Random Football News

Ravens Sign Ronnie Stanley To $99MM Extension

October 30th, 2020 at 8:54am CST by Zach Links
The Ravens have signed Ronnie Stanley to a five-year, $98.75MM extension, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). The pact includes a whopping $70.9MM in total guarantees and takes the star left tackle through the 2025 season.
[RELATED: Ravens, Marlon Humphrey Agree To $98MM+ Deal]
Stanley fell short of Laremy Tunsil‘s $22MM-per-year watermark, but not by much. The deal still represents a major investment for the Ravens, who have secured one of the league’s best tackles for years to come. Baltimore did have the option of the franchise tag, but it would have saddled them with a massive cap hit for 2021. All in all, Stanley is set to earn $112.86MM between now and the end of the commitment.
Ronnie is the mainstay on our offensive line,” Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta said. “He’s a shutdown left tackle who excels on the field and in our community. This is just the beginning for Ronnie, and we could not be happier for him and his family.”
DeCosta has been working hard to secure Baltimore’s stars for the long haul. Earlier this month, he inked Pro Bowl cornerback Marlon Humphrey to a strikingly similar deal — $98.75MM over five years.
Stanley is undeniably happy about the deal, though Tunsil’s remains the gold standard for tackles by a mile. Tunsil doesn’t just have the higher AAV — he has the ability to cash in all over again during his prime. Stanley arguably sacrificed some upside with his Baltimore re-up, but he has security, and more money than he could spend in ten lifetimes.
Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Good god, that's an insane deal! Is he that good??
Not presently he isn't. DeCosta is relying on him to get better every year with that kind of money. Paying for future performance.
Interestingly, he's a far better pass blocker than run blocker.

PFF rankings - OT
1. Garrett Bolles, Denver 91.2
2. David Bakhtiari, GB 89
3. Trent Williams, SF 88.8
4. Andrew Whitworth, LARams 87
5. Laremy Tunsil, Houston 85.9
6. Duane Brown, Seattle 84.1
7. Jermaine Eluemunor, NE 82.6 (IR currently)

9. Ron Staley, Balt. 81.5

27. Isaiah Wynn, NE 74.7

You can say that again!
Just WOW.

I thought Elway was close to giving Bolles the boot last year? Interesting...

I don't know about the "boot" but Bolles' 5th year option wasn't picked up bc he hadn't lived up to his 1st rnd draft pick status. Penalties were killing him for 4 years.
This year he only has 1 penalty so far. He's motivated though...CONTRACT YEAR!
I don't trust guys who turn it on in contract years. Too many examples of them laying down after getting paid.

I don't know about the "boot" but Bolles' 5th year option wasn't picked up bc he hadn't lived up to his 1st rnd draft pick status. Penalties were killing him for 4 years.
This year he only has 1 penalty so far. He's motivated though...CONTRACT YEAR!
I don't trust guys who turn it on in contract years. Too many examples of them laying down after getting paid.
I've read that Bolles isn't very bright. When he was drafted he showed it too...

Alternate headline:
Mahomes has turned into a game manager supported by an elite defense and few have noticed.
(Reminiscent of the Pats in early 2000s.)

It has to be accepted. The Chiefs are looking at a dynasty. An elite defense now with one of the best QBs on offense who has a tonne of weapons. They could in theory go on to be one of the best teams of all time.

They're definitely good...
And I'm not seeing huge rivalries for them on this. The Ravens are still iffy and I don't trust Jackson to get the job done over a season, especially in the playoffs. The Packers, Seahawks, Saints, Bucs are just not at the Chiefs level and won't be in the near future. The one rival who could be a thorn in the Chiefs side could be the Steelers.

It has to be accepted. The Chiefs are looking at a dynasty. An elite defense now with one of the best QBs on offense who has a tonne of weapons. They could in theory go on to be one of the best teams of all time.

And I'm not seeing huge rivalries for them on this. The Ravens are still iffy and I don't trust Jackson to get the job done over a season, especially in the playoffs. The Packers, Seahawks, Saints, Bucs are just not at the Chiefs level and won't be in the near future. The one rival who could be a thorn in the Chiefs side could be the Steelers.
You must have missed this part about the article

Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs

Week 7 stats: 71.0 passing grade, -0.15 EPA per play, 0.29 adjusted EPA per play
2020 stats: 84.0 passing grade, 0.29 EPA per play, 0.43 adjusted EPA per play

What Mahomes has shown since the game against the Baltimore Ravens hasn’t been very impressive (72.7 passing grade and 0.18 EPA per pass play over the last four games), and I’m starting to wonder if his MVP hopes depend on whether he can be challenged enough. He currently has a habit of downplaying to his opponent, which would significantly lower his MVP chances if it were to continue.

===============================
The Bucs would beat KC right now.

Week 7 stats: 71.0 passing grade, -0.15 EPA per play, 0.29 adjusted EPA per play

What Mahomes has shown since the game against the Baltimore Ravens hasn’t been very impressive (72.7 passing grade and 0.18 EPA per pass play over the last four games), and I’m starting to wonder if his MVP hopes depend on whether he can be challenged enough. He currently has a habit of downplaying to his opponent, which would significantly lower his MVP chances if it were to continue.

You said it there, Mahomes seems to me to be a big game player. A player who is at his best against the very best teams and in the playoffs. That's what's so dangerous about him.

Yeah, the Bucs are also good...they kind of remind me of the Rams a few years ago. Built for now or maybe a max of 2 years. I don't think that Arians is that good of a coach, but, that team is loaded.

You said it there, Mahomes seems to me to be a big game player. A player who is at his best against the very best teams and in the playoffs. That's what's so dangerous about him.
Don't sleep on Brady.
Brady has more weapons than Mahomes and a defense playing very well.
Brady is playing better than Mahomes now and will only get better with each passing game.

The Chiefs won’t do what the Patriots did. The Pats had in effect two different dynasties under the same HC/QB combo separated by 10 years. No team will ever repeat that.

Back