Random Football News

Saw him play (tv) a few times. Never heard him broadcast. Know he is a pittsburgh icon. RIP

Cheers
It is a big loss to Steeler Nation and Pittsburgh.
Forget his playing days. He was so much more.
He is a special person.

Probably best he was taken early, I know he is in a better place.

So weird I am tearing up right now for someone I never met in person but he was family.

Tunch Ilken passed away today.

A GREAT HUMAN BEING.

Memory eternal.
Too soon, I'm positive.

What did lou gehrig say when his illness was finally diagnosed?

"Lou Gehrig's disease? ... you're kidding me, right?"

Last edited:
This is exactly what I feared would happen with relaxed restrictions this season. Dallas will play Thursday without their pro bowl guard who is on Covid reserve. The Cowboys have now had eight players on COVID reserve in the past 16 days. Last year, for the entire season, the Cowboys had only six.

This is why I have been saying all off-season the NFL has to tighten the protocols. Apparently Arians has said players will be on lockdown for road games and he also may require mask mandates in the building, and his team is 100% vaxed. I really hope Bill institutes some of these rules to ensure our guys are playing. It seems as if it will be up to each individual team and how they handle this to ensure the season is not compromised.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I feared would happen with relaxed restrictions this season. Dallas will play Thursday without their pro bowl guard who is on Covid reserve. The Cowboys have now had eight players on COVID reserve in the past 16 days. Last year, for the entire season, the Cowboys had only six.

This is why I have been saying all off-season the NFL has to tighten the protocols. Apparently Arians has said players will be on lockdown for road games and he also may require mask mandates in the building, and his team is 100% vaxed. I really hope Bill institutes some of these rules to ensure are guys are playing. It seems as if it will be up to each individual team and how they handle this to ensure the season is not compromised.

I have been clear I don't care for the NFL's policy on this. That said, the Red Sox are down something like 10 players right now including the pitcher who was to start today. They just ripped off 4 in a row and are like 9 and 4 in their last 13 games under these difficult circumstances.

Quality depth, good roster management, and coaching go a long way.

So many teams are top-heavy and any significant injuries put them behind the 8 ball.

The Pats and a few others are uniquely set up with that quality depth, by design, that has been an organizational philosophy here for 21 years.

Next man up baby.

If a team is shortsighted that's on them.

And there is a thread for NFL Covid topics, maybe this was more appropriate there.

Last edited:
I have been clear I don't care for the NFL's policy on this. That said, the Red Sox are down something like 10 players right now including the pitcher who was to start today. They just ripped off 4 in a row and are like 9 and 4 in their last 13 games under these difficult circumstances.

Quality depth, good roster management, and coaching go a long way.

So many teams are top-heavy and any significant injuries put them behind the 8 ball.

The Pats and a few others are uniquely set up with that quality depth, by design, that has been an organizational philosophy here for 21 years.

Next man up baby.

If a team is shortsighted that's on them.

And there is a thread for NFL Covid topics, maybe this was more appropriate there.
It is going to be another tough season I think for the NFL. With the relaxed protocols the cases are far higher than they were last year.

It will be up to each individual team to ensure guys are not taking risks. I am not sure if I agree with your take on the Pats. We just spent 150 mil on FAs to upgrade the team. We don't have a lot behind them IMO. There is a huge drop off from Smith to Assasi. If Harris is out we are relying on a rookie and a second year player who barely played last year. If Agahlor goes out, we have no deep threat. And that's just the offense. Our secondary cannot afford to lose anyone with Gilmore out and Jones nicked up.

It is going to be another tough season I think for the NFL. With the relaxed protocols the cases are far higher than they were last year.

It will be up to each individual team to ensure guys are not taking risks. I am not sure if I agree with your take on the Pats. We just spent 150 mil on FAs to upgrade the team. We don't have a lot behind them IMO. There is a huge drop off from Smith to Assasi. If Harris is out we are relying on a rookie and a second year player who barely played last year. If Agahlor goes out, we have no deep threat. And that's just the offense. Our secondary cannot afford to lose anyone with Gilmore out and Jones nicked up.

I would counter that we had some pretty difficult cuts and now have a 16 man practice squad with some decent or up-and-coming players.

But yeah, the GM completely screwed the pooch, yet again. :coffee:

I would counter that we had some pretty difficult cuts and now have a 16 man practice squad with some decent or up-and-coming players.

But yeah, the GM completely screwed the pooch, yet again. :coffee:
John it's Ok to admit we don't have a lot of depth in a season where we literally don't have a lot of depth.

John it's Ok to admit we don't have a lot of depth in a season where we literally don't have a lot of depth.
The team is ready, Mazz. Of course, they may not be able to overcome the fact that....

BB is a horrible HC.

The Patriots are known as a deep team, with a couple exceptions. QB, WR, and currently CB, but only because we're already absorbing a key injury. Not too many teams have 3 starting quality TEs. Not all have 2, which we happen to have. RB, edge, LB, DL, all incredibly deep. OL has solid depth to patch through a couple games.

Back