Random Football News 2022

I'd love to know how much of it is guaranteed, because this is really stupid amount.

This isn't prime, game wrecking 25 year old Von Miller we're talking about here.

That is a really good question.

That's a lot of money for a soon to be 33 year old pass rusher.
He got that same amount of money that a 32-year old Chandler Jones got.

He's not the 25-year old Von but he is still pretty good. With the other assets we have on our DLine, he is going to shine.

Don't forget, he is coming to the#1 D. ;)

Just a heads up. Tony is not a credible source for the way any fan feels about anything. He is on one of the most toxic radio shows in Boston. Their whole schtick is to be obscenely negative and piss people off. For the right personality types, it gives them ratings.
Thanks.

The Pulpit had a reaction along the same lines. And I have seen many of the Boston proud with takes in this same vein.

View: https://twitter.com/patspulpit/status/1504229625941086210

The Boston Proud media that is.

It's mostly negative garbage to drive ratings.

And of course, if you click on that Pats pulpit click bait twitter title and read the article, the 'Yikes' is gone and it's mostly fact based. No teeth nashing at all.

The Boston Proud media that is.

It's mostly negative garbage to drive ratings.
No doubt. However, there seems to be a consensus around the league with this signing. I have seen very few, if any negative takes.

ETA: I see you amended your post to add the part about the "Yikes." Understood. However, that Tweet is from the Pulpit and as such, I believe it reflects their understanding.

Last edited:

I think Jones began to decline last season. 32 years old, had 10.5 sacks in 18 games (including the postseason).

5 of those sacks came in a single game, meaning he had 5.5 total sacks across the other 17 games. That's a significant decline in production.

I think Jones began to decline last season. 32 years old, had 10.5 sacks in 18 games (including the postseason).

5 of those sacks came in a single game, meaning he had 5.5 total sacks across the other 17 games. That's a significant decline in production.

I remember him and his disappearing acts in the playoffs when he played with the Pats, so it doesn't surprise me that he had such a poor output as the season wore on.

McDaniels basically signed him off that 5 sack game.

No doubt. However, there seems to be a consensus around the league with this signing. I have seen very few, if any negative takes.

ETA: I see you amended your post to add the part about the "Yikes". Understood. However, that Tweet is from the Pulpit and as such, I believe it reflects their understanding.

It is a "good" move for your team, or at least appears so for next season, and "league consensus" always applauds somebody who signed a big-name superstar for huge
money because it means they are aggressive and going for a Lombardi. Nobody cheers for fiscal restraint because it's boring.

You'd have to expect that we'll lowball the move, because we're rivals who just got our asses kicked twice in a row and we'd like to see him miss a lot of games
with injury (which is not unlikely) and the overall momentum of your team to take a hit because for every superstar signed then there is a price the team pays in various ways, limited
options on other FAs, cap issues, etc., etc.

It's a tale as old as time, which is one reason why we've been good for a long time. We go upper-middle class with a sprinkling of big contracts while some teams collect a
half-dozen stars at the top and a steep dropoff of cheap guys. It's a philosophical thing. Everybody has the same cap, but not everybody gets a trophy.

Did you expect us to cheer for the move?

Did you expect us to cheer for the move?
No, of course not. I've been here long enough to know that the Boston Proud would never do that.

It is a "good" move for your team, or at least appears so for next season, and "league consensus" always applauds somebody who signed a big-name superstar for huge
money because it means they are aggressive and going for a Lombardi. Nobody cheers for fiscal restraint because it's boring.
We have watched many teams throughout the league flaunt the salary cap system for years. Teams like what the Saints did, the Rams have done, the Bucs are still doing (Godwin just signed for $20mm/yr for 3 yrs). It does eventually catch up to you, and you can only kick the can down the road so many years.

That said, Magic Beane has spent the last 4 years structuring contracts so that he was able to do what he did today with a minimal impact upon future years. The release or non-signing of several of our free agents, restructure of a few contracts has us in good shape going forward really. We still are able to do quite a bit if McBeane deems it warranted.

You'd have to expect that we'll lowball the move, because we're rivals who just got our asses kicked twice in a row and we'd like to see him miss a lot of games
with injury (which is not unlikely) and the overall momentum of your team to take a hit because for every superstar signed then there is a price the team pays in various ways, limited
options on other FAs, cap issues, etc., etc.
See above.

It's a tale as old as time, which is one reason why we've been good for a long time. We go upper-middle class with a sprinkling of big contracts while some teams collect a
half-dozen stars at the top and a steep dropoff of cheap guys. It's a philosophical thing. Everybody has the same cap, but not everybody gets a trophy.
I had a response here but, while it contains truth, it is probably somewhat antagonistic so I deleted it.

:beer:

Judon's cheerleading is 95% having fun. He might be able to convince a player weighing two similar deals that NE is a rewarding place to play. But he was never going to be able to convince a player to take significantly less money (nor can any player), and/or convince BB and co. to shell out big bucks. That gif should be watched with a grin and a laugh.

Judon's cheerleading is 95% having fun. He might be able to convince a player weighing two similar deals that NE is a rewarding place to play. But he was never going to be able to convince a player to take significantly less money (nor can any player), and/or convince BB and co. to shell out big bucks. That gif should be watched with a grin and a laugh.
Any team that has to weigh their options because of the overspend of the past year...will have to be much more prudent than before. Yes, you can get a little creative with altering contracts for more flexibility, but, it still stands overall.

You do realize he will be 33 years old in 9 days. He'll be 36 and stealing money from you real soon. You're never going to convince me or anyone here this is a good deal for Buffalo.

Tony Mazz hates everything about the Patriots. He and his sidekick have made a living bashing the Patriots for 15 years or more.
I wouldn't be leaning on this guy for support for your cause. Real fans know he's wrong far more than he's right. We laugh at him and his clickbait schtick.

ETA: I see you amended your post to add the part about the "Yikes." Understood. However, that Tweet is from the Pulpit and as such, I believe it reflects their understanding.

Here's what reflects their understanding.

"Last season, however, Denver decided to trade the aging linebacker to the Los Angeles Rams. In L.A. Miller promptly added another championship to his already impressive résumé.
While there was speculation about a return to Denver in free agency, Miller is now taking his talents to the AFC East — earning a massive contract despite turning 33 later this month."

Not exactly glowing comments about Miller.
1. Denver cashed in big by trading him to LA
2. LA could have re-signed him but didn't want him
3. Denver knows him better than anyone and Denver didn't want him back.

This will become known as Beane's Folly. Joe Schoen would never have paid him that much. The Giants got the right guy.

Back