel, need to help others regardless how big or small, and regardless if it is noticed or not. Anyhoo, I am rambling. LOL It is just nice to see my son has carried on the baton forward.

Jesus Christ.

I know right!? Got that as a complete out-of-context post in Messenger after a deep and emotional discussion.

My childhood hero, Jim Morrison once said he has the soul of a clown apt to blow it at the worst possible time. That's our buddy piggy. Still love him though. :rofl: 💖

I've honestly shied away from holding doors for women under fifty. Did it always (for any one of the thousands of different genders), but insulted too many feminista to not get a little gunshy.
I found most doors in commercial businesses have 2 sets of double doors and if you just slow down a hair, the younger people will hold the next door for you. Allowing you to be who you were brought up to be (I think) and allowing them to feel you are not part of the "patriarchy."

Last week my wife and I were in Wal-Mart in the express line buying sunscreen for a trip to the beach. There was a young woman in front of us with 2 children probably around 7-9 years old. She had a small number of grocery items, some eggs, a few tomatoes, some canned goods, etc. I was my usual impatient self, dying to get through and get on my way to the beach. The woman spoke no English and tried to pay with Mexican currency. The cashier was a real dick, literally yelling at her saying she had to speak English and he topped it off by telling her loudly that they didn't take "Monopoly money." Now, I'm hot to get on the road to the beach and my cooler of Bud Lights once I got there. So, I told the cashier that he could add her charges onto mine. He asked me why I would want to do that. I told him, more loudly than I should have, that I was hot, thirsty and that I just wanted to "get to the fucking beach." His response? " OK, but you didn't have to swear" God, help me...

I don't. I hold doors for all as appropriate (distance). I walk on the outside of the sidewalk for my wife and daughter. I hold elevators and get up out of my seat on public transportation if it gets full.

Have I received the evil eye on occasion? Yup. I simply smile more broadly.

Our kids are the same way. Our 20 year old daughter is tough as nails and fiercely independent. She WILL slash your calf on the ice for as little as a wrong look. That said, I promise you that if you hold the door for her she will smile and thank you both gratefully and confidently (maybe not the penalty box door...).

Be who you want to be... with confidence.

Last edited:
Ice Cream truck came around yesterday and I was home (I knew they were coming since I asked them when they were on facebook). Had some cash to deposit into the bank so I kept out 25. Five was for us but Olivia doesn't eat table food still, my wife was at work, my father in law didn't want anything, so our total was 1.50. Gave them the 25 to pay it forward. Wanted ot do it for a while but was never home.

I hold doors, return other peoples carriages if they are in the parking lot, and numerous things that I just consider "nice things to do" and don't expect anything for it. (always nice to hear a genuine "thank you" but not needed). I have on a few occasions gotten to the drive up window only to be told the person in front of me paid for mine. some nice Karma perhaps. I did that myself once or twice but should really do that more often. those nice positive touches can make a difference.

Back