Random Thoughts

If the pitch isn't bad, I could actually get on a roof even with my fear of heights. My roof pitch is tall, I will probably never get on it. I did help roof a friends parents house a little bit one year. They didn't have a steep pitched roof so it wasn't bad.
I have a hip roof colonial and with my fear of heights I would not go up there on a bet.

If the pitch isn't bad, I could actually get on a roof even with my fear of heights. My roof pitch is tall, I will probably never get on it. I did help roof a friends parents house a little bit one year. They didn't have a steep pitched roof so it wasn't bad.

I have a hip roof colonial and with my fear of heights I would not go up there on a bet.
The pitch and height fear goes away really quickly. The work involved with manually carrying up the shingles on ladders absolutely sucks. Dragging the nail magnet was easy.

The pitch and height fear goes away really quickly. The work involved with manually carrying up the shingles on ladders absolutely sucks. Dragging the nail magnet was easy.
I did chimney sweeping with my sister's boyfriend when I was a young man. It was terrifying. When they did our roof they had a nifty machine that just lifted the shingles to the roof line where the workers nabbed them.

I did chimney sweeping with my sister's boyfriend when I was a young man. It was terrifying. When they did our roof they had a nifty machine that just lifted the shingles to the roof line where the workers nabbed them.
I see those nifty machines loading the shingles on the roofs today and I always SMH and chuckle. We did 3 story apartment buildings that entire summer. I was the "conveyor". No worries, it built me. So did bailing hay other summers.

The roofers at my place didn't have to carry shingles up by hand. They had a boom truck delivering them place them on the roof.

I see those nifty machines loading the shingles on the roofs today and I always SMH and chuckle. We did 3 story apartment buildings that entire summer. I was the "conveyor". No worries, it built me. So did bailing hay other summers.
I bailed hay too to make money as a teenager. Builds character and muscles!

I bailed hay too to make money as a teenager. Builds character and muscles!
Hot, sweaty, thirsty, sun burned work.

I agree. Builds everything.

I hated it, but it was good $ (then) and included bed and food.

I know every street and venue in that ad. Is Detroit rough? Very much so. Is Detroit amazing/beautiful/scary/fun/honest/tough? Also, very much so.

The family and I will spend a week this July in Boston. They love it there. We will eat in the North End (Bourque's place and Regina's for sure), we will visit my Aunt on the cape, we will walk the Freedom Trail and have a few pints along the way, Rockport for lobster and they will see Hampton Beach for the first time (and they will laugh at my memories). My heart is from Lowell and I am an a Masshole for sure.

But Detroit and Michigan has been HOME since 1991.

A city that played such a massive role in defeating the Nazis will always get my vote.

I haven't roofed my place, but I did install a chimney liner myself and I still go up there to clean the chimney for my wood stove. It does not bother me but my family hates me doing it because they think I'm too old. I'm not and if I can manage carrying and putting up a 35 foot ladder I can manage working on a roof.

Rode over 14 miles yesterday and today on my bike (5.4 yesterday and 8.7 today). My knees are feeling it.

Took this pic earlier today and started thinking about it, This is Frankie, at least 15 years old (can't remember anymore) I greet him all the time.
Anyway, his expression,,,realizing it's pretty much identical to mine as I watch what is going on..

Attachments

• 20210616_115255.jpg
    20210616_115255.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Took this pic earlier today and started thinking about it, This is Frankie, at least 15 years old (can't remember anymore) I greet him all the time.
Anyway, his expression,,,realizing it's pretty much identical to mine as I watch what is going on..

Pretty cool guy, that Frankie. :toast:

Back