Random Thoughts

I think Calvin is my spirit animal in comic strip character form. And Hobbes quit sniggering and go eat your Tuna sandwich.

Freaking tigers. WTF? 😂

FB_IMG_1667502530931.jpg

As i jusst wrote to one of my dearest and most beautiful of friends, physically and spiritually and intellectually, Chara, difficulties and all between us these words hold within them lessons for all of us, me and you included.

My sincere hope is that they are seen and taken to heart:

Once again I've been attempting to let my mind formulate the proper words to describe and say something and again they aren't complete. So again I'll just let it fly in hopes some of you read and remember the context of who my brother is and who is and hasn't been to me and my lack of interest in the concept of family just because we share blood.

A few weeks ago my brother Joey and his new wife Regina, both Christian in the most consistent and devout sense, both to tragic consequences and beauty equally showed up unexpectedly at my atheist asses new beautiful place after a drive from VT to New Hampshire. Not knowing, somehow if I would even let them in. Seriously, the lack of understanding of each other which stems from our 13 year age difference, him growing up with his mom, my intellectual closeness with our dad who Joey had issues with in a sad way and extremely different views of humanity, life and the world, his, typically Christian and extremely negative, mine which sees light, goodness and potential for greatness, we have always just been worlds apart.

When they arrived I of course open the door and welcomed them. It was very nice to meet Regina, a very nice woman, the likes of which my brother may not deserve but needs.

We sat on my porch as night fell over the lake and talked for hours, theological disagreements and all.

Before they left Joe asked if he could bring something in.

Having no idea if or what I needed in my new place he brought in 5 boxes of food, Nike sneakers, yes his vanity always has him buy name brand expensive stuff. 😂 ♥ ♥ ♥

Before they left they asked if it was OK to pray. Of course I said yes. We hugged each other in a circle and Regina spoke the 10 minute prayer as my brother added his amens. Regina in several ways thanked god for my brilliance and purpose that they will likely never understand but know they should be thankful for. I was in tears at that part and as I explained afterward that whether they understand it or not I'm fighting for all of us, all of humanity them include. I said amen and they left after deep and caring hugs. Something my brother and I have never shared.

Something changed that night. And that change came from dropping our bullshit and biases and learning and feeling the depths of each other and accepting there is beauty to be found in all of us if we just look and see clearly.

After they left as I was unpacking the boxes and putting food away I discovered a very nice laptop, in fact one with the processor, memory, operating system I had been looking for, I don't know how they knew it and they said they didn't know that my laptop, my primary device for my work had been stolen at the last place I lived at. They just thought, given my work I may need it and if not I could pass it along to someone who did.

Call it whatever you want but I was in tears at such an incredible kindness especially from my brother who always had had a ridiculous, to me, inferiority about me and my mind. The reason I say ridiculous is that I admire to the highest degree his painting abilities, abilities to run crews to incredible production and an endless drive to work physically no matter the pain or obstacles.

We are all different Joey, we all have different abilities which if cultivated and work hard on become huge assets in our lives and no ability we strive to perfect is worse or lower in value than another.

Since I moved here and for the first time ever he calls me every other day just to shoot the shit. We laugh as we reminisce about old employees we grew up with in our dad's painting company, what incredible characters and stories. We laugh about the calamities at work that seem to be a part of being a part of dads genes. 😂 And much more.

At this time when I've in no uncertain terms have told my late moms family to fuck off Joey is becoming the brother I've never had and it feels wonderful and in a way I never even knew I missed.

Today is his 63rd birthday.

Happy Birthday Joe. I love you my brother. ♥

And thank you Regina. ♥

Now stop growing old and don't die, this is pretty awesome, 😂

FB_IMG_1667656617375.jpg

Last edited:
Once again I've been attempting to let my mind formulate the proper words to describe and say something and again they aren't complete. So again I'll just let it fly in hopes some of you read and remember the context of who my brother is and who is and hasn't been to me and my lack of interest in the concept of family just because we share blood.

A few weeks ago my brother Joey and his new wife Regina, both Christian in the most consistent and devout sense, both to tragic consequences and beauty equally showed up unexpectedly at my atheist asses new beautiful place after a drive from VT to New Hampshire. Not knowing, somehow if I would even let them in. Seriously, the lack of understanding of each other which stems from our 13 year age difference, him growing up with his mom, my intellectual closeness with our dad who Joey had issues with in a sad way and extremely different views of humanity, life and the world, his, typically Christian and extremely negative, mine which sees light, goodness and potential for greatness, we have always just been worlds apart.

When they arrived I of course open the door and welcomed them. It was very nice to meet Regina, a very nice woman, the likes of which my brother may not deserve but needs.

We sat on my porch as night fell over the lake and talked for hours, theological disagreements and all.

Before they left Joe asked if he could bring something in.

Having no idea if or what I needed in my new place he brought in 5 boxes of food, Nike sneakers, yes his vanity always has him buy name brand expensive stuff. 😂 ♥ ♥ ♥

Before they left they asked if it was OK to pray. Of course I said yes. We hugged each other in a circle and Regina spoke the 10 minute prayer as my brother added his amens. Regina in several ways thanked god for my brilliance and purpose that they will likely never understand but know they should be thankful for. I was in tears at that part and as I explained afterward that whether they understand it or not I'm fighting for all of us, all of humanity them include. I said amen and they left after deep and caring hugs. Something my brother and I have never shared.

Something changed that night. And that change came from dropping our bullshit and biases and learning and feeling the depths of each other and accepting there is beauty to be found in all of us if we just look and see clearly.

After they left as I was unpacking the boxes and pointing food away I discovered a very nice laptop, in fact one with the processor, memory, operating system I had been looking for, I don't know how they knew it and they said they didn't know that my laptop, my primary device for my work had been stolen at the last place I lived at. They just thought, given my work I may need it and if not I could pass it along to someone who did.

Call it whatever you want but I was in tears at such an incredible kindness especially from my brother who always had had a ridiculous, to me, inferiority about me and my mind. The reason I say ridiculous is that I admire to the highest degree his painting abilities, abilities to run crews to incredible production and an endless drive to work physically no matter the pain or obstacles.

We are all different Joey, we all have different abilities which if cultivated and work hard on become huge assets in our lives and no ability we strive to perfect is worse or lower in value than another.

Since I moved here and for the first time ever he calls me every other day just to shoot the shit. We laugh as we reminisce about old employees we grew up with in our dad's painting company, what incredible characters and stories. We laugh about the calamities at work that seem to be a part of being a part of dads genes. 😂 And much more.

At this time when I've in no uncertain terms have told my late moms family to fuck off Joey is becoming the brother I've never had and it feels wonderful and in a way I never even knew I missed.

Today is his 63rd birthday.

Happy Birthday Joe. I love you my brother. ♥

And thank you Regina. ♥

Now stop growing old and don't die, this is pretty awesome, 😂

View attachment 13521
You have indeed been blessed by having an amazingly understanding Sister in law. I have seen this happen before. It sometimes takes someone from the outside to help mend the broken bridges.

“If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy, don’t hesitate. Give in to it. There are plenty of lives and whole towns destroyed or about to be. We are not wise, and not very often kind. And much can never be redeemed. Still, life has some possibility left. Perhaps this is its way of fighting back, that sometimes something happens better than all the riches or power in the world. It could be anything, but very likely you notice it in the instant when love begins. Anyway, that’s often the case. Anyway, whatever it is, don’t be afraid of its plenty. Joy is not made to be a crumb.”

‐‐ Mary Oliver (American, 1935-2019)

FB_IMG_1667736388787.jpg

Last night:

I've been told several times today that I've gone off the deep end.

Let me ask you this? What fun is it hanging out in the shallow end with 3 year-olds.

While there is some beauty and goodness to be found there its clear to me nothing good comes from living in the shallow end. Hell, even the 3 year olds way want out.

I will always take the deep dive in the deep end and when I hit the bottom its up to to the stars I go.

To infinity and beyond!!! 😂❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

image-107.jpg

Plan for this weekend, take the kids to great wolf lodge. Sounds like my six year old is getting her every 2-3 week cold. I don’t know why I plan and get excited for anything in winter when this always happens. Of course the six year old will give it to her sister and then more then likely mom and grandpa.

Plan for this weekend, take the kids to great wolf lodge. Sounds like my six year old is getting her every 2-3 week cold. I don’t know why I plan and get excited for anything in winter when this always happens. Of course the six year old will give it to her sister and then more then likely mom and grandpa.

Have a great time guys, negatives be damned. It's the joys in life which are important, they are what makes it worth living.

Wish I was sharing this experience with you.

A HS football team in FL played a team from Toronto. The FL team rolled up 96 points in the first half, playing every player on their roster. If they could they would have played the managers and cheerleaders.
The game was called after the first half.

A HS football team in FL played a team from Toronto. The FL team rolled up 96 points in the first half, playing every player on their roster. If they could they would have played the managers and cheerleaders.
The game was called after the first half.

Freaking beautiful all the way around.

Was the game called on account of some mercy rule? If so, screw that entire concept.

Sportsmanship has many beautiful principles but sportsmen often scream foul and injustice where there is objectively none by the same principles.

They the officials could leave a message lol

~Dee~

"We're sorry but this mailbox is full because dumbasses have moved on from finding value in messages left, be well and we hope you survive".

😂

Have a great time guys, negatives be damned. It's the joys in life which are important, they are what makes it worth living.

Wish I was sharing this experience with you.

Trip has been moved to May, saved a few dollars on the reservation and the outdoor section will be open.

This is indeed totally random.

It struck me just now (slow on the uptake here) while watching a Liberty Mutual commercial, that their Statue of Liberty Ad Campaign is sheer brilliance. Free Use of one of the worlds (actual, original) greatest Icons. Over and over again. With the patriotic note of Liberty and all that. Like I said, random.

From my friend Jim:

I met conductor Kent Nagano back in 1986, after a performance by Sacramento’s Camellia Symphony Orchestra, for which he was guest conductor.

Before I attended that performance, I heard a story about him. From Wikipedia: “In 1984, while assistant conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, he stepped in for Seiji Ozawa on short notice and without rehearsal, receiving acclaim from the audience, orchestra, and Boston Globe critic Richard Dyer for a ‘noble performance’ of Mahler's Ninth Symphony.”

When I chatted briefly with him I asked him how he did that, thinking he must have been pretty damned nervous. He replied: “I just did it.”

My father was a violinist in that orchestra, which permitted me to attend any rehearsals as well as an actual performance. The main work the orchestra was practicing for was the Symphony No. 8 in C Minor by Dmitri Shostakovich. I went to one of the rehearsals as well as to the performance.

It was really neat to observe Nagano’s working and interacting with the musicians. At certain points he would stop the practice and make a comment. One time, to give the musicians a better sense of where the music in that symphony was going, he said for them to try and remember the music from the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE TV series! At another time, to impart what Shostakovich must have been experiencing in his personal life at the time he was composing the symphony and which may have influenced it, he asked them to remember that Shostakovich was a man who was “broken by the KGB”.

I feel privileged to have had the experience of watching and listening to the work of a great conductor before he had begun to make a name for himself.

FB_IMG_1668019648507.jpg

From my friend Jim:

I met conductor Kent Nagano back in 1986, after a performance by Sacramento’s Camellia Symphony Orchestra, for which he was guest conductor.

Before I attended that performance, I heard a story about him. From Wikipedia: “In 1984, while assistant conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, he stepped in for Seiji Ozawa on short notice and without rehearsal, receiving acclaim from the audience, orchestra, and Boston Globe critic Richard Dyer for a ‘noble performance’ of Mahler's Ninth Symphony.”

When I chatted briefly with him I asked him how he did that, thinking he must have been pretty damned nervous. He replied: “I just did it.”

My father was a violinist in that orchestra, which permitted me to attend any rehearsals as well as an actual performance. The main work the orchestra was practicing for was the Symphony No. 8 in C Minor by Dmitri Shostakovich. I went to one of the rehearsals as well as to the performance.

It was really neat to observe Nagano’s working and interacting with the musicians. At certain points he would stop the practice and make a comment. One time, to give the musicians a better sense of where the music in that symphony was going, he said for them to try and remember the music from the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE TV series! At another time, to impart what Shostakovich must have been experiencing in his personal life at the time he was composing the symphony and which may have influenced it, he asked them to remember that Shostakovich was a man who was “broken by the KGB”.

I feel privileged to have had the experience of watching and listening to the work of a great conductor before he had begun to make a name for himself.

View attachment 13640
You have been fortunate, for sure, having had those experiences. I've been a lifelong rock, R&B, country rock and folk fan, but I've had an understated fascination with symphony music that I've never explored. I might now. Thanks!

Back