**Random FOOTBALL Thoughts That Don't Warrant Full Threads**

That still leaves 5 "top 10" plays for the rest of the NFL. Seems fair to me.

Bullshit. Did you even see that toss to Faulk along the sideline? Great blocking, excellent pocket sliding by Brady and a ridiculous throw/catch. The rest of the league will have to make due with 4. :coffee:

Excellent pocket sliding by Brady and a ridiculous throw. /QUOTE]

"Pocket sliding" is ok. Great even. But if makes me nervous. I don't want to get on a slippery slope ending in 5 words that I never want to hear: "Tom Brady on a rollout". OMG

"Pocket sliding" is ok. Great even. But if makes me nervous. I don't want to get on a slippery slope ending in 5 words that I never want to hear: "Tom Brady on a rollout". OMG

But don't you want defensive coordinators seeing that and throwing their arms up in air at the thought of another thing to gameplan for? :rockon:

Miscellaneous week 1 thoughts from Scout's Inc.:

1. Seattle is a very difficult place to play, but the San Francisco 49ers' performance in that town was unacceptable: Not surprisingly, the 49ers proved very difficult to run against. So the Seattle Seahawks opened it up with more spread formations and went to the air. They spread the ball around very effectively, and the 49ers' secondary could not keep up with the Seahawks' targets. The 49ers might have been even worse on offense, especially in the running game. They were dominated by Seattle's run defense. Amazingly, San Francisco was the less physical football team on both sides of the ball. If the 49ers are going to win the NFC West, they had better put this performance behind them in a hurry. Maybe they have been reading too many preseason predictions.
2. The Oakland Raiders' offensive line is a nightmare: All day in Nashville, the Raiders' front five appeared slow and outmanned. As it was in 2009, this will be a problem this season. It is the No. 1 reason why I just can't see Oakland approaching respectability this year. Jared Veldheer is not going to work out as a starting center in this league. The guy is 6-foot-8 and just can't get low enough to play that position after snapping the ball. Big nose tackle types are going to push him all over the field.
3. QB Carson Palmer faced a New England Patriots defense that has struggled to rush the passer and is very inexperienced at cornerback. That said, the Patriots dominated the Cincinnati Bengals. On paper, it seems that Palmer had a very productive day, but that wasn't the case when it mattered most. That production came during garbage time. New England was exceptional at taking away Cincinnati's inside running game -- the bread and butter of the offense -- and Palmer & Co. could not capitalize when it mattered. Palmer was effective with play-action and Chad Ochocinco did make quite a few plays. Obviously the defense and special teams didn't help the Bengals' cause, either. The Patriots' offense is going to do what it did to the Bengals to a lot of defenses this year. But Palmer is the one with all the pressure on his shoulders, and on Sunday he wasn't up to the challenge.
4. The Philadelphia Eagles were hit hard by injuries in their loss to the Green Bay Packers: Kevin Kolb, Leonard Weaver, Stewart Bradley and Jamaal Jackson all sustained injuries. Kolb not only had a poor first half, but he also suffered a concussion. His status is a great concern, but the loss of Jackson is massive as well. Philadelphia went the majority of the preseason without its starting center and the offensive line suffered quite a bit. Still, the line didn't play badly after Jackson left the game. Kolb's replacement, Michael Vick, showed that he is much more explosive athletically than he was last season. He moved the team. The Packers' defense tired quickly trying to corral Vick, who also threw the ball well. After Bradley's 2009 injury, the Eagles had a revolving door at linebacker throughout the season. Omar Gaither was the replacement, but he is best off at outside linebacker. The defense did play better as the game went along. Things are about to get really interesting for the Eagles.
5. The Minnesota Vikings' offense really misses WR Sidney Rice: Tight end Visanthe Shiancoe played a great game, but once the Saints really keyed on him, Brett Favre had very few other options. Percy Harvin is an extremely promising young player, but he and Favre were rarely on the same page. In 2009, Rice was a great safety blanket for Favre. The quarterback could put the ball up for grabs at times and his long, lanky wideout would come down with it. This group hasn't worked much together during the preseason -- maybe Favre should have made his mind up sooner about his comeback plans. Compounding matters, the line isn't strong in protection and Favre can't elude the rush like usual because of his ankle injury. In the loss Sept. 9 against the New Orleans Saints, the Vikings' wideouts caught only four balls for a measly 4.7 yards per attempt. But that Adrian Peterson guy sure looks good. For some inexplicable reason, Brad Childress drifted away from him down the stretch in Minnesota's loss.
6. My game balls for the Saints' victory over the Vikings go to the best set of guards in the league: New Orleans' tandem of RG Jahri Evans and LG Carl Nicks are pile-movers who consistently took great angles to their foes and moved them backward. That is commonplace for Nicks and Evans; I think Evans is the best guard in the league. RB Pierre Thomas didn't dance and ran very efficiently, but the bulk of his yardage came right up the middle against a premier set of Vikings defensive tackles. Thomas was the Saints' finisher. What is amazing is that these two offensive linemen are still quite young and might only be getting better.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5567805

...The Indianapolis Colts.... Losers of two in a row...

Brady's pissed at the fans.

The road environment is very different than our friendly home crowd, who, when I looked up, half the stadium was gone when we were up 21 points in the early fourth quarter, which I wasn’t so happy about. But I don’t think the Jets fans leave early.

Pats restructure Quinn Ojinnaka's contract:

Offensive lineman Quinn Ojinnaka, who was acquired in a trade with the Falcons in August, has restructured his contract.

Ojinnaka had been scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.759 million. He will now earn a base salary of $640,000, with a chance to make up and possibly exceed his previous salary if he reaches incentives. No additional years were added to the pact. “If everything goes well, the numbers shouldn’t be a problem,” Ojinnaka said Wednesday. “I just want to show Mr. Kraft and the organization that I’m not really a greedy guy. I would like to earn my money and that’s the way it worked out.”

Ojinnaka’s restructured contract is minor news in the big picture. Perhaps more than anything, it reflects Ojinnaka’s commitment to the team, as well as how the Patriots manage their payroll, aligning Ojinnaka’s base pay closer to the other backups on the roster, such as Mark LeVoir ($550,000).

http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-e...3420/minor-contract-restructure-for-ojinnaka

Maroney out.
Oogachaka in.
James possibly in.
Mankins maybe in, maybe out.
Murrell out, maybe back in.
Slater still laughing and clutching his Belichick photos.

Just realized that the next Colts game is a primetime game Sunday night. I went looking for the tv schedule and didn't see and thought it was going to be a MNF football game I would miss. Who the heck the NBC talking heads I have to listen to? Please don't say it is Chris Colinsworthless.

You get Al Michaels and noted, unabashed Colts lover of the century :)insane:), Cris Collinsworth.

I guess those two is better then hearing Madden.

"Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

Green Bay ILB AJ Hawk, the #5 pick in the 2006 draft, is nominally a "starter". But the Pack played their entire game against the Eagles out of their sub packages, result in Hawk not getting on the field at all. He is now interested in taking his services elsewhere, but will be severely hindered by his $4M salary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...thews-shines-aj-hawk-is-nowhere-to-be-found/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/15/aj-hawk-would-be-open-to-a-trade/

Trading LoMo for a 4th doesn't seem so bad. And this underscores again the value of having lots of DBs who can play.

So we can expect MORE than 14 penalties (or as Emmitt Smith says, "pelaties") from the Jets this week?
EmmittSmith.jpg

Back