Random Football News

ATL and Lions won't. They would be foolish if they did...Miami too. Denver and Philly, I can see them do it.

I agree.

The Lions are paying & committed to Goff now & they have to surround him to see if he can perform well enough.

Atlanta/Matt Ryan were a top 6 passing offense last year and also ranked 6th in % of drives ending with a score. Ryan isn't the problem in Atlanta. Defense is their problem.
Ryan is currently a Falcon through 2023. He's making $27M this year with a $65M dead cap.
For 2022 Ryan's cap hit is $48M and his dead cap hit is $40.5M. I see a restructured contract for Ryan bc of those massive cap numbers for next year.
If they go QB Ryan knows he's done in Atlanta and his dedication to the team goes straight to hell for 2021.

Atlanta's needs: CB, LB, edge rusher, DT and OT.
I can see why Atlanta might want to trade down a few picks to get their guy & gain another 2nd rnd pick.
At 4 they could get Penei Sewell, Kwity Paye, Kyle Pitts, Patrick Surtain/Horn or a QB. They need defense badly.
With a trade back with Denver to 9, Atlanta can pick up 2 players - 1 great player at 9 (CB) plus another very good player in the 2nd.

Denver takes the 4th QB off the board in that scenario.
But if GM Paton determines the Broncos' massive injuries caused their poor record last year, he may address other needs: CB, OT, S, LB, DL.
CB is their biggest need. Paton could trade for the Panthers' QB Teddy Bridgewater who could start right away for Denver & address CB in this draft at 9.
Denver is a question mark as to how they fill their QB conundrum; Lock isn't their long term answer.

If Philly drafts a QB, the Pats could be left out entirely.

This is going to be an entertaining first round.

In what Chevvs posted, Brad Kelly states the Patriots only competition for moving up to #4 is Denver. But there are teams behind the Patriots that are QB needy and they might leapfrog the Patriots and the Broncos - the WFT is an obvious one. And would the Bears move up with the thought of letting a rookie sit for a year behind Dalton? It could happen.

And I'm not sure that all the teams in front of the Patriots besides Denver are satisified with their QB situation. The Giants can't be all that happy with what Daniel Jones has done in two years - 22 INTs and 29 fumbles in 26 starts is just about two turnovers per game. The Gmen could easily get enamored with one of the top five QBs and decide to move on from Mr. Jones.

I don't think the final order of first round draft picks is what's currently in place - my guess is there are a couple of more trades to be made before the first round is over.
This is a tough call. Do we really want to give up what it will take to get to #4? As I have said before, if there is a guy that Bill loves like the way he loved Jimmy than fire the bullets and go up and get him. I think it is more realistic that we may trade up to 10 or 9 if a QB falls then all the way to 4.

I agree.

The Lions are paying & committed to Goff now & they have to surround him to see if he can perform well enough.

Atlanta/Matt Ryan were a top 6 passing offense last year and also ranked 6th in % of drives ending with a score. Ryan isn't the problem in Atlanta. Defense is their problem.
Ryan is currently a Falcon through 2023. He's making $27M this year with a $65M dead cap.
For 2022 Ryan's cap hit is $48M and his dead cap hit is $40.5M. I see a restructured contract for Ryan bc of those massive cap numbers for next year.
If they go QB Ryan knows he's done in Atlanta and his dedication to the team goes straight to hell for 2021.

Atlanta's needs: CB, LB, edge rusher, DT and OT.
I can see why Atlanta might want to trade down a few picks to get their guy & gain another 2nd rnd pick.
At 4 they could get Penei Sewell, Kwity Paye, Kyle Pitts, Patrick Surtain/Horn or a QB. They need defense badly.
With a trade back with Denver to 9, Atlanta can pick up 2 players - 1 great player at 9 (CB) plus another very good player in the 2nd.

Denver takes the 4th QB off the board in that scenario.
But if GM Paton determines the Broncos' massive injuries caused their poor record last year, he may address other needs: CB, OT, S, LB, DL.
CB is their biggest need. Paton could trade for the Panthers' QB Teddy Bridgewater who could start right away for Denver & address CB in this draft at 9.
Denver is a question mark as to how they fill their QB conundrum; Lock isn't their long term answer.

If Philly drafts a QB, the Pats could be left out entirely.

This is going to be an entertaining first round.

I should have explained my reasoning for the bolded above since some here might not know George Paton is the guy who scouted & wanted to draft Bridgewater when Paton was the Vikings' Asst. GM & VP of Player Personnel. He drafted Teddy B. 32nd overall in 2014. Paton knows him well. Bridgewater could become the starter & he would certainly provide the kind of competition the Broncos are trying to find for Lock.

Number changes are probably coming since the NFL is expected to relax jersey number restrictions
— QB: 1-19
— WR: 1-49, 80-89
— RB: 1-49, 80-89
— TE: 1-49, 80-89
— DB: 1-49
— LB: 1-59, 90-99
— OL: 50-79
— DL: 50-79, 90-99

Number changes are probably coming since the NFL is expected to relax jersey number restrictions

Call me crazy, but seeing DBs or WRs with single digits is a little too CFL/XFL for my liking. In the end it's meaningless, but it's not aesthetically pleasing to me.

this have anything to do with players wanting to wear their college number? Top players already have their "brand" going (or will if NCAA does that Name Likeness thing)?
I don't really care, but it will be a bit odd and take some getting used to.

Back