Random Thoughts

I'm doing it mostly knowing my wife's car isn't going to last a long time without potential for major money repairs. This way, as long as nothing happens in the next year or less, we might only have a single car payment. While her car only has 74k miles, it is still a 2009 Nissan Rogue that we have already spent probably about 1500-2500 on in the last few years on. Granted, we no longer take it to the dealer for service, which reduces repair costs, a major money repair could be deemed not financially worth it.

I'm doing it mostly knowing my wife's car isn't going to last a long time without potential for major money repairs. This way, as long as nothing happens in the next year or less, we might only have a single car payment. While her car only has 74k miles, it is still a 2009 Nissan Rogue that we have already spent probably about 1500-2500 on in the last few years on. Granted, we no longer take it to the dealer for service, which reduces repair costs, a major money repair could be deemed not financially worth it.
Which engine?

Happy Anniversary.

We crossed 26 years a week ago. Secret?

Love
Common goals/aspirations
Compromise

Also, as is my case, get flipping lucky. I won the wife lottery.

Which engine?
No idea, the 4 cylinder one. Speaking of the engine, it needs it annual oil change. IT has been driven very little, in fact, it isn't even to the miles for the oil change yet, 2,000 miles away still. I'm starting to drive it to work when she doesn't work to put miles on it over my car. It is small so I don't fit comfortably in it like I do my car.

No idea, the 4 cylinder one. Speaking of the engine, it needs it annual oil change. IT has been driven very little, in fact, it isn't even to the miles for the oil change yet, 2,000 miles away still. I'm starting to drive it to work when she doesn't work to put miles on it over my car. It is small so I don't fit comfortably in it like I do my car.
Usually reliable engines from Nissan. Absolutely give that car some exorcize. Sometimes sitting is harder on cars that we think. Seals dry up, sludge hardens etc.

Reliable, but still as the years go on, repairs will start to happen. We have a dollar figure that we won't do a repair (around 1,000 dollar repair or so will be thought of do we repair it or replace the car). The down side is that she got the base model when she got it brand new. It didn't keep the value like other cars because they were mass produced and not popular. AS long as we don't get a major repair, we plan on keeping it for a few more years.

Reliable, but still as the years go on, repairs will start to happen. We have a dollar figure that we won't do a repair (around 1,000 dollar repair or so will be thought of do we repair it or replace the car). The down side is that she got the base model when she got it brand new. It didn't keep the value like other cars because they were mass produced and not popular. AS long as we don't get a major repair, we plan on keeping it for a few more years.
I tend to drive the wheels off our cars. We have a 2008 Pontiac G6 with 277k on it that our eldest drives it. It looks like shit, but the maintenance is always done, the brakes are new (I did them) and he got a set of new tires for his birthday. Keeping it until it croaks or he moves out and takes it with him. We have a 2010 Chevy Impala with 165k on it that the middle one drives. Same as the G6 except he only needed two tires. Keeping it until it croaks or he moves out and takes it with him. My wife drives a 2018 Accord with 74k on it. Bought that car with every intention of it going 300k plus. We have replaced the tires once and nothing else aside from oils changes and one trans fluid replacement. Our daughter and I trade back and forth with the 2013 X1 (80k) and the 2019 Wrangler mainly because I take the hard top off the Jeep in late spring thru fall so some days it can't be driven (like the last few days).

If you have been doing the maintenance on that Nissan (I bet you have) and at that low amount of miles, I would be keeping it. Teh cost to replace is huge.

It gets oil changes when needed (1-2 times a year with as low as it is driven). It gets any repair work done. No idiot lights but will need brakes sooner rather then later. My wife will get my Equinox when I get something new. If we just get me something new and not trade in her car, we may keep it, who knows. A back up vehicle is nice to have for emergency purposes (or if someone has an emergency and needs a vehicle). I know if something happens to my dad, I will keep whatever vehicles he has minus the truck (he has an 01 ram with 108k miles but has many issues, 21 Corolla, and a 17 suzuki motorcycle). Her parents have already said if they get a new truck, they are giving us theirs (04 nissan frontier). Once I have a third vehicle, I will never be without one again. I win the lottery, I'm buying my wife a new Rogue, A four door wrangler for me, a F150 crew cab for me, a motorcycle for me, and then a full size conversion van for vacation. Come on lottery.

Miles don't bother me, but the repair cost of newer cars do. My 1999 Cherokee was awesome. Bought it with 148k, sold it with 205k. Replaced the alternator once but bearing was going out when I sold it, water pump and thermostat once, brakes too many times to count, it had a power steering line pin hole leak when I sold it. Most things I did myself, the only thing I didn't beside lift stuff was I had a garage flush the heater core (they flushed it 10x) to get great heat.

It gets oil changes when needed (1-2 times a year with as low as it is driven). It gets any repair work done. No idiot lights but will need brakes sooner rather then later. My wife will get my Equinox when I get something new. If we just get me something new and not trade in her car, we may keep it, who knows. A back up vehicle is nice to have for emergency purposes (or if someone has an emergency and needs a vehicle). I know if something happens to my dad, I will keep whatever vehicles he has minus the truck (he has an 01 ram with 108k miles but has many issues, 21 Corolla, and a 17 suzuki motorcycle). Her parents have already said if they get a new truck, they are giving us theirs (04 nissan frontier). Once I have a third vehicle, I will never be without one again. I win the lottery, I'm buying my wife a new Rogue, A four door wrangler for me, a F150 crew cab for me, a motorcycle for me, and then a full size conversion van for vacation. Come on lottery.
Sounds like a plan!

Especially winning the lottery. If I win, I am telling no one except the wife. I will quietly retire and move to my new island. Some friends/family will get a postcard with their annual flight information. 🏖️⛱️🍹

Well, it has taken a 8 hole (so far) playoff, but my wife and daughter are official finger nail chewing golf fans!

At least for the moment.

A few weeks ago a coworker said he wanted to replace his current, almost 20 year old ranger. I went to work to find one. Finding a Ford ranger with descent miles, descent shape, for a descent price is pretty hard. Last night he mentioned he was open to an f150, by the end of my shift, I had emailed him eight options at three dealerships.

Had Sarah and I been engaged a few years earlier, chances are we would've bought her grandma's house on her moms side for a family rate. While we are not actively looking, we have said if the perfect house pops up, we would move. That being said, Sarah's moms was told that her grandma's house that her parents sold in 2012 might be going up for sale soon. Doing our homework, I already know how big it is (600 more sq ft then we have now), how much property taxes are (the same we pay now) currently, what might need done on the house in the long run, and next week a friend who is a realtor is going to come over and give us a general idea what ours could be listed for. That way if and when it comes up for sale, we can jump on it. It is in a bigger subdivision just a mile from Sarah's parents, a bigger yard (1/3 of an acre versus 1/5).

They are up, but not terrible. Our house was purchased at 129,900 in 2013, was appraised two years ago before new fridge, bigger deck (with electric), electric to shed, and new roof at 145k, I would guess it is near 160-170 now. Find out what the friend thinks. She said the house I mentioned could be 180-200, it might need updating over time. As long as it is livable, we can update things as it will be out forever house unless we move to my wife's parents place way down the road. I know her mom and her brother sold it for 125k in 2012. Home values might be up a little more then normal, but my subdivision and the one the other house is in is very desirable. My house will be sale pending in two days if priced accordingly.

House across the street from me was listed two days ago. 3 bed/2 bath, 1900 sq ft, basement with two stories above ground. Listed at 220k, pending already.

Back