Random Political Issues Mega Thread

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score

Chief of Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using tribe’s name on SUVs​

PUBLISHED MON, FEB 22 20212:32 PM ESTUPDATED MON, FEB 22 20213:47 PM EST

Michael Wayland@MIKEWAYLAND
KEY POINTS
  • Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs.
  • Jeep said it is “committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation” and Hoskin.
  • The company has used the Cherokee name for more than 45 years, including for two current SUVs.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Source: Fiat Chrysler
The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs, saying it “does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”
Jeep started using the Cherokee name more than 45 years ago, including on the brand’s top-selling Grand Cherokee SUV. It also offers a smaller SUV called the Cherokee, which was its third best-selling vehicle last year in the U.S.
“I think we’re in a day and age in this country where it’s time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general,” Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, said in a statement. “I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”
Hoskin reiterated those remarks, which were first reported by Car and Driver, in an interview Monday with CNBC. Hoskin doesn’t expect Jeep to immediately change the name of the vehicles, but he said the Cherokee Nation does not condone the use of the name.
H/O: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Fiat Chrysler
“My view is that a corporation shouldn’t be marketing its products using our name,” Hoskin said. “For the Jeep company, I think they look at it as something they conceived of decades ago, and I think they very much, in good faith, believe this is honoring the Cherokee people. I disagree, and we’ve had this name a bit longer than the Jeep company has. We’ve had it since before recorded history.”
In an emailed statement, Jeep said it is more than ever “committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin, Jr.” The company said its vehicle names “have been carefully chosen and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess, and pride.”
After being contacted by Car and Driver about Hoskin’s statement, several company officials reached out to the Cherokee Nation, according to Hoskin. He characterized the discussions as “good” and “genuine,” but they didn’t change his stance on the issue.

Hoskin said the best way to honor the Cherokee Nation is to learn about its culture and history and “have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness.” When asked whether the tribe would be open to a deal with Jeep to provide royalties or donations from the sale of the Cherokee vehicles, he said such a situation would be “problematic.”
“Financial incentives, things of that nature, to me, don’t remedy the underlying problem,” he said.
Hoskin later said he’s “most encouraged” by the company and its customers potentially even thinking about changing the names. “I’m hopeful over time that things get better.”
WATCH NOW
VIDEO03:20
Washington’s NFL team announces it will change name for 2020 season

Hoskin’s criticism follows several companies and sports teams stopping the use of brand names and logos that used ethnic stereotypes and caricatures. They have included food brands such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben’s changing names or packaging as well as Land O’ Lakes removing the image of a Native American woman from its packaging. Sports teams, including Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians and the National Football League’s Washington team, formerly the Redskins, are also dropping Native American imagery and names from their franchises.
Jeep has sold the Grand Cherokee since 1992. A new generation of the vehicle, including a three-row variant, is expected later this year. The company first started using the name Cherokee on vehicles in 1974, according to Car and Driver. After discontinuing the Cherokee name in 2002, it reintroduced a vehicle with that name in 2013.
At that time, a spokeswoman for the Cherokee Nation told The New York Times that the tribe had “encouraged and applauded schools and universities for dropping offensive mascots,” but “institutionally, the tribe does not have a stance on” the Jeep Cherokee. She said Jeep did not consult the Cherokee Nation before announcing the vehicle.

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com
IMO, those new, flashy things (as well as a few editions back) don't even deserve to be called Jeeps. They are virtual clones of most SUVs on market today, which is in direct conflict with the originality of the distinct Jeep look.

I still own a 1996 Jeep Classic, but my 1968 Jeepster Commando still has my heart.

Exactly why are so many teams and products, etc named for Native Americans anyway? The more I think on this subject, the weirder it seems to me.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
IMO, those new, flashy things (as well as a few editions back) don't even deserve to be called Jeeps. They are virtual clones of most SUVs on market today, which is in direct conflict with the originality of the distinct Jeep look.

I still own a 1996 Jeep Classic, but my 1968 Jeepster Commando still has my heart.

Exactly why are so many teams and products, etc named for Native Americans anyway? The more I think on this subject, the weirder it seems to me.
Sold my 99 XJ, wish I hadn't. That thing was a beast. Got it with 148k for 2k. Put 5k into lift, tires, rims, bumpers, sold it for 1200 with 205k Still would have drove it cross country minus that it got 15 mpg at best on 31" mud tires. The new "cherokee's" are not worthy of the name. The Grand Cherokee's were always soccer mom mobiles though a few did get upgraded and taken off road and looked pretty good. The only things I ever did to my XJ was the alternator (from going off road, thermostat and water pump, and grand cherokee seats. Seats were a nice upgrade after the seat frame of the drivers seat broke one day.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
My current ride. Yes, the tops are on in this weather. This is our second Wrangler which replaced a Miata. I wanted top down driving in the summer AND something that worked in Michigan winters. The Wrangler is perfect.

I wonder if cowboys are going to ask for the name to be changed?

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 5

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score

Chief of Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using tribe’s name on SUVs​

PUBLISHED MON, FEB 22 20212:32 PM ESTUPDATED MON, FEB 22 20213:47 PM EST

Michael Wayland@MIKEWAYLAND
KEY POINTS
  • Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs.
  • Jeep said it is “committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation” and Hoskin.
  • The company has used the Cherokee name for more than 45 years, including for two current SUVs.

Source: Fiat Chrysler
The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs, saying it “does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”
Jeep started using the Cherokee name more than 45 years ago, including on the brand’s top-selling Grand Cherokee SUV. It also offers a smaller SUV called the Cherokee, which was its third best-selling vehicle last year in the U.S.
“I think we’re in a day and age in this country where it’s time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general,” Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, said in a statement. “I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”
Hoskin reiterated those remarks, which were first reported by Car and Driver, in an interview Monday with CNBC. Hoskin doesn’t expect Jeep to immediately change the name of the vehicles, but he said the Cherokee Nation does not condone the use of the name.
H/O: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Fiat Chrysler
“My view is that a corporation shouldn’t be marketing its products using our name,” Hoskin said. “For the Jeep company, I think they look at it as something they conceived of decades ago, and I think they very much, in good faith, believe this is honoring the Cherokee people. I disagree, and we’ve had this name a bit longer than the Jeep company has. We’ve had it since before recorded history.”
In an emailed statement, Jeep said it is more than ever “committed to a respectful and open dialogue with Cherokee Nation Principal Chief Chuck Hoskin, Jr.” The company said its vehicle names “have been carefully chosen and nurtured over the years to honor and celebrate Native American people for their nobility, prowess, and pride.”
After being contacted by Car and Driver about Hoskin’s statement, several company officials reached out to the Cherokee Nation, according to Hoskin. He characterized the discussions as “good” and “genuine,” but they didn’t change his stance on the issue.

Hoskin said the best way to honor the Cherokee Nation is to learn about its culture and history and “have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness.” When asked whether the tribe would be open to a deal with Jeep to provide royalties or donations from the sale of the Cherokee vehicles, he said such a situation would be “problematic.”
“Financial incentives, things of that nature, to me, don’t remedy the underlying problem,” he said.
Hoskin later said he’s “most encouraged” by the company and its customers potentially even thinking about changing the names. “I’m hopeful over time that things get better.”
WATCH NOW
VIDEO03:20
Washington’s NFL team announces it will change name for 2020 season

Hoskin’s criticism follows several companies and sports teams stopping the use of brand names and logos that used ethnic stereotypes and caricatures. They have included food brands such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben’s changing names or packaging as well as Land O’ Lakes removing the image of a Native American woman from its packaging. Sports teams, including Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Indians and the National Football League’s Washington team, formerly the Redskins, are also dropping Native American imagery and names from their franchises.
Jeep has sold the Grand Cherokee since 1992. A new generation of the vehicle, including a three-row variant, is expected later this year. The company first started using the name Cherokee on vehicles in 1974, according to Car and Driver. After discontinuing the Cherokee name in 2002, it reintroduced a vehicle with that name in 2013.
At that time, a spokeswoman for the Cherokee Nation told The New York Times that the tribe had “encouraged and applauded schools and universities for dropping offensive mascots,” but “institutionally, the tribe does not have a stance on” the Jeep Cherokee. She said Jeep did not consult the Cherokee Nation before announcing the vehicle.
They want to cancel culture themselves out? OK...

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
My current ride. Yes, the tops are on in this weather. This is our second Wrangler which replaced a Miata. I wanted top down driving in the summer AND something that worked in Michigan winters. The Wrangler is perfect.

When you said topless...this wasn't what I had "envisioned"... :coffee:

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score

My dad had a Rubicon a few years ago. It had Detroit lockers. Jeeps have a lot of road noise, but, they're good off road wise. He also has a Liberty diesel with a heavy duty bull bar on it. You could hit a deer or two and not wipe out your front end.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
My dad had a Rubicon a few years ago. It had Detroit lockers. Jeeps have a lot of road noise, but, they're good off road wise. He also has a Liberty diesel with a heavy duty bull bar on it. You could hit a deer or two and not wipe out your front end.
I'd LOVE a Rubi, but I need the Sahara gears for highway. A Liberty with a Bull Bar sounds funny as hell!

Last edited:

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
I'd LOVE a Rubi, but I need the Sahara gears for highway. A Liberty with a Bull Bar sounds funny as hell!
Do you have a supercharger on yours? They're also under powered...but, they're still fun though. Most vehicles are under powered though. It's not just the Jeeps. I do like them...

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
Deer in Montana are a MAJOR problem over here...year round. Especially during the fall/winter seasons. I've wiped out at least four of my vehicles with those stupid beasts...any "hunter" that can't get their limit during hunting season is just...lazy af. All you have to do over here is wait until dusk, turn your headlights on, and drive down a highway. :coffee:

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com
I loved my Jeepster, but sold it about 9 years ago and bought a '65 Mustang, which I still have.

Naming towns or rivers and things like that are different, IMO. The road I grew up on is named 'Kickemuit', which is Wampanoag for 'at the great spring', and there is a river at the east end of the road with the same name. Much of the area including and surrounding my hometown were sites of King Philip's War. Roads in the area are Metacom, Sowams, Sachem, King Philip, Annawamscutt, Pokanoket, Narragansett (Hi Neighbor!), and many more.

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
I loved my Jeepster, but sold it about 9 years ago and bought a '65 Mustang, which I still have.

Naming towns or rivers and things like that are different, IMO. The road I grew up on is named 'Kickemuit', which is Wampanoag for 'at the great spring', and there is a river at the east end of the road with the same name. Much of the area including and surrounding my hometown were sites of King Philip's War. Roads in the area are Metacom, Sowams, Sachem, King Philip, Annawamscutt, Pokanoket, Narragansett (Hi Neighbor!), and many more.
What color is your Stang? I LOVE that body style!

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Do you have a supercharger on yours? They're also under powered...but, they're still fun though. Most vehicles are under powered though. It's not just the Jeeps. I do like them...
Nope. I have the new 2.0L turbo 4 with battery assist. So far, so good. I get about 22mpg around town.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
Nothing will ever replace the bullet proof, inline 4.0 six. Easy to work on, dependable as all can be, and can take any punishment you can give it.

johnlocke

Reaction score

A dark-horse contender for ‘most tyrannical bill of the year’ recently popped on my radar. I was reading through the text of another batch of bills, when I found this gem. As is often the case, the title of the bill does not accurately describe the purpose of the legislation: