Random Football News

What is going on in Tampa with Brady is really killing Rodgers. LOL. Apparently he is upset the Packers cut one of his receivers.

What is going on in Tampa with Brady is really killing Rodgers. LOL. Apparently he is upset the Packers cut one of his receivers.

Why do you think the rift between Rodgers and Gute has anything to do with Brady? I don't see the connection.

Why do you think the rift between Rodgers and Gute has anything to do with Brady? I don't see the connection.
It has been reported that Rodgers wants the type of influence over the roster in GB that Brady has in Tampa.

It has been reported that Rodgers wants the type of influence over the roster in GB that Brady has in Tampa.

Ah, I get it. That's probably some of it, little things do add up. This rift between Rodgers and Gute began a year ago, however; long before Brady showed any influence in Tampa.
Drafting Love started it. Then Packers Coach Matt LaFleur made the dumb decision to attempt a close field goal, while down by 8 points late in the championship game, instead of trusting Rodgers to throw a tying touchdown. The Packers not extending him is another source of discontent; rather, they asked him to restructure his deal...he refused. There seem to be a lot of contributing factors to Rodgers' unhappiness.

Last edited:
Ah, I get it. That's probably some of it, little things do add up. This rift between Rodgers and Gute began a year ago, however; long before Brady showed any influence in Tampa.
Drafting Love started it. Then Packers Coach Matt LaFleur made the dumb decision to attempt a close field goal, while down by 8 points late in the game, instead of trusting Rodgers to throw a tying touchdown. The Packers not extending him is another source of discontent; rather, they asked him to restructure his deal...he refused. There seem to be a lot of contributing factors to Rodgers' unhappiness.
Yep. There are a ton of things in the relationship. I think Brady going to Tampa and winning is just kind of the cherry on top because he had so much say on the roster. But things as you say having been going south for a long time.

I think what is tough for Rogers is he still has 3 years left on his deal. He also did not negotiate a no trade clause either when he signed so he is stuck with the contract he signed. I am not sure why he is peeved as he just won league MVP. There is no chance of Love taking his job anytime soon but if he has no faith in the GM than that is a different story. It will kill GB to trade him this year cap-wise even if they wait until after June 1st. I think he is going to have to sit or play at least for this year and then they trade him next year but he seems very dug in so he may just retire which would be a shame as he is good for the game.

I don't give Brady the credit you do for what's going on in GB between Rodgers and the GB FO.

Actually, I think Gute is simply a pawn and he's doing what GB President and CEO Mark Murphy wants him to do. Murphy has the rep of being power hungry.
He's made a mess of this Rodgers situation.

Last edited:
I don't give Brady the credit you do for what's going on in GB between Rodgers and the GB FO.

Actually, I think Gute is simply a pawn and he's doing what GB President and CEO Mark Murphy wants him to do. Murphy has the rep of being power hungry.
I heard Easterby was going to GB next, after he finishes the job in Houston.

I think "credit" is the wrong word here. Like I said, I think Brady coming to the NFC and having the Tampa GM let him making so many of the personnel moves that led to them beating GB and winning the chip is something that irks Rodgers much the same way it did for Wilson right after the SB when he was also whining about wanting more control of personnel. I don't by any means think it is the main reason for Rodgers discontent either, like I said, I think it is the proverbial cherry on the top of an already bad situation.

I normally side with the players in these types of disputes but Rodgers has been insufferable with the Love draft pick. I get that he loathed it because he wanted more talented around him but at age 37, it is wise for any org to start grooming the next guy. Why he took that much offense seems over the top to me but then again he is an extremely sensitive guy who believes everything revolves around him. This report coming out saying he wants Gute fired is really damning and he has not said a peep to either confirm or deny it. I think that is pretty cowardly of him in this situation. He has no leverage here in terms of his contract so he is seems really bent on doing everything he can to throw garbage on the org. He has really lost his fan support in GB too if you read their forums or listen to their local radio.

This is a long read but gives so much insight into Rodgers and and his problems. This was from 2019 right when LaFleur was hired. Many first accounts of his attitude and how it affects the organization. Of course the Packers denied this report, just like they denied several in the the last decade. These are mostly former teammates speaking negatively about him. It also gets into the stuff many have speculated about - stat padding, going off script, selfishness, sensitivity, etc.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649

Last edited:

Yep. Tom got to dial up a good situation for himself, get away from the cold and have a say in who his teammates would be and won another ring. His example, along with
Mahomes has reset the bar for what a top QB can do in the NFL and Rodgers has probably always thought he was at least as good, if not better than Brady, so.......yes, I think having a say is a bigger part in his rift with GB than is commonly believed.

In the end, it's all about having the clout to call your own shots and not have to just be an employee. Looks like GB isn't planning on rolling over for him, either.

It's a bad trend. Players play and coaches coach. The best coaches were always dictators. That is a common theme in all sports, soccer in Europe a good example as well. Alex Ferguson, Matt Busy, Shankly, Stein, they were all the boss with no questions asked.

Great players seldom make great coaches so it's a dangerous myths to believe players have something to offer the coaches in terms of strategy, tactics etc. They don't. Players egos think they can of course.

As soon as you see a coach trying to be the players friend you know it's curtains.

Coaches can go too far the other way as well of course, Great Sciano, Matt Patricia were too dictatorial and didn't have the success to back it up.

There seem to be a lot of contributing factors to Rodgers' unhappiness.
Yes true. But I believe the the biggest "contributor" is Rodgers himself. IMO he makes your Diva Receiva look like a chorus girl. 🤷

Cheers

A players lifespan is time limited (even Tommy's) so they always have an incentive to win now. A Coach and a General Manager must have a longer term view,.

Rogers is pissed because the GM decided to take a longer term view and draft his replacement, which oddly enough seems to be the root of Brady's discontent as well. I suppose there is a hint of Irony in the Rogers situation after the Favre fiasco.

This is a tale as old as time, but in today's NFL certain elite QBs have the juice to do something about it.

Regarding Rodgers, I've seen some crazy things out there. Folks talking about how he has 3-4 years left, others saying 6,7,8 years maybe. And everyone talking about how he's coming off his MVP season and showing no signs of slowing down. I think Rodgers has 2 good years left. He's 37 now, and looking like an elite QB. Manning, at 37, threw for 5477 yards, 55 TDs, completed 68.3% of his passes, and looked great. 2 years later he threw for 2249 yards, 8 TDs, 17 INTs, and retired.

Drew Brees publicly expressed how he took great care of his body just like Tom Brady, he just didn't 'brag about it as much', and expressed a desire to play a year or two past where Brady did. At 37, he threw for 5208 yards, completed 70% of his passes, and had 37 TDs. Past the age of 40, he couldn't stay healthy and on the field, and though he played until he was 41, his age 39 season was the last one where he crossed the 3000 yard mark and had over 30 TDs. By 41 his decline was incredibly obvious, and ultimately he retired before Brady did. And again, this is a guy who reportedly took great care of himself, but at 41 one solid, legal hit was enough to fracture multiple ribs and puncture a lung.

Rodgers routinely drinks bourbon and smokes cigars, which may raise his 'coolness' factor for folks but does not do wonders to the body's ability to sustain itself and heal. I think Rodgers is far more likely to never play in the NFL again than he is to play another 6 years. If he does go to another team, they had better be ready to win right now, as in this year or next at the latest. Otherwise he may as well sit tight imho because it won't matter either way. Which is a huge part of why I don't see him going anywhere, because he's under contract for the next two years and though they CAN trade him, they can also just hang onto him unless he falls apart or retires.

Last edited:
Back