Random TB news that doesn't warrant a thread

Has Tom turned into a phoney? He's doing the Subway commercials but says he eats very little bread.
That's actually the point of the commercial. He says he doesn't eat bread.

That's actually the point of the commercial. He says he doesn't eat bread.
I knew that you would ride up on your white horse and defend your God.
In my book, if you don't use a product, don't endorse it. Otherwise you are being a phoney.

Last edited:
Has Tom turned into a phoney? He's doing the Subway commercials but says he eats very little bread.
I think that he believes he's being clever; using Subway's dime to get the word out that he doesn't eat their bread, hoping people dig deeper, and essentially shilling TB12 diet in a Subway commercial.

I don't think he's actually being clever, mind you. I think it's a bad idea on his part (since Subway sales guaranteed went up from this, their marketing department wouldn't have approved the concept if it didn't test well) and I think it's a bad idea on their part (since in conversations like this when people are talking about it after the fact, Subway does NOT come across as "healthy" but rather as something to avoid, which is bad for their brand long term).

It's also shoveled on top of a fake fragrance commercial, which Brady doesn't do those either, so it doesn't make sense. If it was a fake Uggs commercial or a fake Tommy and Gronky sketch it would make more sense and might be more interesting to me, but as it stands, flawed concept, flawed execution, terrible idea on the part of everyone involved.

Now that TMobile commercial though (not the latest iteration, the original one which went up around the time of the SB), now that's one of the best commercials ever made imho. And it has just as much to do with reality as the Subway commercial does, or the video of him throwing the ball into the passing machine. I don't think it's being a "phony" to express something in a commercial which isn't in the bounds of reality, just like it wasn't Brett Favre being a phony when he threw a football over a mountain in a commercial. Caveat Emptor and all that. But again, I do think it's a bad commercial, and a bad idea all around.

I knew that you would ride up on your white horse and defend your God.
In my book, if you don't use a product, don't endorse it. Otherwise you are being a phone.
Whose riding up? Your comment was dumb. The commercial specifically stated Tom does not eat bread. He is actually being genuine which is what makes the ad funny.

Whose riding up? Your comment was dumb. The commercial specifically stated Tom does not eat bread. He is actually being genuine which is what makes the ad funny.
right...begging the question of why take $ to endorse it. g.o. had a good explanation.

He has done more than one Subway commercial. I don't think that he said that in each commercial.
But Subway thought it was a good idea to pay someone to say " I don't eat this shit, but it's really great".
It's still phoney on his part.

He has done more than one Subway commercial. I don't think that he said that in each commercial.
But Subway thought it was a good idea to pay someone to say " I don't eat this shit, but it's really great".
It's still phoney on his part.
I know. Still butt hurt over Brady winning without Bill.

From avocado ice cream to Subway.

The times they are a changin.

Back