Randon Post-Draft Musings

Oswlek

Reaction score
Hey All! I'm still unsure about how much I'll follow the team, but I have collected a batch of semi-lucid ramblings and have no friends to share them with.... so lucky you! WTF? :suicide:

* It was refreshing to see that Patriots fans are as misguidedly belligerent as they were a when I jumped ship 8 months ago. Mike Reiss had a live chat during the second day of the draft and WEEI's finest were out in full force. The most ridiculous comment was something along the lines of "Oh great, now Bill traded a 3rd round pick for a bunch of 4s that won't even make the team!"

Hey, asswaffle. They moved back 12 spots. 12 spots. Jesus, the cut off between Dominant Ass Kicker and Lucky to Make the Team was apparently damn sharp this year. Too bad NE's GM didn't notice it.

Regrettably, the rest wasn't much better

* Speaking of Reiss, he got caught up in the rough waters himself. After the 3rd round trade, he commented something like, "I guess the FO wasn't being genuine when they said they liked the depth in this draft."

Mike, isn't sliding back a dozen spots from the bottom of the 3rd round and picking up a pick at the top of the 6th precisely the type of thing a team would do if they really like the depth? :shrug_n:

I've disagreed with a lot of Mike's contentions recently. He was far more content with the OL than I was. I fully expected a double dip with one as early as the second day (can I give myself partial credit for the latter detail?). Even looking at the issue currently, Mike is taking more of a future outlook, but I think NE is hoping at least one of the interior rookies takes a job this upcoming season. Maybe that is quick enough to ouster either Connolly or Wendell or maybe they'll go the Koppen route, but by midseason at the latest. And I think they hope at least two of the interior spots are turned over by the end of the 2015 training camp.

I think he's riding the "NE would have preferred to move back but didn't get a good enough offer" train a bit too hard. I mean, we all know NE would have taken a 2nd and next year's first overpay, but I'm not sure they wanted to move back. Would a team really make their selection with several minutes on the clock if they did?

* Can we finally remove "Brady's Window" from our vernacular? It clearly never existed in Bill's. The whole YOU-GOTTA-WIN-NOW-FOR-BRADY!!!!! thing has never made much sense to me. Sure, you don't get that many chances and a great QB makes it dramatically easier. But the last three super bowls have been won by guys who aren't elite. Two good and one who is average. You can't do much with a bad QB, and a great one is basically a free ticket to the second round, but the whole roster matters.

Second, unless my eyes are deceiving me, Brady himself was either a playoff non-factor or liability in the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013. Seriously, if you swapped Tom for any average QB, which of those playoffs would have turned out differently? Not seasons, mind you. Tom has had a hug impact on NE getting an extra couple wins and byes. But the playoffs have been another story. The only time they beat a team that they didn't have a significant talent edge on, Tom took the microphone and apologized for his performance.

Lastly, if we all agree that you need at least a good QB and a great one gives you an edge, why wouldn't you take a guy you really like without having to shit the bed to have the chance to get him? It isn't like JG was taken in the middle of the first round, he was a late second round selection. The same people bitching about that are the first ones to tell you how much Bill sucks at picking in the second round, so what does it matter anyway?

If NE felt that JG was on a level playing field with the rest of the QBs, then they clearly made a mistake by not waiting another round or two. If they liked him more than McCarron or Savage or anyone else that fans and media bring up, they needed to step to the plate because Houston was coming up to the podium soon. If the kid doesn't pan out, it's a bad pick, which is the same that can be said of any selection.

I didn't like Mallett in college and I still think he's a terrible fit for this offense, so I'm thrilled that NE has found a promising guy who is a better match. If Bill has had a snafu, it was not dumping Mallett for the supposed 2nd round offer(s).

* There's already been a lot of talk about Revis' contract, but the one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that the bonus structure was NE's decision. Revis was never going to accept a deal that allowed NE to tag him in 2015, but that could have been avoided easily simply by adding language disallowing it. Not only would that have been simpler, it would have made NE eligible for a comp pick in 2016 if Revis leaves.

Instead, NE forfeited that comp pick to tack a phony second year on, providing some cap relief for this year and giving NE an extra month and a half to hash out a deal. I've even heard douchewaffles like Mutt on WEEI complaining about the cap hit in 2015 as if it somehow makes it a worse deal than originally reported. Hey! Idiot! That was the team's choice! :dith:

Anyway, circling back around to the bogus Brady window, Darelle's singing was never about that, despite lots of rhetoric otherwise, nor was it a break from NE's SOP. It was a great opportunity that NE was smart to pounce on.

Think of it this way, if Bill was given the ability to franchise tag any player in the entire league, free agent or no, would he ever pass on that? Or would he use it on someone every single year? That is pretty much what fell into NE's lap this year, except they were able to even spread the cap hit over two years.

* I have to agree with Hawg that Easly's selection is indicative of a change. This kid is nothing like anyone NE's drafted that high. The closest recent guy is Mike Wright, but he (and other smaller DTs) tended to be UDFAs or late rounders. You don't use a first rounder on this kid and then totally misuse him as a 2-gapper. His best asset is his burst and disruption, forcing him to read and fight guys is about the worst thing you can do.

BTW, Armstead has become a joke around these parts, but when Bill goes out of his way to mention him as a critical loss last year, that tells me the team still views him as a big piece of the defensive puzzle. If Easly carves out a role, Armstead is healthy and you get a second you bump from one of Jones or Vellano... that is the makings of a very promising young DT corps. Yes, some ifs, but nothing outlandish.

* I hadn't watched film on Gallon, but I can see why you guys love him so much. That kid is a player. He reminds me of Bam Childress, except with NFL athleticism. Tough kid, the Steve Smith comparison seems apt. I didn't expect NE to go WR high, but I was totally on board with a late round flyer. Watching this kid on film, I have a hard time not seeing him on the roster this year.

* I have to chalk up the no TE drafted to MM and Chevs being right about the draft class. There is a big need there with or without Keller. I won't be surprised if this ends up being a 7WR year with LaFell taking some of those duties.

Alright, purge done for now. :Eason::blah:

Great to hear from you. Lucid points that i agree with mostly. And all the talk shows, all the mediots are ripping BB to shreds. Big Foo Fa ;s over what does the Garapollo pick mean (vis a vis Brady)? Why waste a 2nd. How do you waste a no 1? Why so desperate? Where's your tight end? Etc. All In the sanctimonious Felger and MAZ outraged/amazed voice That screams out just how stupid BB is and always has been. :shrug: This kind of continuous background noise is reason enough to not want to follow the pats. And that's true (imo) whether you agree with all or some of that BG noise or not.

be well.

Cheers, BostonTim

Great to hear from you. Lucid points that i agree with mostly. And all the talk shows, all the mediots are ripping BB to shreds. Big Foo Fa ;s over what does the Garapollo pick mean (vis a vis Brady)? Why waste a 2nd. How do you waste a no 1? Why so desperate? Where's your tight end? Etc. All In the sanctimonious Felger and MAZ outraged/amazed voice That screams out just how stupid BB is and always has been. :shrug: This kind of continuous background noise is reason enough to not want to follow the pats. And that's true (imo) whether you agree with all or some of that BG noise or not.

be well.

Cheers, BostonTim

As much as I sometimes miss being closer to home, the bolder part is why I don't miss living near Boston. I get to follow my team without, as much, crazy negativity. It's also why this is the only Pat's board I read, the crazy negativity still exists, but it isn't as bad as other places.

SSDD

Good stuff Oswelk. I agree with you on the Armstead thing. He hasn't had a chance to show us what he can do yet. Let's hold off judgement until that time comes.

Gallon looks like a great weapon to add to the arsenal. We'll see if he can grasp the playbook quickly enough to make use of that speed.

be well.

Cheers, BostonTim

The amusing thing is, Felger and Mazz are the only two who actually seemed to like the draft as of Friday. I imagine they'll stay on that track today since it's a) Contrarian, b) Felger was right about them taking a QB early and c) Garappolo was on their dart board draft board.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere, grading a draft before these players have even put on their team's helmet is asinine.

Personally, I loved the draft, from Easley to Garoppolo to the big fatty OLs they took in the middle rounds. Not only to build the OL for this year, but with an eye to next year when they (I think) cut Mankins.

My favorite pick is probably Gallon. If you'd have watched Michigan the last couple of years, he just jumps off the screen, mostly because he's the only player on that offense, catching wobblers from whatever RB Michigan had playing QB at the time. He's tough and competes for every ball, even if he doesn't have the best hands in the world. (Then again, neither does anyone else on the team, save for Amendola).

My best comparison for a Patriots past WR with him would be Troy Brown. Branch, of course, was shifty and quick, but he shied from contact (famously as his career went on). Actually, if you want a better comparison and are old enough to remember, he's not all that dissimilar to a faster Clarence Weathers.

Assuming Easley is healthy (which I imagine he is, healthy enough anyway), that defense is ****ing sick. Brady can continue to regress, and it won't matter nearly as much, so long as he can hold it together enough to approximate last year's numbers, especially with the giant OL-to-be in front of him.

The amusing thing is, Felger and Mazz are the only two who actually seemed to like the draft as of Friday. I imagine they'll stay on that track today since it's a) Contrarian, b) Felger was right about them taking a QB early and c) Garappolo was on their dart board draft board.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere, grading a draft before these players have even put on their team's helmet is asinine.

Personally, I loved the draft, from Easley to Garoppolo to the big fatty OLs they took in the middle rounds. Not only to build the OL for this year, but with an eye to next year when they (I think) cut Mankins.

My favorite pick is probably Gallon. If you'd have watched Michigan the last couple of years, he just jumps off the screen, mostly because he's the only player on that offense, catching wobblers from whatever RB Michigan had playing QB at the time. He's tough and competes for every ball, even if he doesn't have the best hands in the world. (Then again, neither does anyone else on the team, save for Amendola).

My best comparison for a Patriots past WR with him would be Troy Brown. Branch, of course, was shifty and quick, but he shied from contact (famously as his career went on). Actually, if you want a better comparison and are old enough to remember, he's not all that dissimilar to a faster Clarence Weathers.

Assuming Easley is healthy (which I imagine he is, healthy enough anyway), that defense is ****ing sick. Brady can continue to regress, and it won't matter nearly as much, so long as he can hold it together enough to approximate last year's numbers, especially with the giant OL-to-be in front of him.

That has to be one of your longest posts in a while and it was a pleasure to read.

Add old pal Borges to the thumbs-up crowd. Yes, I caught Ronnie the other night and he was surprisingly positive on the draft and spoke highly of Belichick for a change. Which led me to believe he's trying to get back in the Boston football business in a bigger way and realizes he can't do it being a Patriot muckraker. He seemed to be experiencing inner turmoil, but said some upbeat shit.

I agree about Gallon and he did stand out. He made clutch plays and didn't get a whole lot of help from his QB. Every team needs somebody that knows how to find the sticks on 3rd down and he was that guy for Michigan.

Thank you for saying "continue to regress". I feel like every time I suggest it somebody wants to toss me on a bonfire, but it's been a while since Tom Brady has been Tom Brady. Not that most people care to notice. Or care to bring it up if they do. Simpler that way. In any case, a better defense is our best best to get another ring and not hoping for Brady circa 2007 again.

I'm not as sure about Mankins, but wouldn't be surprised if he's on the long slide down now. My theory is that his legs are junk and he's trying to gut it out with limited success, but with all the focus on Wendell and Connolly some people miss that Mankins hasn't really been Mankins, either. He's got nothing to apologize for, but it is what it is. Halapio resembles him in style more than a little.

Thank you for saying "continue to regress". I feel like every time I suggest it somebody wants to toss me on a bonfire, but it's been a while since Tom Brady has been Tom Brady. Not that most people care to notice. Or care to bring it up if they do. Simpler that way. In any case, a better defense is our best best to get another ring and not hoping for Brady circa 2007 again.

Brady will never be 30 again. I, like you, would like to be able to say obvious things like, "Brady's gonna be 37" and "His stats have steadily and noticeably declined over the last three years" without the Brady Brigade coming out to blame everyone from the receivers to the offensive line to the coaches to whatever else they want to blame. You know, except 12.

It's not his fault. He's 37. He's still really good, but he'll never be as good as he was in 2007. And his ducking ghosts in the pocket, throwing lawn darts into the dirt, throwing deep balls into the 5th row and making bad reads in the hopes that his arm will cover for it - shows me he's not the same guy.

Nobody is saying 'cut Brady'. But let's be real, folks. He's a B+ now where he used to be an A+. Most teams in the NFL would kill for a B+, who's strength is reading defenses, knowing the offense inside and out, and being an ultimate competitor.

Picking up a kid with measurables and leadership ability (And if you didn't watch Eastern Illinois last year, he really was the whole damned team), not much of an ego and a willingness to learn? Yeah, you do that when your starting QB is 37. It's smart business. How to Build a Team 101.

I'm not as sure about Mankins, but wouldn't be surprised if he's on the long slide down now. My theory is that his legs are junk and he's trying to gut it out with limited success, but with all the focus on Wendell and Connolly some people miss that Mankins hasn't really been Mankins, either. He's got nothing to apologize for, but it is what it is. Halapio resembles him in style more than a little.

Mankins is a lock to get cut next year. He'll be a 33-year-old guard with junk knees, and an $8 million cap number, who really hasn't been worth anywhere near that in two or three seasons, if you really want to know the truth.

Wendell's on that incentive-laden contract that will pay him back-up money if he's a back-up. He's good enough as a backup. I think Connolly will have a bit of a bounceback if he doesn't have to carry Wendell's water all year long, but we'll see.

I love all three OL picks, really. If need be, you could plug and play. And even if you didn't want to rush them in, having the giant Stanford kid ready to go when Vollmer inevitably gets hurt, works for me.

That has to be one of your longest posts in a while and it was a pleasure to read.

Add old pal Borges to the thumbs-up crowd. Yes, I caught Ronnie the other night and he was surprisingly positive on the draft and spoke highly of Belichick for a change. Which led me to believe he's trying to get back in the Boston football business in a bigger way and realizes he can't do it being a Patriot muckraker. He seemed to be experiencing inner turmoil, but said some upbeat shit.

I agree about Gallon and he did stand out. He made clutch plays and didn't get a whole lot of help from his QB. Every team needs somebody that knows how to find the sticks on 3rd down and he was that guy for Michigan.

Hey Os, great seeing you again!

I love this draft actually. TE is the only position not drafted but that story isn't over either. Andre the Giant TE may be ok or Keller could be dialed in for signing later. Lots of off season TEs will be cut; plenty of time for that.

Personally I really like the draft for the picks for the trenches. Easley will take some time to burn in but I loved him at Fla. and his talent was undeniable. ACLs just ain't what they used to be. Stork will likely earn the starter's spot before wk.1 at C. Wendell will be cheap insurance. Connolly and Mankins were both sent msgs loud and clear.

I think this may be a 7WR year unless some horse TE comes in. The gen fan population seems to think KT is on the bubble. That makes no sense. KT beat out Boyce easily last year.

Gallon will tough to cut. Can't wait to see him in camp.

Agree with everything both of you have written here.

In fact, if one of these new hogs shines in camp I wouldn't be surprised if Mankins gets the Turk this season, and offset the $8 mil cap hit with a 6th rounders salary.

Os!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wuv

Brady will never be 30 again. I, like you, would like to be able to say obvious things like, "Brady's gonna be 37" and "His stats have steadily and noticeably declined over the last three years" without the Brady Brigade coming out to blame everyone from the receivers to the offensive line to the coaches to whatever else they want to blame. You know, except 12.

It's not his fault. He's 37. He's still really good, but he'll never be as good as he was in 2007. And his ducking ghosts in the pocket, throwing lawn darts into the dirt, throwing deep balls into the 5th row and making bad reads in the hopes that his arm will cover for it - shows me he's not the same guy.

Nobody is saying 'cut Brady'. But let's be real, folks. He's a B+ now where he used to be an A+. Most teams in the NFL would kill for a B+, who's strength is reading defenses, knowing the offense inside and out, and being an ultimate competitor.

Picking up a kid with measurables and leadership ability (And if you didn't watch Eastern Illinois last year, he really was the whole damned team), not much of an ego and a willingness to learn? Yeah, you do that when your starting QB is 37. It's smart business. How to Build a Team 101.

I should make this my sig. Perfectly stated.

I also think some of these "Brady brigade" people forget how much the defense was the reason they were winning early on last year. For the past 4 seasons aggregate, the Pats defense has led the NFL in turnovers and is 6th in PA while being dead last in YPG and 3rd down %. One reason I don't care that much about sacks, and moreso about just forcing the QB to make a poor enough throw that your DBs can intercept the ball, or bat it away. I believe the teams who have led the NFL in sacks lately (or have had guys who are sack leaders)haven't made much noise in the playoffs.

Easley almost sounds to me like a mini Sapp in his heydey. Knowing how much BB wanted Sapp, it makes sense to me. If BB had wanted to keep a base 3-4 2 gap defense he would have replaced Seymour at some point IMO. I think some people forget that he's lined VW up everywhere on the line at some point. If he had a strict NT like Washington or Traylor, perhaps that wouldn't have happened. So it's been a long time coming.

Holy shit, Tommy!!! I agree with you pretty much all the way through your entire post. WE MUST CELEBRATE!!!!

:party:

Holy shit, Tommy!!! I agree with you pretty much all the way through your entire post. WE MUST CELEBRATE!!!!

:party:

Well, the worm has definitely turned, hasn't it?

I can't figure out if Tommy is mellowing or I'm getting more critical, but that was on the money.

Os!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wuv

I should make this my sig. Perfectly stated.

I also think some of these "Brady brigade" people forget how much the defense was the reason they were winning early on last year. For the past 4 seasons aggregate, the Pats defense has led the NFL in turnovers and is 6th in PA while being dead last in YPG and 3rd down %. One reason I don't care that much about sacks, and moreso about just forcing the QB to make a poor enough throw that your DBs can intercept the ball, or bat it away. I believe the teams who have led the NFL in sacks lately (or have had guys who are sack leaders)haven't made much noise in the playoffs.

Easley almost sounds to me like a mini Sapp in his heydey. Knowing how much BB wanted Sapp, it makes sense to me. If BB had wanted to keep a base 3-4 2 gap defense he would have replaced Seymour at some point IMO. I think some people forget that he's lined VW up everywhere on the line at some point. If he had a strict NT like Washington or Traylor, perhaps that wouldn't have happened. So it's been a long time coming.

When I think of Easley, I immediately think Sapp more than John Randle as I've seen around. I see a non-pot-fogged Sapp with a hint of Brandon Spikes' nose for the snap count. Top-end potential, of course, and Sapp always stayed healthy (as did Randle) where Easley hasn't.

Well, the worm has definitely turned, hasn't it?

I can't figure out if Tommy is mellowing or I'm getting more critical, but that was on the money.

I think we're all maturing and seeing things more rationally. :coffee:

When I think of Easley, I immediately think Sapp more than John Randle as I've seen around. I see a non-pot-fogged Sapp with a hint of Brandon Spikes' nose for the snap count. Top-end potential, of course, and Sapp always stayed healthy (as did Randle) where Easley hasn't.

He's similar to Sapp in some ways, but Sapp had a deadly bull rush, among other things and I really haven't seen Easley do that much, but in terms of being able to shoot a gap--- most definitely. Country strong and cat quick.

We need bringing a little chaos to be a bigger part of our D to prevent half-assed QBs from having career games against us because we let them get a little too comfortable in the pocket and suddenly they get the idea they aren't all that shitty.

Easley brings the chaos.

He's similar to Sapp in some ways, but Sapp had a deadly bull rush, among other things and I really haven't seen Easley do that much, but in terms of being able to shoot a gap--- most definitely. Country strong and cat quick.

We need bringing a little chaos to be a bigger part of our D to prevent half-assed QBs from having career games against us because we let them get a little too comfortable in the pocket and suddenly they get the idea they aren't all that shitty.

Easley brings the chaos.

IMO, this is the kind of DT Kelly is as well, deep down, although obviously not to Easley's (potential) degree.

If Easley's healthy and plays to his potential, I think VW is a 2-down player now.

Very satisfied with this draft also, it sucks hearing The Beetle from (98.5) whine about the Garoppolo pick. I think he truly believes Brady can and will play until he's 45 years old.

What I, myself would like to see and this is nothing against Brady, but have another 1 or 2 more good years and then trade him for a stock load of high draft picks. I know their are teams out their that would make a stooped move like that and give a lot back in picks.

IMO, this is the kind of DT Kelly is as well, deep down, although obviously not to Easley's (potential) degree.

If Easley's healthy and plays to his potential, I think VW is a 2-down player now.

Hell, I could see Vince becoming a situational player depending upon Kelly's health and Armstead's progress.

AFAIC, Easley, assuming health, will be penciled in at one of the DT spots. That leaves VW, TK, AA, and even Zach Moore, who has a lot of physical tools, to compete for playing time at the other spot. I think Kelly and Armstead offer more in terms of pass-rush than VW at this point. Wouldn't shock me to see Big Vince relegated to 3rd-and-short and goalline situations.

Hell, I could see Vince becoming a situational player depending upon Kelly's health and Armstead's progress.

AFAIC, Easley, assuming health, will be penciled in at one of the DT spots. That leaves VW, TK, AA, and even Zach Moore, who has a lot of physical tools, to compete for playing time at the other spot. I think Kelly and Armstead offer more in terms of pass-rush than VW at this point. Wouldn't shock me to see Big Vince relegated to 3rd-and-short and goalline situations.

First of all, I count Armstead for absolutely nothing.

Secondly, I'd like Vince in there on first downs still, base packages. Take him out in sub packages, which is what they'll be in most of the time anyway.

This has been a great thread so far. One of the reasons for this is not having every other post say, "You can't read this post because you blocked this obnoxious poster and the post is a repeat of multiple previous posts, anyhow." If JG is willing to learn from Brady for a year of two, which he claims to be, it will be Aaron Rogers redux. He is more NFL ready physically than Brady was when he came in to the league. Hopefully he beats out Mallett for the #2 spot and free up a roster spot.

Back