Random Football News, 2021

It does not look like Rodgers can opt out unless he has developed a condition related to Covid since October.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, wording in the previously mentioned memo states that players who did not opt out last year can only do so for the 2021 season if they "developed a high-risk condition" since Oct. 1. Voluntary opt-outs get no stipend this time around, and Florio notes that Rodgers would lose $14.7 million in salary that would be shifted to 2022 if he chooses to not play this fall.

It does not look like Rodgers can opt out unless he has developed a condition related to Covid since October.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, wording in the previously mentioned memo states that players who did not opt out last year can only do so for the 2021 season if they "developed a high-risk condition" since Oct. 1. Voluntary opt-outs get no stipend this time around, and Florio notes that Rodgers would lose $14.7 million in salary that would be shifted to 2022 if he chooses to not play this fall.

This may not be true at all. Plenty of articles maintain Rodgers can opt out for 2021.

If he CAN opt out and does opt out, I don't agree with Jason Fitzgerald's position that this helps the Packers. Love vs Rodgers is a non-starter. End of debate. Delaying all that dead cap only puts it off a year; it doesn't erase it. Adams loves Rodgers. Adams is under contract for this year and they'd have to overpay him on any new contract if Rodgers isn't in GB. Using that money on Adams now is nonsense.

The Packers' best way out of this mess is to kiss and make up with ARod or to trade him for high picks +/- a QB. Trading him saves them $16M on the cap this year according to overthecap. Getting a ROI is looking much better than playing a game of chicken with a guy who has made $240M in his career and would enjoy taking his money into a blissful life of golf and travel with his fiance.

Imagine the public outcry if the Packers let Rodgers walk and get nothing in return and still have to eat $38M in dead cap.

Last edited:

Honestly, while I looked on with some interest, I didn't get that into it for some reason.

I guess to me, the evil in the world is not necessary to focus on any longer than needed to eradicate it.

That evil is gone, I feel bad for the family's involved but that's it, I guess.

Honestly, while I looked on with some interest, I didn't get that into it for some reason.

I guess to me, the evil in the world is not necessary to focus on any longer than needed to eradicate it.

That evil is gone, I feel bad for the family's involved but that's it, I guess.

Exactly, he's in Tampa now. :coffee:

On a pure footballing note, Hernandez was outstanding when he came to the Pats. He and Gronk were game changers, the league hadn't seen anything like it before really. And Hernandez was a real utility player who could do multiple things.

As a person, clearly a scumbag and a player that seemed to slip through the scrutiny net here when recruited. There were red flags all over the place about him.

But as a football player, brilliant.

This is what I figured. I think there is zero chance Rodgers torpedoes his season this Friday. He still wants to play football this year.

On a pure footballing note, Hernandez was outstanding when he came to the Pats. He and Gronk were game changers, the league hadn't seen anything like it before really. And Hernandez was a real utility player who could do multiple things.

As a person, clearly a scumbag and a player that seemed to slip through the scrutiny net here when recruited. There were red flags all over the place about him.

But as a football player, brilliant.
I loved him as a player. He was everywhere in the playoff game vs the Broncos in 2011 when we played Tebow. He lined up at RB, TE and WR. Just a beast.

Funny how exceptional talent is so often associated with warped personalities. :rolleyes:

On the football field he was a match up nightmare. Turns out in the real world he was just a nightmare...

Back