Random Football News 2022

And all of a sudden, the Bills are in a tricky situation. Away to Balti next then the Steelers at home and then away to KC, a bye and then home to the Packers.

Interesting points from Peter King in FMIA today on QB play from the megastars so far. That they've been less than stellar and suggests, defenses are causing this. All part of the continuing fascinating games of chess we see each week in the NFL.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen played on Sunday. They quarterbacked their teams to 12, 14, 17 and 19 points, respectively. Now, this could be a coincidence, and of course it’s only three weeks of games (not including the last games of the month, Cowboys-Giants tonight and Dolphins-Bengals on Thursday). The season’s just 17-percent complete.

But the two big national games with offensive geniuses galore that closed out Sunday football ended with scores of 14-12 and 11-10. To see Rodgers and Brady struggle as they have, to see Russell Wilson throw two touchdown passes in three games with a starry receiving corps … something just might be up.

I do think part of what we’re seeing is a reflection of how defenses are playing, with the consistent two-deep-safety look that’s a part of the game’s current trendy D, the scheme that forces offenses to win underneath with long drives. Perfect example Sunday in Tampa: Midway through the third quarter, the Bucs had two safeties lined up 18 yards deep against Aaron Rodgers, showing nothing before the snap or very early in the snap. Tampa safety Logan Ryan waited, waited, waited and then, when Rodgers threw, Ryan jumped the route of the receiver and picked it off.

Did you see the snippiness between Patrick Mahomes and KC offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy Sunday, just before halftime in Indy? That was prompted by Mahomes misfiring on two downfield throws because, as he said later, “The Colts were in a deep coverage.” (Logical for end-of-half situations, of course.) But the Colts are like so many other defenses. They’d prefer you try to beat them with 13-play drives, not eight-. The logic: offenses have a better chance to turn it over, or to get to a fourth-and-long, in 13 plays than eight.

Now, two-deep snaps are being used about the same as through three weeks last year. But as one team analyst told me, there’s significantly more complexity to an offensive playbook than defensive. So it makes sense that early in the season, offenses wouldn’t be as in-sync as defenses would. Again—three weeks is not a time to make definitive judgments. It’s just time to raise an eyebrow.

As Mike Vrabel once said about defensive football, coverage is about figuring out the worst thing that can happen to you and doing whatever is necessary to prevent that thing from happening. Disguising deep safeties is certainly not the only reason why scoring is down 5.0 points per game through three weeks, but it’s something to watch.

Interesting points from Peter King in FMIA today on QB play from the megastars so far. That they've been less than stellar and suggests, defenses are causing this. All part of the continuing fascinating games of chess we see each week in the NFL.

PK is right about the 2 deep S thing but it's more than just that. Take it 1 step farther using the Bills-Dolphins game as my example.

__dd4d4e0f6ec767b7fbf14422bff74b3c.jpg

Was listening to a very good interview with the great Ed Reed. He really hated Hines Ward! Said he was the dirtiest player he ever faced. Called the Steelers a dirty team back then.

Now that's a stretch to hear a Raven from that era calling any player dirty, but I get his point on Ward, I always hated that prick.

Was listening to a very good interview with the great Ed Reed. He really hated Hines Ward! Said he was the dirtiest player he ever faced. Called the Steelers a dirty team back then.

Now that's a stretch to hear a Raven from that era calling any player dirty, but I get his point on Ward, I always hated that prick.
Yeah, but I wanted him (or one like him) on our team! A WR who plays smart, dangerous enough that you have to respect him, and sets his personal self worth on the strength of his run blocking? Yes, please.

As to E. D. Reed, I loved that guy, respected the hell out of him as a player - he scared the crap out of me - and my long-distance impression was always that he got unjustly lumped in with the thugs in Baltimore.

Yeah, but I wanted him (or one like him) on our team! A WR who plays smart, dangerous enough that you have to respect him, and sets his personal self worth on the strength of his run blocking? Yes, please.

As to E. D. Reed, I loved that guy, respected the hell out of him as a player - he scared the crap out of me - and my long-distance impression was always that he got unjustly lumped in with the thugs in Baltimore.

Yeah, I noticed that Ed didn't seem that pally or close with Lewis or Suggs.

Judging by the centre lock alloys and the vent at the side, that's a Porsche 911 Turbo S! That's a serious car. It is insanely fast; 0-60mph in 2.1 seconds! And the 1/4 mile in 9.9. It's a savage.

Last edited:
Matt Ryan is the Colts' QB.
Ya think Amazon Prime has a sense of humor or no?

:rofl:

Fd3_7UqX0AEFsgm
I'm thinking it's just a hilarious coincidence. Now maybe if 28 was just some random player for the Colts but not when he's their best offensive weapon.

I'm thinking it's just a hilarious coincidence. Now maybe if 28 was just some random player for the Colts but not when he's their best offensive weapon.

Nah. That was 100% trolling Matt Ryan imo.

PK is right about the 2 deep S thing but it's more than just that. Take it 1 step farther using the Bills-Dolphins game as my example.

If the point totals are down that much I'd point to all the hand-fighting, grabbin' and gouging from DBs all over the league. And hitting a guy before the ball arrives
is allowed with regularity. I don't care what the rules say--- they are letting shit go more and more.

Back when Polian was running the competition committee he had it fixed so that if a DB gave the WR stinkeye,
or made an uncharitable suggestion then the hankies would go flying.

The worst thing about futbol is all the drama queens diving to get a free kick. The worst thing about NFL football is the unenforceable rules being administered by
crews that seem to be guessing at what they should call based on how much trouble they could get into. I mean, we wouldn't have that Zappe TD except for zebra
incompetence and that's not the first big blunder involving the play clock lately. I'm just glad Bill didn't have a stroke today dealing with those slappies.

Back