Random Football News: 2023

I would assume Lance's greatest value is still with the 49ers. It's not like a Zach Wilson scenario where he's poison to the locker room.

Lance is 22 years old and has only played in 8 games. If Purdy turns into a pumpkin, they've got him in waiting. No need to trade him.

No, there is no NEED. But you know what? SF doesn't beat the Cowpokes yesterday with Lance, IMO. Having Lance hang around BEHIND Purdy is not a good thing. It is similar to having Bledsoe behind Brady (Not the same, I agree). Can't have Purdy develop with Some waiting for the Lance shoe to drop.

Plus, Lance is not a good NFL QB. SF should trade him for as mochas they can get and cut their losses, I think.

No, there is no NEED. But you know what? SF doesn't beat the Cowpokes yesterday with Lance, IMO. Having Lance hang around BEHIND Purdy is not a good thing. It is similar to having Bledsoe behind Brady (Not the same, I agree). Can't have Purdy develop with Some waiting for the Lance shoe to drop.

Plus, Lance is not a good NFL QB. SF should trade him for as mochas they can get and cut their losses, I think.
I don't think SF is even in that game with Lance and perhaps not even in the playoffs.

But they gave up a king's ransom to move up and acquire him. I don't care that SF is in the 2023 NFCCG, if it has already been decided that he can never be their QB of the future, that's a fireable offense RIGHT NOW.

With Jimmy G becoming a free agent, SF has two young QB's under rookie contracts. If Lance is not the guy, you decline his 5th year option and move on. But to give up on him now? Hell, the trade for him is not even paid off yet. Unacceptably early to pull the plug on that kid IMO.

I don't think SF is even in that game with Lance and perhaps not even in the playoffs.

But they gave up a king's ransom to move up and acquire him. I don't care that SF is in the 2023 NFCCG, if it has already been decided that he can never be their QB of the future, that's a fireable offense RIGHT NOW.

With Jimmy G becoming a free agent, SF has two young QB's under rookie contracts. If Lance is not the guy, you decline his 5th year option and move on. But to give up on him now? Hell, the trade for him is not even paid off yet. Unacceptably early to pull the plug on that kid IMO.
If they believe that Lance will emerge (and they lose to the Iggles next week) I could see them playing Purdy, but trading him early or after next year for a small fortune. But that doesn't seem the most likely path.

The most likely path, in my eyes, is that Purdy does well (regardless of the outcome of the season) and has a severe sophomore slump next year as the league evaluates tape on him and learns how to play him. He either fights through or becomes Andy Dalton/Ryan Tannehill. In the meantime, SF trades Lance for pennies on the dollar, which they can do because the cost of their QB total is the cost paid for Lance + the last pick in last year's draft minus what they get back for Lance minus anything they might get for Jimmy plus the benefit of Purdy's super cheap contract.

If they believe that Lance will emerge (and they lose to the Iggles next week) I could see them playing Purdy, but trading him early or after next year for a small fortune. But that doesn't seem the most likely path.

The most likely path, in my eyes, is that Purdy does well (regardless of the outcome of the season) and has a severe sophomore slump next year as the league evaluates tape on him and learns how to play him. He either fights through or becomes Andy Dalton/Ryan Tannehill. In the meantime, SF trades Lance for pennies on the dollar, which they can do because the cost of their QB total is the cost paid for Lance + the last pick in last year's draft minus what they get back for Lance minus anything they might get for Jimmy plus the benefit of Purdy's super cheap contract.
San Fran should certainly be exploring every avenue but I guess I just don't see anyone trading "a small fortune" for Trey Lance. If I were an opposing GM, I'd let Lynch and Shanahan choke on their own vomit before I'd give up anything of perceived value for what (for right now, anyway) can only be viewed as a colossal blunder.

San Fran should certainly be exploring every avenue but I guess I just don't see anyone trading "a small fortune" for Trey Lance. If I were an opposing GM, I'd let Lynch and Shanahan choke on their own vomit before I'd give up anything of perceived value for what (for right now, anyway) can only be viewed as a colossal blunder.
No, the small fortune was if they believe in Lance long term and trade Purdy. It's a small fortune relative to what they paid for him, of course. But I don't think they'll go that direction.

No, the small fortune was if they believe in Lance long term and trade Purdy. It's a small fortune relative to what they paid for him, of course. But I don't think they'll go that direction.
Ah, gotcha. My mistake.

Brandon Beane comes off as a little bitch here

“They right now are on the advantage of a rookie quarterback contract,” Beane said of Joe Burrow. “They had some lean years, and without getting too much into their build, I don’t want to suck bad enough to have to get Ja’Marr Chase. He’s a heck of a talent, I’d love to have him, but you got to go through some lean years to do that. They were able to get Burrow No. 1 and Chase [No. 5] and those guys are on their rookie deals. We’re paying Stefon Diggs a pretty hefty number. We’re paying Josh Allen a pretty hefty number. So there is the constraints of the cap. They have a really good team and they’ve got some good young players. We’re gonna try to get as many players as we can through the draft and through free agency, but again, our cap situation is a little different.”

Marcus Jones snubbed.

022 PFWA ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
Offense
QB – Brock Purdy, San Francisco 49ers
RB – Tyler Allgeier, Atlanta Falcons; Kenneth Walker III, Seattle Seahawks
WR – Chris Olave, New Orleans Saints; Garrett Wilson, New York Jets
TE – Chigoziem Okonkwo, Tennessee Titans
C – Tyler Linderbaum, Baltimore Ravens
G – Zion Johnson, Los Angeles Chargers; Dylan Parham, Las Vegas Raiders
T – Braxton Jones, Chicago Bears; Tyler Smith, Dallas Cowboys
Defense
DL – Jordan Davis, Philadelphia Eagles; Aidan Hutchinson, Detroit Lions; George Karlaftis, Kansas City Chiefs; Kayvon Thibodeaux, New York Giants
LB – Devin Lloyd, Jacksonville Jaguars; Malcolm Rodriguez, Detroit Lions; Quay Walker, Green Bay Packers
CB – Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, New York Jets, Tariq Woolen, Seattle Seahawks
S – Kyle Hamilton, Baltimore Ravens; Jalen Pitre, Houston Texans
Special Teams
PK – Cameron Dicker, Los Angeles Chargers
P – Ryan Stonehouse, Tennessee Titans
KR – Dallis Flowers, Indianapolis Colts
PR – Marcus Jones, New England Patriots
ST – Brenden Schooler, New England Patriots

Taking a page out of the Bill Polian playbook. Gee, Brandon... Sorry your plans to be good have been foiled by some other organization's plan to be good as well.

I am sure Bengals fans were absolutely loving the stretch of 5 single-digit win seasons (including the 2-14 that led to Burrow, and the 4-12 that led to Chase). And, they took a boatload of heat for drafting Chase vs. one of the solid OL available in that draft to protect Burrow as he was coming off an ACL injury. Bengals gambled a bit with the Chase pick and it worked out.

Taking a page out of the Bill Polian playbook. Gee, Brandon... Sorry your plans to be good have been foiled by some other organization's plan to be good as well.

I am sure Bengals fans were absolutely loving the stretch of 5 single-digit win seasons (including the 2-14 that led to Burrow, and the 4-12 that led to Chase). And, they took a boatload of heat for drafting Chase vs. one of the solid OL available in that draft to protect Burrow as he was coming off an ACL injury. Bengals gambled a bit with the Chase pick and it worked out.
Cincy fans have endured to get to a successful stretch.
It's not inaccurate to say that they currently benefit from having some guys still on rookie deals that will cost $$ soon. Draft better and you get those windows.

Unreal, complaining about having players on huge contracts. Gee, I wonder who gave out those deals, dumbass?

You wanted to win NOW, so you paid the big bucks, now it's coming back to bite you in the ass as it looks like that window is starting to close

Back