Raquel Welch RIP

Christmas 1967, we jumped into trucks for a 30 mile trip to Long Bin, for the Bob Hope XMas show. Headlining was a young actress by the name of Raquel Welch.
Although most of us barely knew who she was, the noise was deafening when she took the stage.
Thanks to Miss Welch for helping to make Christmas a long way from home for a bunch of GIs a little easier.
Wow. Saw him (and Raquel) in 67 at both Saigon and Danang. Could also have made it to Long Binh, don't remember why I passed. Probably work related. Anyway, tens of thousands of Americans loved her to death, YT included.

Christmas 1967, we jumped into trucks for a 30 mile trip to Long Bin, for the Bob Hope XMas show. Headlining was a young actress by the name of Raquel Welch.
Although most of us barely knew who she was, the noise was deafening when she took the stage.
Thanks to Miss Welch for helping to make Christmas a long way from home for a bunch of GIs a little easier.

Wow. Saw him (and Raquel) in 67 at both Saigon and Danang. Could also have made it to Long Binh, don't remember why I passed. Probably work related. Anyway, tens of thousands of Americans loved her to death, YT included.
Thank you both for your service!

I understand she had some ribs removed to make her waist smaller. Straight from the tabloids.:dith:

She didn't like being a sex symbol and didn't like using her looks for attention. Hollywood didn't take her seriously as an actress so she was forced to take some sexy parts in movies if she wanted to work but she wasn't comfortable with it. Removing a floating rib doesn't sound like something she would do.

She didn't like being a sex symbol and didn't like using her looks for attention. Hollywood didn't take her seriously as an actress so she was forced to take some sexy parts in movies if she wanted to work but she wasn't comfortable with it. Removing a floating rib doesn't sound like something she would do.

Agree.

Has a scent of curmudgeon envy, such statements.

Absolutely beautiful which her looks were just a small part of.

Somehow I had no idea you served in Vietnam Tim.

Bless you brother.

Somehow I had no idea you served in Vietnam Tim.

Bless you brother.
Yup. Almost two years. In Saigion and as much out of harm's way as it could be. 67-69.

Last edited:
Back