**Random FOOTBALL Thoughts That Don't Warrant Full Threads**

Speaking of the Jests, something that happened to them in that MNF game reminds me of a rule I HATE...a JESTS defensive player held on 3rd & 28...AUTOMATIC first down for a 5 yard penalty. THAT.IS.BATSHIT.INSANE.
So is assessing penalties on a kickoff via making the kicker move up or back. How about letting the team that got the benefit of the penalty actually...you know...get the benefit of the penalty by letting the kick happen THEN marking off the yardage?

So we can expect MORE than 14 penalties (or as Emmitt Smith says, "pelaties") from the Jets this week?

What's the NFL record for penalties in a game? They might break it this weekend.

Jets Punter Steve Weatherford donated 5k worth of cleats to the schoool corperation here.

Speaking of the Jests, something that happened to them in that MNF game reminds me of a rule I HATE...a JESTS defensive player held on 3rd & 28...AUTOMATIC first down for a 5 yard penalty. THAT.IS.BATSHIT.INSANE.
So is assessing penalties on a kickoff via making the kicker move up or back. How about letting the team that got the benefit of the penalty actually...you know...get the benefit of the penalty by letting the kick happen THEN marking off the yardage?

Agreed on the first one.

On the second, I'm pretty sure this was changed. Coaches are now given the choice of whether they want to take the extra yardage or a rekick.

ESPN has their picks up and there are a couple things that jump out at me.

* Schefter seems to be cutting against the grain. 3X he is the lone voice of dissent in an otherwise unanimous pick (one being the Jets over the Patriots). He is also a dissenter both times all but two guys select the same team.

* I realize they are at home against KC, but I don't see how 7/10 could pick Cleveland to win. Shit, I wouldn't give Cleveland a 70% chance of beating a good college team. KC wins that one straight up, I think.

* Oakland is even worse. Every single analyst picks them over StL. Again, they are at home against a crappy team, but unanimous? Did any of these guys watch them this past week?

* There is too much love for the Texans in my book. They beat an Indy team that is downright lousy in the trenches and, despite getting tons of pressure never showed any signs of stopping Indy's passing attack. They also never proved capable of passing and I doubt Wash is going to hand them 6 yards every running play. Color me unconvinced that the Texans leave DC with a victory.

* I don't think SD is who everyone thinks they are. That feels to me like a game that could go either way, not a unanimous pick. Especially when you consider that two people picked SF to beat NO.

* 4/10 pick Ciny which I think is fair. Baltimore's OL looked terrible against the Jets and Cincy has more tools (and more willingness) to target the Raven's secondary. I won't be surprised at all if Cincy bounces back with a pretty convincing win.

ESPN has their picks up and there are a couple things that jump out at me.

* Schefter seems to be cutting against the grain. 3X he is the lone voice of dissent in an otherwise unanimous pick (one being the Jets over the Patriots). He is also a dissenter both times all but two guys select the same team.

* I realize they are at home against KC, but I don't see how 7/10 could pick Cleveland to win. Shit, I wouldn't give Cleveland a 70% chance of beating a good college team. KC wins that one straight up, I think.

* Oakland is even worse. Every single analyst picks them over StL. Again, they are at home against a crappy team, but unanimous? Did any of these guys watch them this past week?

* There is too much love for the Texans in my book. They beat an Indy team that is downright lousy in the trenches and, despite getting tons of pressure never showed any signs of stopping Indy's passing attack. They also never proved capable of passing and I doubt Wash is going to hand them 6 yards every running play. Color me unconvinced that the Texans leave DC with a victory.

* I don't think SD is who everyone thinks they are. That feels to me like a game that could go either way, not a unanimous pick. Especially when you consider that two people picked SF to beat NO.

* 4/10 pick Ciny which I think is fair. Baltimore's OL looked terrible against the Jets and Cincy has more tools (and more willingness) to target the Raven's secondary. I won't be surprised at all if Cincy bounces back with a pretty convincing win.

Agreed.

The Raiders are improved on paper but haven't shown it on the field yet. If St. Louis beats them it in Oakland it will be a very good barometer of where our #1 pick is likely to be. With KC looking significantly improved, especially on defense, it's hard to imagine Oakland not being a bottom-10 team (or worse) if they start out 0-2. And I agree with you about taking the Chiefs over Cleveland any day.

I thought the Chargers have been overhyped all year so far. Michael Lombardi picked them as his AFC SB team. They are missing 2 pro bowl players at key positions, have a rookie running back, and several questions on defense. I still think they win the weak AFC West, but in any other division of the AFC they are a 9-7 team at best.

Washington was a very good defensive team in 2009, and they appear to still be good. Houston is the better team on paper, but I could see that game being very competitive, especially in D.C.

Green Bay ILB AJ Hawk, the #5 pick in the 2006 draft, is nominally a "starter". But the Pack played their entire game against the Eagles out of their sub packages, result in Hawk not getting on the field at all. He is now interested in taking his services elsewhere, but will be severely hindered by his $4M salary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/13/while-clay-mathews-shines-aj-hawk-is-nowhere-to-be-found/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/15/aj-hawk-would-be-open-to-a-trade/

Trading LoMo for a 4th doesn't seem so bad. And this underscores again the value of having lots of DBs who can play.
AJ Hawk makes me JIMP.

KC looks to have a solid D, killer runnng game, great ST, and solid coaching. The lynchpin is Cassel. If he plays like shit, they'll lose. If he plays even half-decent, they'll win handily.

Oakland was the hot choice preseason for "most improved", and I think people are looking at how woeful St. Louis is and the fact that they have a rookie QB. I think Oakland will win it, but just barely.

I think the Texans win it handily. We'll see.

From your lips to God's ears.

I am going to burn my Bob Sanders jersey, every time I wear it when he is playing, he gets hurt not long later.

I guess I will have to break out my Dallas Clark Jersey since he seems to have good days when I wear it. Anyone want to buy me a Manning Jersey and see if Bobs jersey luck transfers to it or if Clark's luck goes to it?).

I am going to burn my Bob Sanders jersey, every time I wear it when he is playing, he gets hurt not long later.

I guess I will have to break out my Dallas Clark Jersey since he seems to have good days when I wear it. Anyone want to buy me a Manning Jersey and see if Bobs jersey luck transfers to it or if Clark's luck goes to it?).

Yes, please put on your Dallas Clark jersey. He's certainly safe, and has never had any history of injuries in his career. :coffee:

It's not all on Cassel. His receivers and his O-line (at least last year for the latter) don't do a lot to help him out, tbh.

Back