Random Football News 2022

1bf54f0b4055fb3959e6ebd14bae3663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Open competition between Darnold and Mayfield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would have to be, I think. Mayfield agreed to eat 3.5 million is guaranteed $ to make the deal happen. Now that I type that I wonder if he has been deemed the starter?

wow conditional 5th rd pick... :coffee: Mayfield must feel like a top shelf QB
Guessing we've seen the last "at home with Baker Mayfield" commercial.

Reminds me of that old ad where they have a case of beer and tell the guy he's been traded. he says "and you got me beer"... and they so "no, we traded you for the beer" :)

Last edited:
The panthers had to make this move. They had to, and they waited till the right time to get him for the best price. Still though it feels like a move that’s gonna make them just good enough to make them miss out on drafting a good QB, while not getting them anywhere close to decent playoff run.

This whole saga is one of the Browns-iest moves ever. In 2017, Cleveland had the first overall pick, and needed a QB since 2014 first round pick Johnny Manziel didn't look like he was going to work out. They could have selected Watson (or Mahomes). Instead, they took Myles Garrett, which was actually not a bad pick, but was an ugly domino.

But the following year they needed a QB, since Manziel was, uh, REALLY not looking like he was going to work out. Again had the first pick. They took Mayfield, with Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson on the board. Fast forward 3 years and the Cleveland brass is on the fence about whether Mayfield is their guy, but they have a team that is by all accounts loaded at the skill positions and have (in theory) put him in a position to succeed. He's injured, and plays injured, and doesn't perform very well.

So when Watson, err, suddenly became available for trade, Cleveland pounced. Giving him a suspension-protected contract that was nearly 100% guaranteed along with giving up 3 first rounders, a third rounder, and two fourth rounders for a 2024 6th rounder and the the privilege of giving him such a ridiculous contract.

Then, with a furious Mayfield still on the roster and having cut all their leverage away like the fat on a 5 year old's t-bone, they traded him for a conditional 5th rounder.

So, to recap, the Browns got
Deshaun Watson,
all Deshaun Watson's troubles,
saddled with what has the potential to be the worst contract in NFL history,
a 2024 6th, and
a 2024 conditional 5th,

and for that privilege paid just:
2018 #1 overall,
2022 1st,
2023 1st,
2024 1st,
2024 3rd,
2022 4th,
a 2024 4th,
...and $10MM of Mayfield's salary.

Last edited:
This whole saga is one of the Browns-iest moves ever. In 2017, Cleveland had the first overall pick, and needed a QB since 2014 first round pick Johnny Manziel didn't look like he was going to work out. They could have selected Watson (or Mahomes). Instead, they took Myles Garrett, which was actually not a bad pick, but was an ugly domino.

But the following year they needed a QB, since Manziel was, uh, REALLY not looking like he was going to work out. Again had the first pick. They took Mayfield, with Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson on the board. Fast forward 3 years and the Cleveland brass is on the fence about whether Mayfield is their guy, but they have a team that is by all accounts loaded at the skill positions and have (in theory) put him in a position to succeed. He's injured, and plays injured, and doesn't perform very well.

So when Watson, err, suddenly became available for trade, Cleveland pounced. Giving him a suspension-protected contract that was nearly 100% guaranteed along with giving up 3 first rounders, a third rounder, and two fourth rounders for a 2024 6th rounder and the the privilege of giving him such a ridiculous contract.

Then, with a furious Mayfield still on the roster and having cut all their leverage away like the fat on a 5 year old's t-bone, they traded him for a conditional 5th rounder.

So, to recap, the Browns got
Deshaun Watson,
all Deshaun Watson's troubles,
saddled with what has the potential to be the worst contract in NFL history,
a 2024 6th, and
a 2024 conditional 5th,

and for that privilege paid just:
2018 #1 overall,
2022 1st,
2023 1st,
2024 1st,
2024 3rd,