Rd 1, #29 - Cole Strange, IOL, Chattenooga

I liked Mason as much as the next guy, but that was a salary cap move. It's not the first time it happens and I can almost guarantee you it won't be the last time.

Salary cap reasons? Which were self inflicted. Mason is young and an elite guard. But because we wasted massive cap on mediocre guys in Agholor, Jonnu, Godchaux, and Wynn, we had to let a borderline all-pro guard go for a 5th rounder back.

Then to fill the self created hole go burn a 1st on an overdraft for a guard? Are these the Patriots or the Jets.

Cleaned the thread up a bit, but can't do much about the quotes. It's too early to be this pissed off, people.

Drink some coffee, watch the sunrise, go hug your kids or whatever the hell makes you feel happy. It's not that serious.

Yes, and I remember when Mankins was drafted. BB was heavily criticized for using a first round pick on a guard.

Looking back, it turned out OK.

Disagree. The Mankins pick was bad as well even though Mankins was good. Pats routinely find quality guards in the mid to lower rounds. Going guard or RB in the first round is never good. Just like you might be able to agree picking a kicker or punter too high doesn't make sense no matter how good the player is.

Salary cap reasons? Which were self inflicted. Mason is young and an elite guard. But because we wasted massive cap on mediocre guys in Agholor, Jonnu, Godchaux, and Wynn, we had to let a borderline all-pro guard go for a 5th rounder back.

Then to fill the self created hole go burn a 1st on an overdraft for a guard? Are these the Patriots or the Jets.
This is where I'm at.
Who was in charge of the spending money on Agholor, Jonnu, etc?

This move is like a dog chasing it's tail.

Cleaned the thread up a bit, but can't do much about the quotes. It's too early to be this pissed off, people.

Drink some coffee, watch the sunrise, go hug your kids or whatever the hell makes you feel happy. It's not that serious.
Thanks. :toast:

That was extremely interesting to watch for the first four minutes.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Evan have a temper tantrum before but that was clearly one. Somewhere along the lines it seems his opinions were some thing that he thought the Patriots were paying attention to. And now he’s pissed as a result of being ignored.

I love Evan and appreciate his work but he needs to take a cold shower and chill.

That was my take as well. Lazar apparently thinks that all of the work he does needs to be validated by the Patriots. Why on earth would he think that, based on BB’s track record?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some people are only happy when they're mad. 🤷‍♂️

Mankind was a OT in college and was a consensus high 2nd rounder.
The highest that I've seen Strange rated is mid 3rd round.
And yet, the NFLN broadcast showed that they estimated a 54% chance that Strange would be available at the Patriots next pick, which was mid-late 2nd round. How do you reconcile? Or do you think there's maybe information that is more "inside" than draft gurus?

Mason didn’t play at an elite level for 2 seasons.

This is my problem, even if the guy can play we could have gotten him 3 rounds later and addressed the defense. As of now we are still old and slow, that's what he **** Bill apologists aren't getting.

Which of the 4-5 LBs that we have who haven’t had the chance to play yet are old and slow ?

Even taking off the BB colored glasses Strange was ranked as the 4th best guard in the draft. When you get that high in a position then personal traits appear to matter to teams, size, style of play, football smarts, etc. I think that Strange would be available at 54 but would not feel comfortable waiting until 85 to draft him, should I want him. It looks to me like BB thinks he had a better chance at getting another position at 54, 85 and 94 with the depth at whatever position he is targeting. Sometimes it is not just the player, but how the draft is developing. When I looked at the pff big board for IOL Strange although ranked 6 overall, was the fourth best guard and had the highest overall rating of the top 5 guards. A reach, okay I can go with that, but a disaster is way overstating the case into Felger territory.

Why not move back another 10 picks then? No need to take the guy at #29.

Also JC Jackson, Hightower, Van Noy are gone plus the DLine still sucks and was a worst-5 rushing defense. Nothing was addressed adequately via FA or last night.

Yes, and I remember when Mankins was drafted. BB was heavily criticized for using a first round pick on a guard.

Looking back, it turned out OK.
Not really the point, my issue is we are still old and slow on defense. Even if this kid can play we could have picked him in the third round. Ob top of it, if everything works out perfectly, all it accomplishes is to fill a hole that Bill created himself by giving Mason away for nothing.

Wow. Now I can see why the BB haters hate this pick. It has Belichick written all over it.

I do like this kid. But why not trade back 10 spots and pick up more picks? Nobody was taking this kid that early. It's not about whether he would last till #54. That wasn't the only option.....

Why not move back another 10 picks then? No need to take the guy at #29.

Also JC Jackson, Hightower, Van Noy are gone plus the DLine still sucks and was a worst-5 rushing defense. Nothing was addressed adequately via FA or last night.

How do you know they didn’t try?

Again, everyone has said that picks 20-60 are all of similar quality. Perhaps #29 had little value to other teams .

Oh, for the love of god ****, we are bottom 10 in stopping the run and you want to pretend it's not because we traded for another teams LB bust?

Clearly you don’t know the roster that well.
Perkins?
McGrone?

Both excellent college players who fill needed roles.

Back