Random Football News

Jimmy Johnson caught a big one yesterday!
Too bad he didn't release it but congrats to him nevertheless.
There's nothing like big game fishing and fishing off the northeast coast is great this time of year.

E6dWCnYXMAEJ6q2
Agree. We ought to commit to release. But the long line fleet is out there catching them by the hundreds (think "The Perfect Storm). But man, that s a lot of delicious swordfish stakes!

I'd watch that over whatever nonsense they made for LeBron. I hear it has terrible reviews.

My little kids wanted to watch it, so we watched it (for free).

God, what an abomination. It was just a paean to LeBron, who can’t act. The plot was terrible, and the toons were just pathetic.

It was also just a long WB commercial.

Piece of garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree. We ought to commit to release. But the long line fleet is out there catching them by the hundreds (think "The Perfect Storm). But man, that s a lot of delicious swordfish stakes!

It's a Blue Marlin, your honor.

There's nothing like big game fishing and fishing off the northeast coast is great this time of year.

E6dWCnYXMAEJ6q2
Man, talk about someone who is having a ball after retiring from coaching. Good on him, a really decent guy and he had the guts to do what he felt was the right thing, that he had neglected his sons when coaching and he wanted to make it up to them. And he doesn't seem to miss it all.

Great to see him and Bill out on the boat as well from time to time. He understands Bill better than most you feel.

It was his birthday on Friday, Happy Birthday Jimmy! 78 and still kicking.

E6dWCnYXMAEJ6q2
You sure Jimmy caught it, or was was he just on the dock at the right time?
The sign says Darren was the angler.

You sure Jimmy caught it, or was was he just on the dock at the right time?
The sign says Darren was the angler.

Technically he didn't but in reality with a fish that big all the anglers take turns over the hours it takes to land the beast. Since it was a tournament, the captain often gets credit since the fish belongs to the boat. I should also add that in a tournament only 1 angler is supposed to handle the rod and reel - it's a technicality that is often overlooked (but not discussed) unless a monitor is aboard the vessel.

Technically he didn't but in reality with a fish that big all the anglers take turns over the hours it takes to land the beast. Since it was a tournament, the captain often gets credit since the fish belongs to the boat. I should also add that in a tournament only 1 angler is supposed to handle the rod and reel - it's a technicality that is often overlooked (but not discussed) unless a monitor is aboard the vessel.
Beautiful animal.

The Rams Cam Akers has torn his Achilles in training. This seems to happen more and more in TC. Ruptured ligament etc.

An Achilles is a bitch of an injury for a RB. Long road ahead of him.

The Rams Cam Akers has torn his Achilles in training. This seems to happen more and more in TC. Ruptured ligament etc.

An Achilles is a bitch of an injury for a RB. Long road ahead of him.
Yes, I feel terrible for him.... and any fantasy owner who doesn't take a top tier RB in round 1 of their draft.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that Rodgers turned down a deal this offseason that would have made him the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL.

What happens if a theoretical Rodgers trade actually happened?​

To test the outcome of a Rodgers trade, we re-ran our simulation 10,000 times with Jordan Love, the 26th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, as the Packers' quarterback and Rodgers as the Broncos' quarterback, along with adjustments to the teams' power ratings commensurate with the move. The last part is a little more art than science, as well as circular, as we have to somewhat guess how the markets would react and how these reactions would affect our underlying models, but alas.

In such an adjustment, the Packers would fall to 25th in PFF's ELO ratings, about two points worse than the average team on a neutral field, and the Broncos rise to third, about five points better than the average team on a neutral field. This is generally in line with the information available on our NFL power rankings page, with some adjustments for Rodgers switching teams and Love playing under the tutelage of a pretty good offensive play caller in Matt LaFleur.

The Denver win total goes from 7.5 to 10.2 wins, which is a bit less than the loss incurred by Green Bay because the AFC is a stronger conference and there is a price taken on when a player goes from one team to another. Denver becomes a favorite to make the playoffs but is still a big underdog to win the AFC West or the Super Bowl. However, Rodgers' addition, understandably, decreases the Chiefs' Super Bowl probability to about 13%, below the market break-even probability of 16.7%.

I don't think Rodgers even knows what it is that he wants anymore.

Beautiful animal.

I was on my cousin's boat way out in the gulf stream halfway between New Jersey and the Cape, when somebody landed a blue marlin.

I helped get it alongside the boat and I couldn't believe how beautiful the skin was on that fish. It had about 40 shades of blue and silver and little geometric patterns to it like metal-flakes shining in the sun.

I was happy to see it swim away when we let it go. Nobody wanted to keep it once we got a good look at it. That was enough.

I was on my cousin's boat way out in the gulf stream halfway between New Jersey and the Cape, when somebody landed a blue marlin.

I helped get it alongside the boat and I couldn't believe how beautiful the skin was on that fish. It had about 40 shades of blue and silver and little geometric patterns to it like metal-flakes shining in the sun.

I was happy to see it swim away when we let it go. Nobody wanted to keep it once we got a good look at it. That was enough.
Must have been awesome.
Prime TV has a David Attenborough show on the "billfish", sailfish,swordfish and Marlin. Marlin are considered the fastest of the three, can exceed 60 mph. Holly crap!
Can also grow to over 1000 lbs (called a grander).

Yeah...Photographs don't begin to show the beauty of a lit billfish. It's breathtaking the first time you see it.
The canyons off Jersey and Long Island are a favorite place for overnight fishing for big Blue Marlin, Swords and Bluefin Tuna. Those canyons get deep - well over a mile deep - and the biggest of the bigs feed in the canyons. I have known people who quit their lucrative day jobs, invested in capable boats and became full time tuna fishermen. One fishing friend, a cardiac surgeon from Needham who was maybe 45 years old back then, made more money fishing than as a physician. That's back in the '80s when a 500 lb tuna would bring $20/lb minimum with the Japanese buyers waiting for him on the dock. He'd average at least 2 or 3 bigs on every 2 day trip. He'd have done it for expenses he loved it so much.

canyons_map.jpg

I love fishing for pelagics - tuna, sails, black, blue or white marlin - there's nothing like it. Back in the '80s, I fished in the SCarolina Governor's Cup billfish tournaments out of places like Bohicket, Georgetown and Murrell's Inlet. I'd stop at a Coast Guard tower on the way out to the stream to catch dolphin fish (Mahi) for bait and one day I thought I'd try chunking for yellowfin. It's a technique I learned from an old salt in Snug Harbor/Point Judith, RI. Well, the Southern fishermen had never heard of big yellowfin being caught off SCarolina's coastal waters or chunking either, for that matter. I'll never forget the first time I did it. They thought I was nuts. "You're just feeding the 'Cuda!" You should have seen their faces when I pulled up the first 200 pounder after 15 minutes of fishing. Then, 5 minutes later my 8 year old son hooked a 50 pounder. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect but I gave it a shot and it worked beautifully. These were charter captains out of Savannah and Charleston on my boat for the tournament who had no idea big yellowfins could be caught in inland waters. Of course, the trick was to cut the chunks too big for the barracuda to eat. Big game fishing is a rush everyone should try at least once. Bucket list for sure if you've never experienced it.

Back