Random Political Issues Mega Thread

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Still comes from Florida DOT which ultimately reports to the Governor’s office. Buck stops there. Even if it didn’t come as a direct edict from Desantis, it was still his administration of those that report to him that made the move.

If it wasn’t, Desantis could override them and get the pride lights back up there. What do you think the chances are of that happening?

That said, great move on doing the old blame Twitter logical fallacy. The group-thinking cheerleading squad will love you for that!
I wasn't blaming twitter itself for anything. I use it myself and think it can be a great news aggregator.

But in this case, it looked to me like someone was stating supposition as fact.

It will be interesting to find out the reasons and who made the call. It is state property.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

Providence Colt

Reaction score
I wasn't blaming twitter itself for anything. I use it myself and think it can be a great news aggregator.

But in this case, it looked to me like someone was stating supposition as fact.

It will be interesting to find out the reasons and who made the call. It is state property.

Someone could’ve stated that supposition over Facebook, television, radio, or messenger pigeon. It’s not an example of Twitter being good or bad. It simply is.

It’s a logical fallacy to say “Ah well Twitter!” whenever it’s news you don’t like and it’s all too common here. Your original post amplified that logical fallacy.

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone could’ve stated that supposition over Facebook, television, radio, or messenger pigeon. It’s not an example of Twitter being good or bad. It simply is.

It’s a logical fallacy to say “Ah well Twitter!” whenever it’s news you don’t like and it’s all too common here. Your original post amplified that logical fallacy.
Oh, I don't have a strong opinion of the news itself. The lights seem pretty harmless to me and I am not aware of a good reason to not have them. The pictures were great.

And yes, on any other media platform, it would be the same.

So you are right, I mistated in my original post. It's not an example of Twitter itself being good or bad. Twitter is just a platform.

But that tweet is a good example of a misleading one in my opinion.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Oh, I don't have a strong opinion of the news itself. The lights seem pretty harmless to me and I am not aware of a good reason to not have them. The pictures were great.

So you are right, I mistated in my original post. It's not an example of Twitter itself being good or bad. Twitter is just a platform.

Yes, and that kind of misleading thing runs rampant on Twitter.

It's like someone only reading a news headline and not reading the story.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Yes, and that kind of misleading thing runs rampant on Twitter.

It's like someone only reading a news headline and not reading the story.
Misleading news runs rampant everywhere. You routinely link from Newsmax, which has all sorts of misleading news, Twitter notwithstanding.

Providence Colt

Reaction score

All good. Sorry if I seemed short. Another very early morning working for me.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Misleading news runs rampant everywhere. You routinely link from Newsmax, which has all sorts of misleading news, Twitter notwithstanding.

Sorry, Newsmax has many different writers, some are friends and colleagues of mine and they are in no way misleading. Newsmax is not some BS conservative site only.

Read the articles and follow the links, you may actually get some edification.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Sorry, Newsmax has many different writers, some are friends and colleagues of mine and they are in no way misleading. Newsmax is not some BS conservative site only.

Read the articles and follow the links, you may actually get some edification.
LMAO. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

“in no way misleading”?

They just apologized in a settlement for a lawsuit for BEING misleading:

Right-wing cable outlet Newsmax settled a defamation suit brought by a Dominion Voting Systems executive Friday with an apology and admitted that allegations of voter fraud that it aired were untrue, the latest backtracking as Newsmax and other conservative outfits face legal retribution for amplifying former President Donald Trump’s baseless vote-rigging claims.

“On behalf of Newsmax, we would like to apologize for any harm that our reporting of the allegations against Dr. Coomer may have caused to Dr. Coomer and his family,” the network said in a statement posted to its website Friday.

Newxmax is a blatantly biased right-wing news “source” that tells low-information Trump worshippers what they want to hear.

johnlocke

Reaction score

“in no way misleading”?

Newxmax is a blatantly biased right-wing news “source” that tells low-information Trump worshippers what they want to hear.

Good luck with your blinders. They do not serve you well. I wouldn't give a shit but you consistently advocate policies that hurt people.

foobahl

Reaction score

“in no way misleading”?

the first statement is not supported by the article. Newsmax said they had no proof that the allegations were true, not that they were untrue. A small but meaningful difference.

Edit: Newsmax was misleading though. So you are correct on that point.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Good luck with your blinders. They do not serve you well. I wouldn't give a shit but you consistently advocate policies that hurt people.
The only one wearing blinders is the one that thinks Newsmax is “in no way misleading” when they’ve admitted to being exactly such.

Providence Colt

Reaction score
the first statement is not supported by the article. Newsmax said they had no proof that the allegations were true, not that they were untrue. A small but meaningful difference.

Edit: Newsmax was misleading though. So you are correct on that point.
I attempted to follow the link to the Newsmax full statement but it appears they’ve taken it down.

But johnlocke says they’re not at all misleading. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Providence Colt

Reaction score
Is it public property? Who paid for it? Public $? Do laws matter?

Or are you gonna be offended because DeSantis man bad?

Do you think these things through before you cut and paste tweets from your echo chamber?
All covered in the above thread in my discussion with UT.

Please read threads through before kicking and screaming.