Randon Post-Draft Musings

Mallet can still be traded for a pick next year, somebody needs a QB out there. Mallet is two year closer to starting in Texas than savage or the two fools on the roster - Yates?!?!? And some other fool.

First of all, I count Armstead for absolutely nothing. Secondly, I'd like Vince in there on first downs still, base packages. Take him out in sub packages, which is what they'll be in most of the time anyway.
I hope Buchanan & Moore step up. So jones & Nink don't have to play almost 95% of the snaps again. I loved what I read about Moore so far. Explosive first step it was against D2 competition.

Very satisfied with this draft also, it sucks hearing The Beetle from (98.5) whine about the Garoppolo pick. I think he truly believes Brady can and will play until he's 45 years old.

What I, myself would like to see and this is nothing against Brady, but have another 1 or 2 more good years and then trade him for a stock load of high draft picks. I know their are teams out their that would make a stooped move like that and give a lot back in picks.

Oh crap, Gary Tanguay & Bob Neumeier are in my head. They both think Brady will be traded in the next few seasons as I believe

Fun thread, guys. Always glad to start a discussion.

The amusing thing is, Felger and Mazz are the only two who actually seemed to like the draft as of Friday. I imagine they'll stay on that track today since it's a) Contrarian, b) Felger was right about them taking a QB early and c) Garappolo was on their dart board draft board.

Anyone bit the bullet and listen to these guys to find out if Tommy was correct?

I listened to Holley and agreed with most everything he said. His time writing Patriot Reign gives him unique perspective and he's one of the few non over-reactionary media members. For instance, when Dale was complaining about Easly's knees keeping him out of the starting lineup, Holley set him straight by calmly pointing out that Wilfork and Warren began as backups as well.

The funniest is when someone says something like, "I wish they had taken more of a sure thing, like Tuitt!" Really? Because you've heard of him and he was mocked to the Pats a few times, that suddenly makes him a sure thing? Have you actually watched him play? Maybe if this was 2002, but Tuitt is not a first round DL for what Bill is trying to build now. Not even close. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Easly is more likely to hone out a role on this team this year than Tuitt would have been even if you factor in the knee issues. I know who I'd rather have on the field on 3rd and 8. And even if Easly only gets back to 70% of what we see on the tape (a generous assumption given that one of his knee injuries was already in the past at that point) that is still more than Tuitt is likely to amount to.

Nobody is saying 'cut Brady'. But let's be real, folks. He's a B+ now where he used to be an A+. Most teams in the NFL would kill for a B+, who's strength is reading defenses, knowing the offense inside and out, and being an ultimate competitor.

Great posts, Tommy. It looks like I kicked off a good ol' Brady Bashing (relatively speaking, of course :)) It is good to see that most people can see the trend without getting upset about it.

I know I said I hate the "Brady Window" but I'll use it in this context: The window on Brady's Super Bowl Window is already closed.

No, I'm not saying there is no way that Tom will ever get another ring. I'm saying that B+ Tom Brady is no longer so much better than the other guy to make up for a roster deficiency. You get mega-value over the course of an entire season - and a couple wins in your back pocket - but once you get to the playoffs, B+ Brady is in line with the guys who are taking the field from the second round on.

That is really what I was going for with my 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 comment. I personally don't think Matt Ryan is anywhere near as good as Brady, but I don't think any of those playoffs change with the swap.

Since there is no great advantage to having Brady from the AFCCG on, you might as well build as if there was no window consideration at all.

Picking up a kid with measurables and leadership ability (And if you didn't watch Eastern Illinois last year, he really was the whole damned team), not much of an ego and a willingness to learn? Yeah, you do that when your starting QB is 37. It's smart business. How to Build a Team 101.

Yup. Look at the contracts backup QBs signed this year. You are talking about guys who will make more this year than JG's entire contract will be.

Would I rather get an immediate impact guy and be promised that Tom's eventual replacement is guaranteed? Of course! Who wouldn't?

But quality QB isn't assured, particularly when you are drafting at the end of the round, it is harvested. For anyone who wants to make the "too early" case, my rebuttal would be:

* You get two years to determine whether JG is the heir apparent and plenty of time to reverse course if not. This may not be valuable to the fan, but it carries a great deal of weight with the team.

* If he is the heir apparent, you have an NFL caliber starter for $4mm over four years and then you get to sign him at a depressed value because no one else in the league knows how good he is. Even if you give him the max market value, it is still below true value.

I hated the Mallett selection. Wanted nothing to do with him. So it may seem like I'm going back on that, but this is a much different situation. First, I think this kid looks like a better fit for this offense. More importantly, though, is the fact that Mallett had no chance whatsoever to replace Tommy unless he Tonya Hardinged him. As much as Brady talks a good game, he ain't playing beyond four years unless NE has no other options.

In fact, if one of these new hogs shines in camp I wouldn't be surprised if Mankins gets the Turk this season, and offset the $8 mil cap hit with a 6th rounders salary.

I haven't checked recently, but I recall that Mankins' cap hit actually rises this year if he is cut. Unless they get some relief, he'll stick around no matter how much his play has slipped. That's why I'm eyeballing next year.

Personally I really like the draft for the picks for the trenches. Easley will take some time to burn in but I loved him at Fla. and his talent was undeniable. ACLs just ain't what they used to be. Stork will likely earn the starter's spot before wk.1 at C. Wendell will be cheap insurance. Connolly and Mankins were both sent msgs loud and clear.

Yup. Back when my kids were making me watch the Denver loss every day - thank God Comcast removed the replay from on demand - I sent Tina an email that said "If I'm the Pats, I'm looking at an all LOS draft - all DL, OL and TE." I LOVE that they loaded up on OL and that they have a new ball of razor wire on the DL. Every fan knows you win games on the LOS, yet they still bitch when you invest in the OL in lieu of snagging an exciting receiver.

Os!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HSANDERSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! wuv

If BB had wanted to keep a base 3-4 2 gap defense he would have replaced Seymour at some point IMO.

I'm not sure I agree 100%, simply for the fact that Seymours don't come around that often. You could even look at Brace's selection as a sign that back in 2009 NE was still completely committed to the old style. IMO, it was only in the past 2-3 years that the defense has undergone a shift.

What I, myself would like to see and this is nothing against Brady, but have another 1 or 2 more good years and then trade him for a stock load of high draft picks.

I doubt this would happen, but I would have no problem at all with it. One of the benefits of just being a laundry rooter. :)

Wouldn't shock me to see Big Vince relegated to 3rd-and-short and goalline situations.

Unless Vince's leg is shot, that would surprise me. I think Bill is just hoping to get to the point where no DT is relied on for more than 65% of the snaps. Start bringing the terror in the 4th quarter!

First of all, I count Armstead for absolutely nothing.

You may not, but the tea leaves suggest that the Patriots did last year... and continue to do so. :wink:

I almost think Easley has a better chance to be ready than big Vince. The advancements on ACL are huge, not as big an improvement in Achilles repair for a big man.

Mankins is beat, I beleive he played on two injured knees but his hit is huge this year with 8 million left on his hit, that with an added cost of the replacement means he not going any place this season unless he fails a physical.

Brady my be a B+ these days but BB is smart, Tommy was a C+ QB winning SB in 2001, with an A defense, and as Tommy trends down the C defense of two years ago is slowly morphing back into an A defense, with ball possession becoming the key thought as opposed to quick kill of 2007.

He's similar to Sapp in some ways, but Sapp had a deadly bull rush, among other things and I really haven't seen Easley do that much, but in terms of being able to shoot a gap--- most definitely. Country strong and cat quick.

We need bringing a little chaos to be a bigger part of our D to prevent half-assed QBs from having career games against us because we let them get a little too comfortable in the pocket and suddenly they get the idea they aren't all that shitty.

Easley brings the chaos.

I'm a little old school, so I'd go with the Bard on this one.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war​

Easley brings the "havoc".

I wonder how much of Brady's grade of being a B+ has to do with the O-line completely failing In the recent playoff losses and also lack of overall talent surrounding him on offense as well. not including gronk becuz he hasn't really got to play much in the post season

I wonder how much of Brady's grade of being a B+ has to do with the O-line completely failing In the recent playoff losses and also lack of overall talent surrounding him on offense as well. not including gronk becuz he hasn't really got to play much in the post season
Everyone besides the RBs were injuried last year. Amendola was playing on one leg. All 3 Rookies WR were injuried. The entire offense revolved around the RB's & Edelman to make plays.

Everyone besides the RBs were injuried last year. Amendola was playing on one leg. All 3 Rookies WR were injuried. The entire offense revolved around the RB's & Edelman to make plays.

Last year brady completely carried the team on his back with help from a decent defense and a run game that came on late.

Once we made it to the AFCC our best defensive player got injured which opened a flood gate for the broncos to exploit and our offense was putrid including brady. But how well can any QB play when he's being harassed the entire game and also had a couple free rushers a few times sack him.

And his weapons we're 3 slot WR's 1 was injured and a 3rd string blocking TE?

He missed some throws and didn't play well but my point is how could he?

According to Spotrac, Mankins' 2014 cap hit, if kept, is $10.5M, and the dead money is $8M if he's traded/released before June 1st. If I'm reading that correctly, if the Pats trade him during Camp, say, the immediate (net) cap savings is $2M, and they'll have the option (it being after June 1st) of spreading his dead money over the two seasons ($4M per).

So, I'd expect him to continue with the team into Camp, but not necessarily any further.

Last year brady completely carried the team on his back with help from a decent defense and a run game that came on late. Once we made it to the AFCC our best defensive player got injured which opened a flood gate for the broncos to exploit and our offense was putrid including brady. But how well can any QB play when he's being harassed the entire game and also had a couple free rushers a few times sack him. And his weapons we're 3 slot WR's 1 was injured and a 3rd string blocking TE? He missed some throws and didn't play well but my point is how could he?
I agree O-line couldn't protect him worth shit. The only pass catcher they really had was Edelman . Blount was a huge part of the offense the final 4 games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2001.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2003.htm

Find me the hall of famers in those rosters of bums. I see one. And he won two titles with less talent than he had last year.

So no, sorry, "He had to do everything" doesn't fly with me anymore. Who were the hall of famers Russell Wilson had as far as talent last year? Marshawn Lynch is a good player. But who else?

Brady my be a B+ these days but BB is smart, Tommy was a C+ QB winning SB in 2001, with an A defense, and as Tommy trends down the C defense of two years ago is slowly morphing back into an A defense, with ball possession becoming the key thought as opposed to quick kill of 2007.

I'll say that SB Brady was B+, but was A in the Playoffs. Brady lately has been A+, but C+ in the playoffs. Brady's game is short, quick and accurate passes. What little long ball he gone. At his best he was maybe 30% airing it out. He's maybe 10% now.

Find me the hall of famers in those rosters of bums. I see one. And he won two titles with less talent than he had last year.

So no, sorry, "He had to do everything" doesn't fly with me anymore. Who were the hall of famers Russell Wilson had as far as talent last year? Marshawn Lynch is a good player. But who else?

I didn't say anything about needing hall of famers around him. I said along with him his entire o-line crapped out along with his 3 slot WR's and 1 3rd string TE. Hell had the offensive line showed up we probably had a chance in that game even with that WR core.

Those 2 teams you pointed out to me they had something the 2013 version didn't. A line that could block on offense. And a line that could get to the QB on Defense. Once talib went out the whole defense went out with it.

And to answer your second question about the Russell Wilson. He didnt have very much talent on offense but he did have some. Arguably more then brady did during the AFCC. At least his line held up. But with the defense he had that offense didn't have to do much anyway. They're first 3 red zone trips we're held to field goals it wasn't until harvin busted that TD return to open the second half that the game got out of hand...

Oh and to say he had less talent in the first three Super Bowls then he did last year isn't very accurate. Comparing Deion branch in his prime, troy brown and david givins when he was young to Austin collie and a broken Danny amendola is laughable.

One last edit: I'm not saying that those early SB's we're offensive players were super stars or anything not by a long shot. But compared to last year? Eh definitely more talented then the Receivers we had in that game.

Picking some Patriots-based winners and losers from the team's nine-player 2014 draft class:

Winners
D.J. Williams -- The fourth-year tight end from Arkansas has a great opportunity after the team didn't draft any players at the position, as he currently sits atop the depth chart at the "F" (a.k.a. the "move" tight end). That could change if the team makes a move for ...

Dustin Keller -- The veteran free agent visited the club last week and with the Patriots not drafting a tight end, perhaps they revisit the possibility of signing Keller.

2013 class of receivers -- This year was a deep for receivers, but the Patriots obviously still believe in Aaron Dobson (2013 second round), Josh Boyce (2013 fourth round) and Kenbrell Thompkins (2013 undrafted signing) because they didn't draft at the position until the seventh round with Michigan's Jeremy Gallon.

Steve Beauharnais -- The 2013 seventh-round draft choice from Rutgers who played in just two games last season looks primed to bump up the depth chart as a reserve after the team didn't draft a linebacker.

Duron Harmon -- After serving as the No. 3 safety last season, he's primed to become the No. 2 after Steve Gregory's release and the Patriots not drafting a defensive back until Georgia Tech's Jemea Thomas in the late sixth round (206th overall).

Losers
Ryan Wendell/Dan Connolly -- The team's starting center/right guard combination faces increased competition from Bryan Stork (center) and Jon Halapio (sixth round). Wendell and Connolly were valued highly by former line coach Dante Scarnecchia, and now they have to prove their worth to new coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

Jake Bequette -- The 2012 third-round pick has yet to emerge and the Patriots seem committed to giving 2014 sixth-round defensive end Zach Moore some time to develop behind the scenes. There's only so many spots for backup developmental types.

Trader Bill -- In the 14 drafts prior to 2014, Bill Belichick swung 52 draft-day trades. But he only made one this year as there weren't as many enticing offers as the norm.

Danny Aiken -- The incumbent long snapper will be facing double-barreled competition for the job, with the previously signed Charley Hughlett and then an agreement in principle with undrafted free agent Tyler Ott, who was considered one of the top snappers in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4762847/picking-some-patriots-winners-losers

So it appears the change of OL coaches is significantly altering Mike Reiss's view of Wendell, Connolly and perhaps Mankins.

I'll say that SB Brady was B+, but was A in the Playoffs. Brady lately has been A+, but C+ in the playoffs. Brady's game is short, quick and accurate passes. What little long ball he gone. At his best he was maybe 30% airing it out. He's maybe 10% now.

2001 Brady was average, nothing special but the defense was balls.

2003 Brady was above average and teh defense was still the nuts

2004 Brady was above average and the defense was still a woody.

2007 Brady was the mast that any sail could be sailed but the front line was less than expected not allowing the "love you long time" threats to make plays - this was the exposing of the weakness in the Patriots armor

after the knee injury brady was still A great QB who would soon begin slipping out of elite as his defense goes from learning the game to controlling the game.

A BB defense is LB centered, always was, always will be. This group if helthy seems to be athletic anough to fill the roles BB likes. The DL with Jones and Nick,have steady play, one is ready to break out while the other is consistent. The DT's are all over the place but we learned last year a couple of undrafted rookies could get you to the AFCCG so the return of the big guys Kelley and vince with the new should solidify the inside to allow the LB's to create chaos.

The DB's added Revis and Browner, has McCourty and is lacking the thumper but I think that position is now a luxury but not needed with a Cover LB like Collins and can be morphed into a 4 CB backfield with Logan Ryan. In a league of Big WR's and TE's that can run and catch, the ability to cover with hitters who are corners at safety will help control the game. We all saw a corner, Talib, take out Graham.

so what I am saying is as Brady begins to lose it, and the defense gains, the patriots are poised to make a run of 3 in 4 again to close out his career in NE as the greatest ever.

Historic, prolific team on the other side of the ball.

All of Brady's weapons on the other side of the ball watched from the MASH tent.

Welcome back Os!!!

This draft went "mostly" like I would have hoped, with one major exception (the 2nd pick), so I didn't feel too too bad about it.

While I didn't think they'd go for a guy with 2 knee surgeries, I did expect them to go DL with the first pick, if there was anyone left worth taking.

My miss was that I did expect them to take a WR in the 2nd round, considering all the WRs in this draft. After that, OL was the clear need, along with a backup QB.

Clearly, BB thinks more of the WRs they already have than I have thus far. I'm hoping he's right and I'm wrong, this time.

popcorn

Welcome back Os!!!

This draft went "mostly" like I would have hoped, with one major exception (the 2nd pick), so I didn't feel too too bad about it.

While I didn't think they'd go for a guy with 2 knee surgeries, I did expect them to go DL with the first pick, if there was anyone left worth taking.

My miss was that I did expect them to take a WR in the 2nd round, considering all the WRs in this draft. After that, OL was the clear need, along with a backup QB.

Clearly, BB thinks more of the WRs they already have than I have thus far. I'm hoping he's right and I'm wrong, this time.

popcorn

Thoughts of reports the Pats wanted to move Amendola are still fresh after a couple of months. I think BB is pretty happy with the WR corps right now.

Gallon slipped bc of his size but otherwise he's a great WR who runs all the routes and plays all the positions. He was my 4th ranked WR this year for the Pats. Great value imo.
http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=68338 …

and watch this.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XkoJ_JxKj9w?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back