Random Political Issues Mega Thread

Coltsfan2theend

Semi Pro Sharp Shooter in Training
Reaction score
Thin blue line, for police officers.

Also, the school has reversed the discipline.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Still ok to love this country folks.

President just delivered a phenomenal speech addressing the indoctrination of our youth in the left driven school system. Derided the 1619 fabrication, the left attempts to teach and brainwash shame and guilt.

He’s established the 1776 Commision, pressing for the patriotic teaching of the actual history of the greatest nation in history.

There’s hope for my freshman.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Still ok to love this country folks.

President just delivered a phenomenal speech addressing the indoctrination of our youth in the left driven school system. Derided the 1619 fabrication, the left attempts to teach and brainwash shame and guilt.

He’s established the 1776 Commision, pressing for the patriotic teaching of the actual history of the greatest nation in history.

There’s hope for my freshman.

As long as you're around he has plenty of hope. IMO.

Cheers

johnlocke

Reaction score

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
Canadian woman arrested for trying to kill president Trump with a Ricin laced letter. I seriously doubt that this hasn't been tried before, thankfully she was caught crossing the border.

A Quebec woman arrested at the U.S. border Sunday charged with threatening to kill U.S. President Donald Trump called him an “Ugly Tyrant Clown” in a letter containing toxic ricin mailed to the White House, U.S. authorities allege.

Pascale Cecile Veronique Ferrier made explicit threats in the letter, writing that if the poison didn’t kill Trump, she would try a better recipe or use a gun, according to a criminal complaint and sworn affidavit filed in court that outlines the probe by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

On Sept. 18, the U.S. Secret Service alerted the FBI’s Washington, D.C., field office that a letter addressed to “Donald J. Trump, The White House,” mailed and postmarked from Canada, had arrived at the White House mail sorting facility, court documents say.

It contained a white powdery material.

According to the allegations, the letter inside read in part: “I found a new name for you: ‘The Ugly Tyrant Clown’ I hope you like it. You ruin USA and lead them to disaster. I have US cousins, then I don’t want the next 4 years with you as president. Give up and remove your application for this election.

“So I made a ‘Special Gift’ for you to make a decision,” it allegedly went on. “This gift is in this letter. If it doesn’t work, I’ll find better recipe for another poison, or I might use my gun when I’ll be able to come.

“Enjoy! FREE REBEL SPIRIT.”

The FBI tested the powder and confirmed it was toxic ricin.

Investigators learned of six additional letters that appeared similar to the White House threat, via other FBI field offices in Texas. These letters were received on Sept. 15 to 16 and also had been postmarked in Canada and also contained a powdery substance.

“The letters contained similar language to the letter sent to the President and were addressed to individuals affiliated with facilities at which the defendant had been housed while incarcerated in Texas in 2019.

“Each of the letters contained the statement referencing: ‘if it doesn’t work I will find a better recipe’ and all contained similar material to the material found in the letter received,” at the mail sorting facility, the FBI complaint says.

Pascale’s problems in Texas were her undoing, it has emerged.

The FBI searched for people with Canadian connections who had recently been arrested and jailed in by the Texan police agencies that were targeted.

The search turned up Ferrier’s arrest by Mission Police Department in Mission, Texas, on March 13, 2019, for weapons possession. She was transferred to Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody after the charge was dealt with, the document says.

An examination of letters showed other similarities between some of them, including the sign off of “FREE REBEL SPIRIT” and a “special gift for you.”

Four of the letters found in Texas revealed latent fingerprints, the FBI says. An analysis of the prints revealed a match to Ferrier’s prints which were in police databases because of her earlier arrest.

The FBI also searched social media accounts appearing to be Ferrier’s and found Facebook and Twitter postings which referenced “#killTrump” and discussed the pejorative “Ugly Clown Tyrant,” which is almost the same as the name used for Trump in the letter, the FBI says.

Both Facebook and Twitter accounts used the registration address of Pascale.Ferrier@gmail.com, according to the court documents.

Ferrier surrendered Sunday afternoon to U.S. authorities at the Canada-U.S. border, as opposed to being caught trying to get into the United States, border officials said.

She crossed the Peace Bridge from Fort Erie, Ont., into Buffalo, New York, but stopped her vehicle short of the inspection booth, said Mark Morgan, Acting Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

“Officers responded to the vehicle and engaged the driver. The individual, identified as Pascale Cecile Veronique Ferrier, told officers she was wanted by the FBI for mailing envelopes with ricin to the White House and other locations,” Morgan said.

She allegedly carried a loaded gun in her waistband and had ammunition and a knife.

“Officers immediately disarmed Ferrier, secured the weapons, arrested her, and coordinated with the FBI for further investigation.”

The criminal complaint and sworn affidavit were filed in court ahead of Tuesday afternoon’s scheduled court appearance by Ferrier. It was prepared and signed by FBI Special Agent Jonathan Preston and filed in Washington, D.C. Preston works with an FBI squad that responds to weapons of mass destruction and explosive precursor and bombing incidents.

“There is probable cause to believe that the defendant knowingly and willfully threatened to take the life of, and to inflict bodily harm upon, the President of the United States,” Preston’s sworn affidavit says.

Threatening the president of the United States is a federal felony under U.S. law punishable by up to five years in prison and a US$250,000 fine. It is possible she could face additional charges for the ricin as well as for the gun and knife she allegedly carried across the border.

Ferrier had a short appearance in court Tuesday afternoon, where she had a French-language interpreter by her side and a plea of not guilty was entered on her behalf.

U.S. Magistrate Judge H. Kenneth Schroeder, Jr. in federal court in Buffalo, NY., asked Ferrier if she intended to hire a lawyer of her choosing or ask for a public defender to be assigned because of financial hardship.

Ferrier said she would like a public defender. Fonda Kubiak was assigned to Ferrier’s case.

Through Kubiak, Pascale Ferrier asked for an identity hearing to determine she is the person named in the criminal complaint, arrest warrant and sworn affidavit of an FBI investigator. She also asked for a preliminary hearing to determine if there is probable cause for the charge against her.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy Lynch said the government requests she remains in custody, saying Ferrier faces a charge for a crime of violence and is a “serious risk of flight.”

Schroeder set all matters to be heard on Sept. 28.

https://nationalpost.com/news/pascale-cecile-veronique-ferrier-donald-trump-ricin-first-photo

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-hires-ex-pimp-street-czar-steyn

Mark Steyn blasts Seattle's hiring of former pimp as alternative to police: 'This is a joke'

Author, columnist calls for taxpayers to start 'conscientious objector movement'

Charles Creitz9 hours ago
Seattle hires former pimp as 'street czar' for $150,000Video
The City of Seattle's hiring of a former pimp to act as the city's "street czar" and offer "alternatives to policing" is a "joke," author and columnist Mark Steyn told "Tucker Carlson Tonight" Wednesday.

Andre Taylor, an activist who was critical of the anarchist CHOP zone that sprung up in the city over the summer -- and who appeared on "Hannity" to support the father of a 19-year-old who was shot and killed in the area -- is being paid $12,500 per month to act as the aforementioned "czar," Tucker Carlson reported.

SEATTLE HIRES FORMER PIMP AS 'STREET CZAR' FOR $150G AFTER CHOP FIASCO

According to Steyn, Taylor is being paid more for his "non-job" than two dozen state governors.

"If you were seriously interested in any of the issues that have been roiling America for the last six months, you would not be appointing a pimp as a 'street czar' for 150 grand," said Steyn, who added that such hiring decisions explain the "permanent decline" of some American cities.

Seattle officials drove away police officers to 'normalize pimps': Radio hostVideo
"You can't even board up your shattered, ruined business in Minneapolis," he claimed, "because you have to pay your taxes a year upfront before they let you put some plywood in the window."

Steyn went on to suggest that taxpayers start "a conscientious objector movement at least against municipal and state taxes until they get serious about this thing.

"These jobs are a joke and they are part of the reason why a civilization in decline."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Taylor is open about his past as a pimp -- he appeared in the 1999 documentary "American Pimp" -- and is working with the city of Seattle through his nonprofit, Not This Time, which he launched after his brother Che was killed by Seattle police in 2016.

Taylor previously received $100,000 for his nonprofit to host panel discussions called "Conversation with the Streets" in 2019, The Seattle Times reported.

Fox News' Evie Fordham contributed to this report.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
This is from the comments section on the Fox News page from an article on Trump in MN last night and admonishing Omar.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/minnesota-trump-biden-terrorism

Couldn’t be more fitting:

This describes MILLIONS of us. Tread lightly! My tolerance is running
out. I never cared what color you were until you started blaming me for
your problems. I never cared about your political affiliation until you
started to condemn me for mine. I never cared where you were from in
this great Republic until you began condemning people based on where
they were born and the history that makes them who they are. I have
never cared if you were well off or poor because I've been both. Until
you started calling me names for working hard and bettering myself, I've
never cared if your beliefs are different than mine. Until you said I
am not entitled to my beliefs, now I care. I've given all the tolerance I
have to give. This is no longer my problem. It's your problem. You can
still fix it. It's not too late, but it soon will be. I'm a very
patient person at times. But I'm about out of patience. There are
literally millions of people just like me. We have had enough... AND I will
fight for that right to freedom and will fight as if my LIFE depended on it!

Last edited:

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
This is the type of mindset we are dealing with today, the liberal indoctrination has taught her well. I would really like to know of what this supposed "damage" that Trump has caused because she sure as hell doesn't list any of it, it's all just empty rhetoric.

A cold war is a state of political hostility that stops short of open warfare. America has entered a cold civil war, a redux of our Civil War beginning in 1861, in which the philosophical battle lines are eerily similar to those of the 19th century.Yet this is a very different kind of war. What some generations had to deal with externally, we now have to deal with internally as well. It is aspects of our character as well as aspects of our politics that will be required to achieve victory.
A stroke of a presidential signature and a constitutional amendment could abolish slavery but could not eradicate racism, just as passing the 19th Amendment could give women the right to vote but could not eradicate misogyny. We're going to have to deal with the root causes of our problems, not just treat their symptoms, if our democracy is to survive.

Our founding principles are engraved on marble walls and written on parchment protected behind glass, yet that's not enough to keep them alive. They're truly alive only if they're alive in our hearts, passed down from generation to generation by those who recognize not only their importance but also every individual's responsibility to protect and further them in our time. Too many of us, for far too long, did not do that. And for anyone with even a modicum of regard for the lessons of history, it is clear that nothing could reasonably have occurred as a result of that except exactly what is occurring now. The only thing shocking about this moment is that so many people are shocked.
NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
The pillars of American democracy are often represented by marble columns, but those aren't the ones that are falling down. They are merely symbols of the pillars that hold up our freedom, and we've kidded ourselves that if those were erect, then we were OK. But we are not OK, because the pillars that are the real foundations of our democracy are philosophical and spiritual as much as legalistic and material. They are courage, devotion, love of country and the selflessness to pursue something bigger than just the betterment of our own material circumstances. And those pillars have been rotting slowly for decades, to the point where they are creaking. Too many accumulated layers of slavish devotion to the false god of mammon among the empowered, and political disengagement among the disempowered, now threaten to destroy us. Millions of us are afraid, and legitimately so, that the roof might, in fact, come down on this magnificent edifice whose strength we so childishly took for granted.

No one thought one man could do so much damage in such a short period of time. No one thought so many intelligent people would disregard any shred of integrity in order to support him. And too many underestimated the importance of Thomas Jefferson's warning that the only safe repository of power in this country is in the hands of its people. Silly us. We thought it was lawyers.
And now we're in a catastrophic moment, with millions of Americans almost paralyzed with fear that the foundations of our democracy—which now that they're threatened, many realize really do matter—might be demolished in front of our eyes. For the enemy is not just at the door. The enemy has the keys. And way too many Americans are actually inviting him in.

Any optimism we once had is now faded, like relics in a museum. First, there was the thought that we didn't have to worry because Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump would rein in his worst instincts; then there was the one where Robert Mueller would surely be able to bring him down; and then there was the one we held onto the longest: that our institutions would surely hold. Sadly, none of those things have come to pass, and it's up to the people now. Our democracy has a stage 4 cancer, and all our political establishment is offering is a topical ointment. No one is going to save us but ourselves, and that will require us to dig deep. We ourselves must be the healers now. We ourselves must be the immune cells that fight off the disease and dysfunction in our body politic.
NEWSWEEK SUBSCRIPTION OFFERS >
The healing will not be simple, or easy, because the major opposition to our democracy is not relegated to a particular institution. We're not dealing now with operable tumors, such as the malevolent institutions of slavery, suppression of women or segregation. Today, we're dealing with a cancer that has already metastasized and wrapped itself around healthy organs. The opposition to democracy isn't coming from someone bombing our cities from afar; hell, he's our attorney general.
We need to summon layers of personal power now, from a deeper intellectual understanding to a meaningful amount of courage. We need a holistic paradigm of societal and political change now. For who we are in this moment is as significant as what we do, and we'll have to transform ourselves if we're to transform our country. We need to be braver than we have ever been before.
If you're afraid to say it because it might put you on some list like a McCarthy-era blackballing of suspected communists; say it anyway. If you're afraid to do it because your customer base might not like it and you could lose some revenue; do it anyway. If you're a politician afraid to vote courageously because you're still playing the old political game, have some chutzpah, for God's sake, and vote your conscience. If you're afraid to take a stand for the ages because they might come and get you; stand tall, stand proud and keep standing.

Of course, we need to identify our problems in the present; but we need to identify with the problem solvers in our past. We've had magnificent role models throughout our history. We're dealing with what's simply the latest iteration of a contest that has been with us from the very beginning: a struggle between the most enlightened aspirational principles of liberty and justice for all, and forces that would oppose, nullify and extinguish those principles.
<figure class="imageBox" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px 0px 20px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; clear: both; position: relative; height: auto; font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 20px; max-width: inherit !important;">
<source type="image/webp" media="(min-width: 992px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/jpeg" media="(min-width: 992px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/webp" media="(min-width: 768px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=900&f=9eff155facf68d0b21e2fc462905fa97 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=900&f=9eff155facf68d0b21e2fc462905fa97 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/jpeg" media="(min-width: 768px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=900&f=9eff155facf68d0b21e2fc462905fa97 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=900&f=9eff155facf68d0b21e2fc462905fa97 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/webp" media="(min-width: 481px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/jpeg" media="(min-width: 481px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/webp" media="(min-width: 0px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=450&f=4ae9cd8ccc5d3f76e8a944349f9dff83 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=450&f=4ae9cd8ccc5d3f76e8a944349f9dff83 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/jpeg" media="(min-width: 0px)" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=450&f=4ae9cd8ccc5d3f76e8a944349f9dff83 1x" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.jpg?w=450&f=4ae9cd8ccc5d3f76e8a944349f9dff83 1x" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;"><source type="image/webp" data-srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a" srcset="https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1642314/proud-boys-protesters-clash.webp?w=790&f=c8e88515b325387fc3774070f7f3b61a" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;">
<figcaption class="caption" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px none; list-style: outside none none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 10px 15px 15px; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 15px; line-height: 18px; font-family: "Roboto Condensed", sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">A member of the Proud Boys fires a paint ball gun into a crowd of anti-police protesters as the two sides clashed on August 22 in Portland, Oregon.NATHAN HOWARD/GETTY</figcaption>
</figure>We're not the first generation to have to deal with violent, politicized forces that would overwhelm our most treasured ideals. But other generations triumphed over those forces and so can we. From abolition to the women's suffrage movement to the civil rights movement, brave generations of Americans pushed back against domestic enemies of liberty and justice. It's simply our turn. We're not facing a challenge greater than what others had to face in their time. Let's pray we won't be the first generation to wimp out on doing what it takes to fortify the pillars, fix the roof and save our democracy from collapse.

Speaking on the hallowed ground of Gettysburg, Abraham Lincoln said the battle had been fought to determine whether a government "conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal" could long survive. Whether a government "of the people, by the people and for the people...would not perish from the earth." We're living the exact same struggle today, for such a government is perishing now. It will take all our courage, all our patriotism, and all our love to bring it back to life.
Our nation has strayed from our founding principles and abandoned the tenets of our democracy many times before, but let's not forget that our historical tendency has been to course-correct. God knows we have strayed again and strayed profoundly. But a grand course correction is now in play. A tremendous battle in that war will be waged on November 3. Individually and collectively, we the people must now step in.
Marianne Williamson is a Newsweek columnist, best-selling author, political activist and spiritual thought leader. She is founder of Project Angel Food and co-founder of the Peace Alliance, and was the first candidate in the 2020 presidential primary to make reparations a pillar of her campaign. She is the author of 13 books, among them Healing the Soul of America and A Politics of Love

https://www.newsweek.com/marianne-williamson-americas-cold-civil-war-opinion-1534660

Last edited:

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/10/08/poll-56-percent-americans-better-trump-four-years-ago/

Poll: 56% Americans Say They Are Better Off Now Under Trump Than Four Years Ago Under Obama-Biden

Matthew Boyle8 Oct 2020
US President Donald Trump speaks at the 2018 Project Safe Neighborhoods National Conference in Kansas City, Missouri, on December 7, 2018. (Photo by Jim WATSON / AFP) (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)
JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images
4:01

A solid majority of 56 percent of Americans say they are better off now than they were four years ago, a new Gallup survey reveals.

Only 32 percent say they are worse off than four years ago. The number is, as Fox News’s Laura Ingraham noted on Thursday night, “the highest Gallup has ever recorded.”

President Trump responded to the survey in a tweet:

Historically speaking, this bodes very well for President Donald Trump as he seeks reelection. Right around previous presidential elections when an incumbent has been seeking reelection dating back to the mid-1980s, never has this number been this high — or even at a majority. For instance, when former President Barack Obama was seeking reelection in early 2012, the number was at 45 percent. It stayed at that level through the election that Obama won until December 2012. Likewise, when former President George W. Bush was seeking reelection in 2004 — in October — the number was at 47 percent. The junior Bush won. When former President George H.W. Bush was seeking reelection in 1992, the number dropped down to 38 percent — and the senior Bush lost. But in 1984, when former President Ronald Reagan was seeking reelection — he won 49 states in a landslide defeat of his Democrat opponent — the number was down at just 44 percent.

It is unclear what the number was during former President Bill Clinton’s reelection campaign in 1996 in the immediate lead-up to the election as Gallup’s chart does not include that year, but earlier in 1996, less than a year before the election in January, the number was reported at 50 percent.

While the 56 percent number is impressive indeed — again the highest ever recorded this close to an election — it was even higher before the coronavirus pandemic swept across the United States. In February, a whopping 61 percent said they believed they were better off than three years earlier when Trump took office in January 2017. As such, while the number slid a little bit — five points — during the coronavirus pandemic the past six months, the number of Americans who consider their lives better with Trump as president remains at record levels even with all the disruption this year.

All this means, also, that the vast majority of Americans think their lives are better off — literally during, again, a pandemic that has upended American life — than it was when Obama was president and Trump’s opponent this year former Vice President Joe Biden was Obama’s second-in-command. Even with the disruption from the pandemic, in other words, it is hard to see those people who like life more now under Trump than they did when Biden was in charge voting for a change. And it would amount to a serious historical aberration for Trump to lose, given the trends in Gallup polling on this question since Reagan asked it of the public in 1984.

In other words, the only incumbent president who has lost reelection when seeking a second term since this question was first asked — the elder Bush — saw the number nearly 20 percent less than where it is now for Trump. And this year has an extra interesting dynamic in that the challenging party’s candidate was the number two in the previous administration, which consistently had a much worse rating on this question than where it is now under Trump.

The question represents an interesting gauge of support for an incumbent president facing reelection as it asks, generally speaking, if the respondent believes their life has improved during the first term of the president asking voters for a second term.

“During his presidential campaign in 1980, Ronald Reagan asked Americans, ‘Are you better off today than you were four years ago?'” Gallup’s RJ Reinhart wrote. “Since then, this question has served as a key standard that sitting presidents running for reelection have been held to.”

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Reach of the left had no bounds.

I’m no prude. Why can’t we simply keep a treasure as written instead of filling it with sex? Watch your show, then hit PornHub if you need that escape.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/0...azon-is-giving-it-a-game-of-thrones-makeover/

The Left Can’t Stand Tolkien’s Christian-Influenced ‘Lord Of The Rings,’ So Amazon Is Giving It A ‘Game Of Thrones’ Makeover

What better way for the Left to undermine Tolkien's message than to reimagine his stories in secular terms?

Evita Duffy
Amazon Prime’s “Lord of the Rings” series set to release in 2021 has been eagerly anticipated by devoted LOTR fans around the world. The $1 billion series will be set in the Second Age of Middle Earth, which spans 3441 years, before the events of the LOTR movies.

Unfortunately, it looks like the creators of the series, which they claim is based on J.R.R Tolkien’s original work, may be trying to imitate “Game of Thrones”-type nudity and “rapey” storylines. This, no doubt, will delight the left, who have long detested Tolkien’s writing and distinctive Christian influence on popular culture.

According to TheOneRing.net, the casting agency for the series put out an open call for actors who “must be comfortable with nudity.” In addition, Amazon Studios has hired an “intimacy coordinator,” and the writer and producer from “Game of Thrones,” Bryan Cogman, has officially been hired as a consulting producer.

“Game of Thrones,” made by Amazon for Amazon, could not be more different from Tolkien’s beloved, classic books about Middle Earth, so of course, LOTR fans are worried.

Tolkien’s award-winning epic fantasy trilogy has sold more than 150 million copies, acquired a cult- following, and was voted the favorite novel in England, Australia, the United States, and Germany. It has also been dubbed “the #1 most influential fantasy book.” Tolkien, a medievalist scholar, is widely considered the “father of modern fantasy.” He was also a devout Catholic, which may explain why there are no sex scenes in any of Tolkien’s classic works.

Tolkien’s books were deeply religious and purposeful. As David Platt wrote in a “Standpoint” article, “Tolkien combined his extraordinary talent for story-telling and philology to communicate conservative and Catholic values and images through his captivating fictional tales of Hobbits, Elves, Men, and Dwarfs.” “The Lord of the Rings” is, as Tolkien said, “a fundamentally religious and Catholic work…”

This isn’t to say that Tolkien’s stories are not grim and sometimes gory. They are. Tolkien’s legendarium is often dark, but always meaningful. Tolkien said to his publisher that he desired his Legendarium to be presented as “‘high,’ purged of the gross.”

The award-winning Peter Jackson film trilogy is widely considered one of the best film adaptations of all time and grossed a $2.9 billion at the box office worldwide.

New Line Cinema’s train wreck “The Hobbit” trilogy departed from Tolkien’s intentions. “The Hobbit” trilogy is based on Tolkien’s 300-page children’s book of the same name. There was simply not enough source material in the original book for three two and half hour movies. Although “The Hobbit” movies were not hyper-sexual, they did invent some unsolicited romance, new characters, and plot points. These film adaptations of “The Hobbit” did not recreate the innocent, fantastical spirit of Tolkien’s original book.

Many fans have been anxiously awaiting Amazon’s new series ever since rumors began circulating that the Tolkien Estate has “veto power” over production. Indeed, the Tolkien estate had the power to force Amazon into only recreating the Second Age. That way the TV series would not be able to retell the movies. However, how much power the estate has is unknown.

There was also hope for a faithful adaptation when renowned Tolkien scholar and author, Tom Shippey, was brought in to help the creators with the map of Middle-Earth. Unfortunately, Shippy is no longer working with the Amazon series.

As Platt pointed out, the left wins political battles “through the domination of institutions, the professions, culture and received thought.” The “social conservatism of Middle Earth” is one of the few things in pop culture that is antithetical to the left’s worldview and goals. Naturally, then, the left has employed their usual tactics to take down Tolkien and his Legendarium, pronouncing “The Lord of the Rings” racist, sexist, and non-inclusive of LGBTQ+ people.

Fortunately, they have been pretty unsuccessful, and Tolkien’s work prevails. Radical feminist Germaine Greer wrote: “It has been my nightmare that Tolkien would turn out to be the most influential writer of the 20th century. The bad dream has materialized.”

Hollywood realized they could not ignore Tolkien’s popularity. They recently released a film about his life that totally ignored his Catholic faith, which profoundly influenced his work, and disregarded his conservative political and social views.

It is obvious the left has it in for Tolkien and his work. This could not stop a major company like Amazon from wanting to profit off Tolkien’s hugely popular Legendarium.

While Amazon is looking for a cash cow series, it appears pop culture is trying to defile Tolkien’s work from within, and what better way to undermine Tolkien’s message than to reimagine his stories in secular terms? From their point of view, it makes perfect sense to recreate the Second Age into a sexual paganist series to succeed “Game of Thrones.”

The left is already cheering on the beginnings of the presumed assassination of Tolkien’s legacy. The leftist “NY Magazine” ran a story this week headlined, “Give Us the Horny Lord of the Rings Show We Deserve.” “Are we sure that an overwhelmingly erotic Middle Earth experience is such a bad thing,” read the article. “Make the elves get a little freaky. Allow the hobbits their fun. Give a new meaning to the inscription on the West-door of the Mines of Moria: Speak, friend, and enter.”

Tolkien’s books are beautifully written. They reveal greater layered truths about humanity, life, purpose, prayer, and the meaning of death through a Christian prism. In “The Return of the King,” Sam says, “There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.”

We should fight for the world Tolkien created. It is a remaining glimmer of hope in our otherwise bleak and God-less culture. If the series becomes secularized and sexualized by the left, Tolkien fans should register their displeasure by not watching it. Tolkien fans have an obligation to “defend” the popular and culturally influential Tolkien legacy against, as he said, “the malice of its enemies.”

Evita Duffy is an intern at The Federalist and a junior at the University of Chicago, where she studies American History. She loves the Midwest, lumberjack sports, writing, & her family. Follow her on Twitter at @evitaduffy_1 or contact her at evitapduffy@uchicago.edu

shecolt

Reaction score
My favorite portion of the Parade magazine insert that comes with my Sunday paper is the "Ask Marilyn" column. While many of you may have read what was written yesterday or read something similar elsewhere, I am still going to post her answer to a question because I found it to give a good perspective into why the electoral college is needed.

The question was:

Some people don't like electoral votes (versus popular votes) deciding our presidential elections. Can you make an argument in favor of electoral votes?

Her reply was:

We are the United States of America, and our states . . . starting with the original 13 colonies . . . are separate entities. It is understandably unacceptable to states with smaller populations to have their affairs decided by other states simply because more people live there. Suppose there were a United Countries of Earth. Would we like the idea of China (population 1.439 billion) and India (1.380 billion) running the show? (The U.S. has 331 million people.) Or would we want a leveling factor?