Random Football News

Mazz, to be honest, that piece could have been written by a bot. Legend - Check, Professionalism - Check, Just one of the guys - Check, Standards - Check, Earned our respect - Check etc etc

We all know the score at this stage and I'm sure most of America does. Not having a go at Tom, we just don't need more Brady puff pieces that shed nothing new.
The Brady piece was about 10% of the column which is why I shared here. Godwin's personal story IMO was really great to read and well done. It is not often that we get to hear from a player like that in his own words. He was incredibly positive about life, race, politics, football. Honestly, we need so much more of that which is why I posted it here.

The Brady piece was about 10% of the column which is why I shared here. Godwin's personal story IMO was really great to read and well done. It is not often that we get to hear from a player like that in his own words. He was incredibly positive about life, race, politics, football. Honestly, we need so much more of that which is why I posted it here.

That's cool and all but an article by a Buc about a Buc really does belong in the Buc thread, imo.

That's cool and all but an article by a Buc about a Buc really does belong in the Buc thread, imo.
I really did debate for awhile where to put it. Like I said, I put it here because it was so positive and a really cool football story from a player that just won the SB and got married to his high school sweetheart and has a great outlook on life in general. I didn't want it to get missed in the Tampa thread for that reason.

Whoa! Kyle Shanahan disses our QB!?

i agree though...as far as ever thinking for a NANOSECOND they wanted jones over lance.

This sort of commentary is regularly available on The Players Tribune. Truly interesting stuff from the horse's mouth.

Plus there are Ask Me Anythings (AMA) on Reddit and Instagram, etc with players. Good stuff.

This sort of commentary is regularly available on The Players Tribune. Truly interesting stuff from the horse's mouth.

Plus there are Ask Me Anythings (AMA) on Reddit and Instagram, etc with players. Good stuff.

Thanks for letting me know that. I really enjoy reading these types of stories/profiles.

Florio doesn't know what he doesn't know. Maybe it should depend on why they didn't get vaccinated. This isn't cut and dried.
Some people can't be vaccinated for a variety of legitimate medical reasons. Religious beliefs are real for some. Ignorance or fear? Not so real.

From the FYI department, the Supreme Court has ruled that mandated vaccines are appropriate. Believe it was 1905, and measles were rampant in Maine. They only enforced it in Maine and not nationally.

From the FYI department, the Supreme Court has ruled that mandated vaccines are appropriate. Believe it was 1905, and measles were rampant in Maine. They only enforced it in Maine and not nationally.
Vaccines have been mandated for a long time. The issue with this one is it was fast tracked in 9 months. We are basically in the middle of a medical trial as no one knows the long term effects yet. It is dangerous IMO to enforce this one right now. I think down the road when it is more proven is fine.

Bill Polian's QB rankings for 2021 as stated on Late Hits last night.
This was a terrific segment with loads of info. Yeah, yeah...Polian. But he's very different on the radio than he was as the Colts' GM.
If you want to listen here's the link: Sirius XM NFL Radio

He bases his Elite list on
-QBR (which he says is an accepted metric within the NFL. Elite QBR = > 100)
-Comp% (65% min),
-Yds/game (250+ consistently),
-TDs (30 min),
-TD/Int ratio (3-1 or better).

1. ARod - Far and away the best QB in the league. No one is close.

2. Deshaun Watson
3. Mahomes - Accuracy isn't where it needs to be.
4. Josh Allen - Rising but with limited sample size. Elite for now.
5. Russell Wilson - Accuracy and sacks dropped Wilson
6. Tom Brady - He dropped Brady because Brady's QBR has trended down since 2017 despite last year's bump winning the SB last year. Polian thinks Brady needs vg to elite weapons at this stage of his career to win consistently. The numbers back up Polian.

stats here:

Then Wade Phillips came on and was asked about the future of running QBs like Lamar Jackson & Kyler Murray ---> Would you bank on a running QB for your team? I wouldn't. Injuries are inevitable. Then he pointed out that Lamar was injured during the playoffs. He said the hardest QB to plan for in his career was Cam but, again, injuries.

Play extenders are very different...ARod, Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen - they are not running QBs according to Wade Phillips. Those QBs will always have a place and pocket passers will be the NFL's future whether or not they can extend plays.

2nd tier: Tannehill, Cousins, Carr - all had QBRs > 100 (and were equal to or better than TB12 last year)
3rd tier: Herbert, Stafford, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray. Polian thinks Herbert will be elite soon and has a bright future. He thinks Jackson and Murray have a ceiling of being 2nd tier QBs. Stafford has an opportunity but it's limited due to age.
4th tier/on the fence/not good enough: Mayfield, Fitzpatrick, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Jared Goff, Joe Burrow, Minshew (did well with little support, however)
5th tier/lots of work needed: Tua, Drew Lock, Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Carson Wentz, Daniel Jones
6th tier/Injury modified: Cam Newton. Has had a great career but his injuries caught up with him the last 3 years. He's probably a backup at this point but he could surprise this year if his injuries have resolved and if he can hold off recent draftees.

Red Flags for drafting any QB.
"The historical data is clear, 68 percent of first-round quarterbacks between 2009 and 2016 failed.”
  • Arm strength - physical ability but good enough is good enough
  • Play processing speed - mental
  • Speed of delivery - mental
  • Work ethic - mental & drive
  • Accuracy/ball placement - physical ability
  • Pre-existing injury history
  • Intangibles amount to 40% of most teams' grades - the media and fans have no clue about the psych testing and depth of background checks that go on in today's NFL.
This was a really good segment.

Last edited:
On the Polian QB ratings,,

• Intangibles amount to 40% of most teams' grades - the media and fans have no clue about the psych testing and depth of background checks that go on in today's NFL.
Sounds scary, maybe as a fan I don't want to know. And how the heck do they perform this psych testing.
And weird, "Best QB prospect I have ever seen, but he did poorly on the Rorschach test. Dump him".

I am not surprised Watson came up at #2. It is a shame what has happened to him off the field. I would give up the house and garage for the Pats to trade for him. He is that special.

Back