Random Football News, 2021

Yes, absolutely, please give them all your money.

E4r6nYOXIAUyHto

I really think Brady broke Rodgers.

The "walk away and win the SB" thingy is more that Arod can stand.
I agree. Imagine being Rodgers and you are at home for the first time in your career for the NFCCG. You are the MVP, you have the best scoring offense in the league, a warm weather team is coming in and Brady is 43. And he beats you. LOL. I mean the amount of frustration the guy has is palpable. And new reports are indicating that his real beef is with mgmt not getting him enough talent or keeping the talent which falls right in line with Tampa giving Brady everything he wanted last year.

He has to opt out by July 2 which is an irrevocable decision once he makes it. Not sure if he has the guts to make a decision that soon but the amount of money he would save is significant but if he does it than his 2021 season is over.

Last edited:
Not playing is a no win for Rodgers. If Love sucks, he let the team down and if Love is great he gone

My question is -- can the Packers afford to have Rodgers sit out? Love is being thrown to the wolves, and I think it's about 80-20% chance he's not ready.

My question is -- can the Packers afford to have Rodgers sit out? Love is being thrown to the wolves, and I think it's about 80-20% chance he's not ready.
Well how long do you want them to wait? This is his second year pro. He will be asking for a new contract after next year, probably.

Not playing is a no win for Rodgers. If Love sucks, he let the team down and if Love is great he gone

KOK is right. GB just lost lots of leverage.
Oh, I don't know about that. He can threaten to use the opt-out or else. By opting out he keeps the $18M + can't be fined $2M. That's a win right there.
Plus, he forces GB's hand to trade him before the deadline or eat the dead cap. If they call his bluff he opts out and goes on vacation for a year.
That's a win-win for Rodgers in his mind.

Well how long do you want them to wait? This is his second year pro. He will be asking for a new contract after next year, probably.

Well Packers won't be able to wait any longer since Rodgers seems to have all the leverage.

Well Packers won't be able to wait any longer since Rodgers seems to have all the leverage.
Rodgers has no leverage. He is under contract for 3 years. If he opts out his contract will toll and he will still be under contract for 3 years. They have his replacement in Love.

It would seem the most likely scenario is he sits out this year and gets traded in March for a boat load of picks. GB is more than happy to wait him out given their compensation for him won't come until next year's draft anyways.

Rodgers has no leverage. He is under contract for 3 years. If he opts out his contract will toll and he will still be under contract for 3 years. They have his replacement in Love.

It would seem the most likely scenario is he sits out this year and gets traded in March for a boat load of picks. GB is more than happy to wait him out given their compensation for him won't come until next year's draft anyways.

Wrong. He's able to opt out this year without losing money. He definitely has all the leverage unless the Packers are content with letting him sit while they eat his salary.

Wrong. He's able to opt out this year without losing money. He definitely has all the leverage unless the Packers are content with letting him sit while they eat his salary.
It would be cap suicide for the Packers to trade him this year. That would hurt them more than just paying his salary.

I highly doubt he opts out on July 2 anyway as that irrevocably ends his season meaning a trade is off the table as well.

While Rodgers could opt out and not forfeit $18m he otherwise would have lost with a hold out--the Packers would still get significant salary cap relief if he opts out. From a salary cap standpoint it is much better he opt out as compared to trading him right now as I said above.

This article does a good job explaining it. Here is a snippet.

As noted by OverTheCap.com’s Jason Fitzgerald, Rodgers’ cap charge for 2021 would drop from $36.702 million to $6.8 million, a savings of $29.902 million. That would be a financial windfall that could be used for contract extensions (Davante Adams or Jaire Alexander) or simply carried forward to next season ...

“The cost to trade Rodgers would remain high ($31.556M) next year,” Fitzgerald wrote, “but there would be no rush for Green Bay to execute the move and they could in theory even delay it to June 2 if they found a partner to play ball since his cap number would have dropped by so much following the opt out. The decision would also be far easier for all involved since they would have 17 games of Love to evaluate. If Love is terrible, then they know it is time to mend the fences with Rodgers and continue the relationship with no threat of benching for the next three years. If Love is good, they can trade Rodgers without all the negativity that would come with it this year.”

Last edited:
Back