Random Political Issues Mega Thread

Patriots71

Reaction score
don't we all.
Exactly. I never bought that either. Any issue that would send anyone to jail would eventually come out. I doubt that was his prime motivation. Like all candidates, I believe he wanted to win. Have not seen one yet that wanted to lose.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
About 32,900,000 results (0.49 seconds)

Search Results​

Web results​

How Trump May Be Plotting to Stay Out of Jail | Washington ...

washingtonmonthly.com › Political Animal

Aug 22, 2020 — Let's start with what we know about the president's core message. We know that his website offers no new proposals for his second term on taxes, ...

Is Donald Trump Running for Re-Election to Stay Out of Prison ...

www.vanityfair.com › news › 2019/03 › donald-trump...

Mar 6, 2019 — Senator Richard Shelby and Donald Trump in the Cabinet Room at the ... if he is not president,” The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

Above the Law: Is Donald Trump Running for President in ...

www.lavocedinewyork.com › news › 2020/08/06 › abo...

Aug 6, 2020 — ... the Law: Is Donald Trump Running for President in 2020 to Stay Out of Jail? ... On two occasions Donald Trump has stated, “I wish her well”.

Trump 2020 Shaping Up to Be a Campaign to Stay Out of Prison

nymag.com › intelligencer › 2018/12 › mueller-sentencin...

Dec 8, 2018 — Thus, it's quite plausible that the only reason Donald Trump has not been indicted on federal charges is because he is the president. The ...

How Donald Trump Is Vulnerable to Prosecution - The Intercept

theintercept.com › trump-election-crimes-prosecution

Oct 18, 2020 — Former presidents normally don't go to jail, but few have committed so many ... Even if President Donald Trump loses on November 3, it's hard to imagine ... when it involves paying off your mistresses to keep quiet (allegedly).

Trump Needs to Win Re-Election to Stay Out of Jail! | Tony's ...

apicciano.commons.gc.cuny.edu › 2020/09/29 › trump...

Sep 29, 2020 — “When he's not president anymore, we don't know what's going to happen,” Painter said. “And neither does he, so he wants to stay in order to ...

Will Donald Trump end up in prison? He could be a step closer

www.theguardian.com › commentisfree › may › will-d...

May 19, 2020 — Joe Biden has pledged that, if elected, he won't pardon Trump. Is the president's attempt to whip up a scandal about Obama because he is ... Sign out · Search. current edition: US edition. switch to the US edition · switch to the ... On Monday, the US attorney general, William Barr, burst his boss's bubble and ...

The Only Thing Keeping Trump Out of Jail - Rolling Stone

www.rollingstone.com › trump-cohen-manafort-714430

Aug 22, 2018 — U.S. President Donald Trump reacts to a question during an interview ... sworn into high office would be fighting in court to remain free on bail.

If Trump loses the election but stays, cabinet secretaries who ...

www.washingtonpost.com › outlook › 2020/07/09 › pe...

Jul 9, 2020 — But Cabinet members who try to help face prison. ... If Trump does try to hang on to a presidency he's lost, however, he ... Thankfully, there are laws that stop others from using the authorities of the executive branch on ... As Trump began floating baseless claims of election fraud, television networks cut away.

Trump must remain in power to stay out of prison: Watch what ...

www.salon.com › 2019/12/21 › trump-must-remain-in-...

Dec 21, 2019 — He'll call for “investigations” of every Democratic presidential candidate who's going up in the polls and announce he's got “dirt” on every one of ...
You posted from garbage sources and stories that are not germane to the subject at hand.

You’re welcome to try again.

shecolt

Reaction score

Portland official who wants to defund police calls cops on Lyft driver​

A Portland, Oregon, city commissioner who wants to cut millions of dollars from the city’s police bureau placed her own call to 911 last weekend after her Lyft driver cut her ride short.

Jo Ann Hardesty, who oversees Portland’s emergency dispatch system, called the police on a Lyft driver on the evening of Nov. 1 after he tried to drop her off at a Chevron gas station instead of her intended destination because of a disagreement about the windows, according to police documents reviewed by The Oregonian.

Richmond Frost, a Lyft driver of four years, told the publication that Ms. Hardesty demanded he roll up the windows because she was cold. He said he rolled them up to only a crack and informed her that Lyft policy now requires windows to be open for ventilation during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“I did say, ‘It’s for my safety and your safety.’ But that was like pouring gas on her fire,” he said. “She demanded that I close that window right now. She was kind of ballistic at that point.”

Mr. Frost said he ultimately decided to cancel the trip and tried to let Ms. Hardesty out of the car at an open gas station, but she refused.

“She was not a pleasant person,” he said. “That has nothing to do with her political position as a Portland council person. I’m out here doing my job. She was very disrespectful to me, made me uncomfortable. I don’t feel like I have to sit in a car for anyone to have to argue unrelentingly and be rude and abusive, telling me what I have to do in my own vehicle.”

Ms. Hardesty then called the police from the back seat of Mr. Frost’s car, according to audio obtained by The Oregonian, telling dispatchers, “Well, I’ve got a Lyft driver that decided he would just drop me off at a filling station. Well, I’m not getting out of the car, in the dark, at a filling station, not happening — all because I asked him to put the window up. I’m not leaving.”

The dispatcher informed the commissioner several times that no crime had been committed and that her complaint was a civil matter, The Oregonian reported.

“I am not going to allow him to leave me at the side of the road,” Ms. Hardesty responded.

Mr. Frost then placed his own call to the police before a patrol car arrived. Police said the incident was ultimately resolved and both parties went their separate ways after Ms. Hardesty ordered another Lyft.

In a complaint to Lyft obtained by The Oregonian, Ms. Hardesty wrote, “It is totally inappropriate to expect a woman to get out of a vehicle in the dead of night because any angry person demands it. This is a safety issue for your customer. Your driver was in no danger.”

A member of a Lyft Safety Team identified as Garry reportedly responded, “As a reminder, drivers are free to end a ride for any reason as long as the drop-off is in a safe location.”

If there was an annual "Karen Award", I would vote for Ms. Hardesty because nothing says "Karen" more than someone pushing for the defunding of police to then call the police expecting them to report to a scene where no crime has taken place . . . merely because she is either too ignorant to know that ventilation of air can help reduce the concentration of airborne contaminants or she is another one who thinks that she should be exempt from any protocols put in place due to COVID.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Met Tulsi Gabbard at a Town Hall event here in NH. She asked me what could she do for me and the country. I said point blank, "Get out of our way". She looked at me in all earnestness and, "I'm sorry I don't believe in that".

That ended my dalliance with her.

1.jpg

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Wait....a perjury charge for Trump? For what, specifically? When did he commit perjury?

Don't get me wrong...I am ALL IN on charging any president, and any politican, with perjury at any time, for any reason, and make prison sentences mandatory! So count me in!

But...being "fact checked by Snopes" does not equate to perjury, so be specific please.

jetsknicks1

Reaction score

Portland official who wants to defund police calls cops on Lyft driver​

A Portland, Oregon, city commissioner who wants to cut millions of dollars from the city’s police bureau placed her own call to 911 last weekend after her Lyft driver cut her ride short.

Jo Ann Hardesty, who oversees Portland’s emergency dispatch system, called the police on a Lyft driver on the evening of Nov. 1 after he tried to drop her off at a Chevron gas station instead of her intended destination because of a disagreement about the windows, according to police documents reviewed by The Oregonian.

Richmond Frost, a Lyft driver of four years, told the publication that Ms. Hardesty demanded he roll up the windows because she was cold. He said he rolled them up to only a crack and informed her that Lyft policy now requires windows to be open for ventilation during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“I did say, ‘It’s for my safety and your safety.’ But that was like pouring gas on her fire,” he said. “She demanded that I close that window right now. She was kind of ballistic at that point.”

Mr. Frost said he ultimately decided to cancel the trip and tried to let Ms. Hardesty out of the car at an open gas station, but she refused.

“She was not a pleasant person,” he said. “That has nothing to do with her political position as a Portland council person. I’m out here doing my job. She was very disrespectful to me, made me uncomfortable. I don’t feel like I have to sit in a car for anyone to have to argue unrelentingly and be rude and abusive, telling me what I have to do in my own vehicle.”

Ms. Hardesty then called the police from the back seat of Mr. Frost’s car, according to audio obtained by The Oregonian, telling dispatchers, “Well, I’ve got a Lyft driver that decided he would just drop me off at a filling station. Well, I’m not getting out of the car, in the dark, at a filling station, not happening — all because I asked him to put the window up. I’m not leaving.”

The dispatcher informed the commissioner several times that no crime had been committed and that her complaint was a civil matter, The Oregonian reported.

“I am not going to allow him to leave me at the side of the road,” Ms. Hardesty responded.

Mr. Frost then placed his own call to the police before a patrol car arrived. Police said the incident was ultimately resolved and both parties went their separate ways after Ms. Hardesty ordered another Lyft.

In a complaint to Lyft obtained by The Oregonian, Ms. Hardesty wrote, “It is totally inappropriate to expect a woman to get out of a vehicle in the dead of night because any angry person demands it. This is a safety issue for your customer. Your driver was in no danger.”

A member of a Lyft Safety Team identified as Garry reportedly responded, “As a reminder, drivers are free to end a ride for any reason as long as the drop-off is in a safe location.”

If there was an annual "Karen Award", I would vote for Ms. Hardesty because nothing says "Karen" more than someone pushing for the defunding of police to then call the police expecting them to report to a scene where no crime has taken place . . . merely because she is either too ignorant to know that ventilation of air can help reduce the concentration of airborne contaminants or she is another one who thinks that she should be exempt from any protocols put in place due to COVID.
Rules for thee and not for me.

shecolt

Reaction score
Rules for thee and not for me.

Yep, just like this . . .

Chicago mayor's lockdown orders, 'canceling' of Thanksgiving draw pushback​

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot faced intense backlash Thursday for her recent round of lockdown orders, which came days after she joined large crowds celebrating Joe Biden's election victory.
placeholder

Amid national spikes of coronavirus cases, the Windy City's top Democrat announced a 30-day stay-at-home advisory that will take effect Monday.

The advisory calls on all Chicagoans to do the following: "Stay home unless for essential reasons, Stop having guests over — including family members you do not live with, Avoid non-essential travel, Cancel traditional Thanksgiving plans," Lightfoot summarized on Twitter.

The orders suggest Lightfoot has been taking the coronavirus outbreak seriously. But just last Saturday, she was seen maskless while touting the projected victory of President-elect Biden in a video she shared on her Twitter account.

"This is a great day for our city. This is a great day for our country. We get to take our democracy back," Lightfoot exclaimed into a megaphone causing the crowd around her to cheer.

The video shows a mask dangling from one of Lightfoot's ears as the people surrounding her failing to practice social distancing guidelines.

Critics took notice of what they considered to be blatant hypocrisy.
placeholder

"People couldn’t be with their loved ones in their final moments on this earth, families couldn’t hold funerals and grieve together, churches were closed under threat of penalty, but Lori Lightfoot can flout all the rules and scream into a megaphone," radio host Dana Loesch reacted.

"Democratic Hypocrisy - Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot joins thousands in the streets to praise Joe Biden; 1-week later she issues an order telling people to stay home, stop having guests over, and cancel traditional Thanksgiving plans," Washington Examiner contributor Mark Vargas said.

"4 days after Mayor Lightfoot addressed a huge crowd (maskless) to celebrate election results, she announced a stay-at-home advisory for Chicago. Numbers are out of control, the advisory might be smart! But needlessly hurt her credibility with this," Dispatch reporter Declan Garvey tweeted.

"Whoa who is this unmasked speaker shouting into a super spreader event crowd? Someone call security!" attorney Harmeet Dhillon exclaimed.

"This is OK but Thanksgiving isn't? Again it's the disgusting hypocrisy of America's political leadership that has contributed to a lack of trust in health guidances at the exact moment that trust is needed. The Crowds Good / Crowds Bad stance depending on politics has cost lives," Washington Examiner reporter Jerry Dunleavy summarized.

johnlocke

Reaction score
"This is not a clash between civilizations; it is a clash between civilization and barbarism." —John David Lewis

johnlocke

Reaction score
My very dear friend, Dr. Nora Dimitrova Clinton, an immigrant who grew up under Communist tyranny in Bulgaria, wrote a touching tribute to America. This is a brief and beautiful essay, and an effective antidote to the anti-American propaganda emanating from the contemporary U.S. Left. Read it and enjoy.

"I love America because it was born from an odds-defying act of courage and a profoundly humane philosophy that sanctifies the individual’s natural rights."

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Someone who became quite popular around the US for his ability to analyze the election results and explain them in a non-partisan way is Steve Kornacki.

Interestingly, my town has produced three journalists, although I despise the 3rd.

Kornacki

Peter Gammons (greatest MLB writer of all time, IMHO).

And Dan Shaughnessey.
A bit unfortunate , that last one.

Still pretty damn impressive that such a small town produced such well known writers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score

This showed up on my google home page. They made it a point to mention Mar a largo and trump. Neither of which had no interest in the story other then it happened near the place.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Posted mosted of this in the Election thread in several different posts but put it all together to make it more cohesive and added a few things and thought this was a good thread to post it in:

I'd be happy if all liberals, conservatives and libertarians actually adopted reason as their epistemological base. It's all on you guys destroying this country just from different sides of the coin.

Rational men can disagree but they always benefit.

This country was founded on the inviolability of individual rights, of which the right to life (I don't mean abortion so don't be obtuse and go there) is the base and property rights it's actionable process. "Without property rights no other rights are possible".

The only proper function of a legitimate government is the courts, police and military to protect these rights and nothing more which is what made the US incredible and freed and pulled a great deal of the world out of poverty because they, to some degree adopted these beautiful founding principles. And to the degree these other countries adopted them they flourished.

Proper ethics led to the creation of the greatest nation, morally and as must be the case, existentially in the history of the world. And you fuckers can't respect rights. You, most of you, are the are the ones screwing it up.

"Man holds these rights, not from the Collective nor for the Collective, but against the Collective—as a barrier which the Collective cannot cross; . . . these rights are man’s protection against all other men."

Just stop it. This shit is for the birds. And you are going to destroy the greatest nation to ever grace the earth. I

If undertaken properly those functions of government are the only proper functions of government and cover all bases for the protection of individual rights.

I don't know if any of you have seen it but I've told the story before that I met Tulsi Gabbard, not a bad Democrat, at a Town Hall here in NH. She was intrigued by my questions and came up to me afterwards and said, "What is it you want to see me and the government do for you?" I said, "Get out of our way, we got this.". Her reply, was, like most of yours, "Yeah I don't believe in that".

That was the end of my dalliance with her.

Trump is a philosophical pragmatist with no solid footing per the nature of pragmatism so he is overall a mess of contradictions. However, one of the things I like about Trump though is that he understands at least one proper principle, a very important one, he understands that government overreach in many areas was an impediment to freedom and prosperity and orchestrated a quite large surge in federal deregulation of many things and industustries from his first day in office.

That, I loved.

Get the hell outta the way!

Proper principled laws are already on the books to handle most things and when something new comes up we have the courts to adjudicate. Get rid of the rest.

Many are talking about positive rights like health care, education etc, of which there is no such thing.

Rights are a moral concept relating to one's actions. No one has the right to enslave, dispose nor take his justly earned life and wealth in any way shape or form for any purpose whatsoever.

I'm often rebutted with the issue of the roads and bridges as a concrete example. The car companies originally built and could have continued and made deals with other companies such as Standard Oil to build this stuff in order to have a reason for their customers to buy their products. That is laisseiz-faire capitalism, at its finest, which it always is but which we have rarely had if ever fully in this country in any industry.

Someone always wants to control sometheing they didn't create with money they didn't earn when it comes to politicians, bureaucrats and the such and there are most often unscrupulous businessman and others that will take advantage of such corruption. That is cronyism, not Capitalism. Buying favors for your company or industry.

The answer to that is the complete and utter separation of state and economics in the same way and for the same reason as the separation of church and state. That includes no safety net programs funded by taxes. There are charities for those in tough times through no fault of their own and they would grow exponentially if so much was not taken from US citizens weekly.

If there are no favors to be bought from politicians and no laws or regulations creating winners and losers or whatnot based on nothing rational there is no corruption of the free market which is immense in it's scale today and has been been for a long many years much to the detriment of the United States and the world.