Random Thoughts

16-22.jpgz

This recent West Point graduate is Alex Idrache. He grew up in a slum in Haiti, and he tells the story of how U.S. soldiers were deployed to his neighborhood following the earthquake there several years ago. He says their presence was the first experience of "hope" he recalls in his childhood.

He remembers looking at his dad and asking him who the people were that were helping. His dad looked at him and said, "They are American soldiers." He looked back at his father and said, "One day, I will be an American soldier." His father knew the situation in Haiti was unworkable and tried for several years to obtain a visa to come to the United States. After being denied for several years, he was finally granted a spot in Baltimore. He purchased a ticket on a boat for his family and left Haiti. They arrived and Alex, remembering his dream in the slum several years prior, looked for a way to join the U.S. Army. He found a national guard program that allowed him to join the Army in exchange for citizenship. He didn't hesitate.

After a series of fortunate occurrences, he was given one of the few spots at West Point for prior enlisted soldiers. Despite his severe lack of formal education, he graduated as an honor graduate (top 5% physically and academically) and the top student in the Physics Department. This picture was taken just prior to tossing his hat in the air, the realization of a dream that began 10 years ago in a slum in Port-au-Prince.
🇺🇸
👊🏼
🔥

Hollywood King of Cool, Steve McQueen, and the beautiful Jacqueline Bisset take a break on the set of "Bullitt" (Peter Yates, 1968).

Have often watched Steve in the great old western show "Wanted Dead Or Alive". And "Bullit" to this day has imo still the greatest car chase seen in the history of film.

16-22.jpg

You have permission to not be thankful this Thanksgiving

CNN told me that we have permission to not be thankful this year. Sorry but I respectfully disagree.

Are there problems and troubles? Absolutely but none this country hasn't overcome greater ones before. I think of my late parents

who lived through the Great Depression and the stories they told of it as well as the existential threat of World War 2.

Their response would have been, " that's life, deal with it." or or " go in the bathroom, wash your face, put some makeup on ( to my sisters) and come back out here”. In other words, suck it up buttercup and make the best of it.....

Yes there is a pandemic that has affected one of out every 30 Americans and killed over 250,000 with tragically more expected to pass away until we get it under control.

Those who have lost a loved one certainly are suffering this year and the holiday will be more somber with an empty place at the table and they obviously have right to be angry and less thankful in light of how the pandemic was handled.

Be thankful if you have food, a roof over your head and a job. Is this year more stressful than in the past? Without a doubt but it is time to take a deep breath. The table may not be as full with older relatives or those at higher risk not present but it is a short term sacrifice to make sure those relatives are there to celebrate in the future. We want them there for weddings and holidays in 2021 and beyond so we Facetime them or Zoom them this year.

Have we just endured one of the most contentious Presidential elections in recent memory? Absolutely.

But the strength of the United States is not its politicians ( thank G-d) but its people and our resiliency. To quote the late Charlie Daniels in his song, In America, “this old lady may have stumbled, but she ain’t never fell”.

One Presidential candidate, I cannot remember if it was Alf Landon or Wendell Wilkie described America as a tapestry with each one of us a thread. The strength comes when we all act together to support each other. This year, that truism is readily apparent as we see both the good in charitable acts and the not so good with toilet paper hoarders and businesses that are gouging and profiteering by

tripling the price of gloves and gowns and PPE. There will always be those act that way and as a believer in karma, they will get theirs in the end. The good outnumber the others are hopefully always will.

On the whole we are taking actions to stem the virus and develop a vaccine to get us back to normal.....It won't happen overnight but we will get there. The paradigm may shift with a “new normal” but we will adapt, and overcome.

Be thankful not only for yourself but for others, the nurses and physicians on the hospital floor, the truckers getting the needed supplies cross country, the UPS/FedEx and Amazon drivers going in and out of offices daily, the clerks at supermarkets, WaWa, Dunkin, even Starbucks and others who are taking a risk (even with PPE) by doing their job…. They accept the risk knowing they are essential to getting the economy moving….

Are things perfect? No, but they never are ideal. Four hundred years ago, a bunch of Pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts and after a year in which half of them died, they gave thanks to be alive, in a feast we commemorate this week……

So, sorry CNN, keep your permission, I am thankful this year for family, friends, the country and everything.. and here’s to hoping we can be more hopeful in 2021.

And please pass the Cranberry sauce….

Thanksgiving 2020
MKK

Just posted from my friend:

I began this drawing on September 15th and did a little here and there along with other drawings and today The Rolling Stones group portrait is finally finished!I have to say it was the most challenging drawing of my life. I hope you enjoy it!

16-22.jpg

I began this drawing on September 15th and did a little here and there along with other drawings and today The Rolling Stones group portrait is finally finished!I have to say it was the most challenging drawing of my life. I hope you enjoy it!

View attachment 693
Sounds like he had mixed emotions...

View attachment 693
That is some fantastic work right there. I don't know how you blend your shading, but it looks tremendous. The texture of the leather!!!!

Since you are obviously a Stones fan I wonder if you've seen the Bill Wyman documentary "The Quiet One" on Hulu. I loved it.

That is some fantastic work right there. I don't know how you blend your shading, but it looks tremendous. The texture of the leather!!!!

Since you are obviously a Stones fan I wonder if you've seen the Bill Wyman documentary "The Quiet One" on Hulu. I loved it.

I haven't seen it but now that have mentioned it I'll watch it tonight. Thank you.

Back