Random Football News: 2023

A radio host in Charlotte reported that Frank Reich was fired after Tepper told him he wanted more RPO's on offence. Reich declined and was fired shortly after.

That's not gonna help Tepper in his search for a coach for next year.

A radio host in Charlotte reported that Frank Reich was fired after Tepper told him he wanted more RPO's on offence. Reich declined and was fired shortly after.

That's not gonna help Tepper in his search for a coach for next year.

There are only 32 HC jobs. All he has to do is throw an extra million at em and they will come running. I mean, Irsay has never had a problem hiring a HC. Or Jerruh.

There are only 32 HC jobs. All he has to do is throw an extra million at em and they will come running. I mean, Irsay has never had a problem hiring a HC. Or Jerruh.

Any good HC who has option might look at an owner who thinks he knows more about X's and O's than you would take that into account when deciding.

I'm not saying he won't be able to hire ANYONE, just that this would be in the "cons" column for any non-desperate coach.

Once the indicator light went on Sunday, Jesse Luketa recognized the problem. This had happened to his 2019 BMW before. Always the front left tire. But this time the tire pressure kept dropping.
The second-year Arizona Cardinals outside linebacker, on his way to State Farm Stadium for that afternoon’s contest against the Los Angeles Rams, exited Arizona State Route 101 in North Phoenix and found a gas station. He tried inserting air into the tire but it didn’t work. Luketa wondered if he had run over a nail.
It was 11:15 a.m. Luketa needed to be at the stadium by noon. He knows how to change a tire, but the BMW didn’t have a spare. The Cardinals offered to pick him up, but that would not have gotten him to the stadium in time. Luketa needed to make a decision. First, he contacted his position coach, Rob Rodriguez, and briefly explained the situation.
Then he looked to his right. There, pumping gas into an Infiniti QX80, was a man wearing an old Cardinals Patrick Peterson jersey. Luketa looked in the back and noticed the man’s three children were wearing Cardinals gear as well. Figuring the family might be going to the game or at least a tailgate, the Arizona linebacker decided he had nothing to lose. He rolled down the window.
“You guys going to the stadium?” Luketa asked the man.
J.W. Phillips, 31, had been running late when he had pulled over for gas. His family was excited. At halftime of the Cardinals game, son Brody was scheduled to play flag football on the stadium field. He looked at Luketa and noticed the bad tire.
“Yeah,” Phillips said.
“I’m a player,” Luketa said. “I got a flat tire. Can you guys help me out? I need a ride to the stadium.”
The Phillips’ are big sports fans. Their three children are involved in baseball, football and soccer. They live and breathe it. They attend a couple Arizona games every season, but Luketa is not a player most would recognize outside of his No. 43 jersey.
The Cardinals had selected the Penn State product in the seventh round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Since then, he had played in a reserve role, helping on special teams, bonding with teammates, who loved him because of his personality. Rodriguez, his position coach, calls Luketa an “International Man of Mystery.”
Phillips turned to wife Nicole and said, “Hey, this guy needs a ride.”
The husband and wife briefly discussed it and told Luketa to hop in.
Luketa sat in the front passenger’s seat. Nicole and the kids — Kane, 10; Brody, 7; and Kinsley, 5 — piled in the back, and off they went, headed to State Farm Stadium, which was about 45 minutes away. On most game days, Luketa liked listening to music on the drive. This time, he talked with his new friends, asking about their Thanksgiving.
What stood out immediately to the Phillips family. Luketa’s kindness. “He is just the nicest human being,” J.W. said. “The kids were giving fantasy football updates and who scored. They asked him how he went to college and where he played. We talked about how he’s from Canada. … About his family. He’s just very genuine and sincere.”

They pulled up to the players’ entrance at State Farm Stadium at 11:52 a.m. “Eight minutes to spare,” Luketa said. The linebacker told them to go ahead and use his pass to park and arranged “friends and family” access. The family’s reaction: “Well, this is nuts.”
After the game — the Cardinals lost, 37-14 — the Phillips family went to the “friends” area and watched the Arizona players leave. Luketa spotted them and posed for a photo. He promised to provide tickets for Arizona’s Dec. 17 home game against the San Francisco 49ers.
By then, word had gotten out within the organization. Teammates razzed Luketa. “One thing about me they always know, there’s always a situation with my car,” he said. Head coach Jonathan Gannon couldn’t recall a similar situation — fans rescuing a player in need — unfolding during his career.
“Kind of wild,” he said. “I would’ve been freaked out if I would’ve got a flat tire on my way in.”
On Monday, Luketa shared his story with local media. Asked how he got to the practice facility that day, he laughed and said: “Uber. I didn’t have a choice.” He said his car was getting serviced and he planned to have it back in a few hours. Or maybe it was time to get a new one. Regardless, Luketa was thankful for the Phillips family for helping him out.
“It’s definitely one for the books,” he said. “This is the type of stuff that only happens to me. I don’t know anyone else it would happen to. But I’m extremely grateful and forever indebted to them.”
J.W. Phillips said the family didn’t do it to help a professional football player. They just decided to help someone with a flat tire who needed to get somewhere. It’s been a rough season for the Cardinals — Sunday’s loss dropped them to 2-10 — but the Phillips family likes the direction. They like Gannon. And J.W. is sure of one thing:
“If the whole team is like Jesse, we’re in good shape,” he said.
Photo of Jesse Luketa and the Phillips children: Courtesy of the Phillips family)

Back