Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Me and you, Chevs, shoulder-to-shoulder and backs to the wall.......

I'd be happy to end up with Dak, but I'd be 100% thrilled to get Watson and about 85% with Prescott. I'd have my doubts about him.

I tend to go by what my eyes tell me as opposed to analytics and I've seen Dak take the pickle a few too many times in the clutch to fully trust his judgement. For a good part of his career he's had an outstanding OL, Zeke in the backfield and good to excellent receivers. That is a prime scenario for success and the 'Boys haven't gotten it done in the postseason. Coaching? Special Teams? Jerrah interfering? Bad D? There is always a saddlebag filled with excuses in Dallas.

Still, that kid would be a far cry from what we endured this year and he might love playing for a disciplined team for a change.
Yeah I said the same thing on Dak. Oh Watson, I am not sure anyone has said they would not want him, so I think everyone agrees, but I do not think or even understand why the Texans would do that. BOB left, so I dont seen them just handing out all pro players to needy teams. If Watson pitched a fit hard enough, they would ship him off to a shit team in the NFC, not to a pats team Caserio just left.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Here's what BB said on Dak back in Nov., 2019. It sounds reminiscent of what BB said about Hunter Henry this year.

Stats of Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson. Not much different.

I should clarify Dak's contract dispute with Jerrah. Dak wanted a short term, 3-4 year deal so he could enter FA while still in his prime at the time of the new TV deals kicking in. Jerrah wanted a long term deal, 6-7 years, to keep Dak during his prime at a reasonable rate as cap soared.

That report leaked by the Cowboys about Dak wanting $45M is true but that $45M was only for the 1st year as a trade off for Dak to accept the long term deal Jerrah wanted averaging $30-$35M/. (Dak doesn't trust Jerrah!?) Jerrah being a smart business man said no, I'll just franchise tag you and save $14M for 2020. Dak signed the tag that paid him $31.5M for 2020; he wasn't happy about it but realized it was a logical compromise being for only a year. Jerrah can FT Dak again for 2021 but the cost would be $37.5M. Dak could sign it again and he'd be getting the short deal he wanted all along.

But there's a problem with the 2nd FT that Smart Jerrah didn't fully realize a year ago ---> the lower salary cap bc of COVID. Suddenly Jerrah doesn't have the cap space to do it easily - he's $20M short. Yeah, he could re-structure contracts and let a valuable FA or 2 go but he'd further reduce a team in flux. As I said, screw Jerrah.

spacecrime

Reaction score
Here's what BB said on Dak back in Nov., 2019. It sounds reminiscent of what BB said about Hunter Henry this year.

I should clarify Dak's contract dispute with Jerrah. Dak wanted a short term, 3-4 year deal so he could enter FA while still in his prime at the time of the new TV deals kicking in. Jerrah wanted a long term deal, 6-7 years, to keep Dak during his prime at a reasonable rate as cap soared.

That report leaked by the Cowboys about Dak wanting $45M is true but that $45M was only for the 1st year as a trade off for Dak to accept the long term deal Jerrah wanted averaging $30-$35M/. (Dak doesn't trust Jerrah!?) Jerrah being a smart business man said no, I'll just franchise tag you and save $14M for 2020. Dak signed the tag that paid him $31.5M for 2020; he wasn't happy about it but realized it was a logical compromise being for only a year. Jerrah can FT Dak again for 2021 but the cost would be $37.5M. Dak could sign it again and he'd be getting the short deal he wanted all along.

But there's a problem with the 2nd FT that Smart Jerrah didn't fully realize a year ago ---> the lower salary cap bc of COVID. Suddenly Jerrah doesn't have the cap space to do it easily - he's $20M short. Yeah, he could re-structure contracts and let a valuable FA or 2 go but he'd further reduce a team in flux. As I said, screw Jerrah.
Terrific post

Gumpboy45

Reaction score
Finally someone agrees with me about Watson. I don't want to be another Denver or Buffalo or the NYJ going through QB after QB and waiting years and years to find one.
Under BB the Pats won't do badly enough to get a top 5 draft pick. I'm all for it and I'd pursue it doggedly. But I'm also realistic and the chances of it happening are slim but he's plan A for now. Plan B could be Dak - screw Jerrah. Everyone here assumes Dak wanted too much money but that wasn't it. He wanted a short contract so he could become a FA again in his prime. Jerrah wanted a long term deal. He and Jerrah couldn't reach agreement bc of years and not bc of money.
I agree 100%

Inspector_50

Reaction score

Was that a week before we played the cowboys?

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Reaction score
Was that a week before we played the cowboys?
Probably. Talking about a player on the team you're playing that week isn't considered tampering unless it's obvious. Same with those HHenry comments by BB.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Probably. Talking about a player on the team you're playing that week isn't considered tampering unless it's obvious. Same with those HHenry comments by BB.
Oh no, I didnt mean it that way. I was just thinking that BB has a tendency to over talk a player on a team they are getting ready to play. If the pats were playing a team with me
at QB next week, he would make me sound like Joe Montana. Although I was throwing the ball this weekend with my grand daughter and my arm still hurts. lol

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Reaction score

Inspector_50

Reaction score
What kind of QB does BB want? Brady light, dual threat mobility or someone to run a Kyle Shanahan QB friendly outside zone run based system.
Lazar's excellent article talks about it.

Here is the line that stuck out to me...
"Brady was a quarterback chameleon, allowing the scheme to shift personnel groupings and its point of attack to amplify the best skill players surrounding the greatest quarterback of all-time. "

I think Brady wants a QB that can adapt to different gameplans and is not stuck in just one. Now that is not exactly easy to find, but it damn sure worked for 20 years. BB unlike other coaches
tries to adapt the gameplan to fit who they are playing, other coaches will just say, here is our system and this is what you are going to get.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Here is the line that stuck out to me...
"Brady was a quarterback chameleon, allowing the scheme to shift personnel groupings and its point of attack to amplify the best skill players surrounding the greatest quarterback of all-time. "
I doubt we ever find that again. What Brady was able to do was the perfect combo of skill, intelligence and humility as if the game plan called for 30 runs, he would hand off. If it called for dump offs and screens, he would do it all game. His will to want to win at any cost combined with Bill's fantastic game plans were the perfect match.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I doubt we ever find that again. What Brady was able to do was the perfect combo of skill, intelligence and humility as if the game plan called for 30 runs, he would hand off. If it called for dump offs and screens, he would do it all game. His will to want to win at any cost combined with Bill's fantastic game plans were the perfect match.
Yeah thats what I said in another forum. Brady will do what was called for. Some QB's want to instill their power. Rodgers for example....Brady was always ok with not getting the stats if it meant getting the win.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
Which is why he was oh so happy all of 2019 when the pats went 12-4?he used to be like that. where he went tells me he's about "weaponz!1!1!1111!!" and easier situations now.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Which is why he was oh so happy all of 2019 when the pats went 12-4?he used to be like that. where he went tells me he's about "weaponz!1!1!1111!!" and easier situations now.
He was not happy because he saw how the offense was performing and did not think that would be good enough to get through the playoffs....which he said over and over again. Maybe you should have listened. He was right, and now that Cam is in, you all say it over and over. Brady knew last year. If I work somewhere and my job is made to be way harder than it is because the company did not provide me the resources to put them over the top, then I am going to be unhappy about it. Its called someone who is dedicated to their job and what they do. He always has been in his career and you know that, and he has shown it. Bill is the same way. Bill is never happy, he is never satisfied until the end. But thats ok for some reason. As long as Brady would smile on the sideline like Cam and golly shucks I tried?!?! In pressers than all was good. No, not how it works.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Reaction score
It was more a change of focus than a change of offense from Brady's pov. The Pats could run or pass and the game plan focused on weak links. Brady didn't change; the focus changed.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
It was more a change of focus than a change of offense from Brady's pov. The Pats could run or pass and the game plan focused on weak links. Brady didn't change; the focus changed.
But Brady could adapt to it. If the game required to get the ball out faster because of pass rush or oline struggles, he could. Not everyone can, ask Cam. You posted Lazar's story, now you do not agree with it? Lazar was Right, Brady could adapt to most any game plan, and others cannot.

Also from your link

"
Current Pats quarterback Cam Newton spoke at length this season about his struggles with one of the most sophisticated playbooks in football, saying he was hesitating due to overthinking.

McDaniels’s adjustment to help Newton was to strip the offense of its full-field reads and optionality, noticeably affecting its potency.

Suppose the Patriots want to run an offense that relies on a supercomputer at quarterback reading out coverages and route adjustments rapidly. In that case, it’s going to be difficult to find that.

Sure, Belichick and McDaniels could search for Brady-lite, which many in the building thought they had with Jimmy Garoppolo, for example, but there’s still only one Tom Brady.

And even if the quarterback gets it, do the receivers understand their jobs? Many veteran and rookie receivers alike have struggled to adapt to the Patriots’ playbook.

Although finding Brady-lite is one option, it’s a tall order to expect any quarterback, especially a first-year player, to succeed in a passing system that is overly complex even for veterans."

Last edited:
OP
chevss454

chevss454

Reaction score
He was not happy because he saw how the offense was performing and did not think that would be good enough to get through the playoffs....which he said over and over again. Maybe you should have listened. He was right, and now that Cam is in, you all say it over and over. Brady knew last year.

Listen? Oh, come on. We all knew last year and complained about it the entire season. It wasn't just Brady complaining although he was the most visible complainer and did himself no favors by showing his anger with the situation. He not only alienated fans he also alienated team mates and coaches.

But Brady could adapt to it. If the game required to get the ball out faster because of pass rush or oline struggles, he could. Not everyone can, ask Cam. You posted Lazar's story, now you do not agree with it? Lazar was Right, Brady could adapt to most any game plan, and others cannot.

I agree with Evan. I don't agree with your interpretation which gives all credit to Brady. I don't agree that it was Brady who changed the offense. It was the coaches' game plan that changed and Brady was simply able to execute it. He didn't suddenly become Lamar Jackson out there.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Listen? Oh, come on. We all knew last year and complained about it the entire season. It wasn't just Brady complaining although he was the most visible complainer and did himself no favors by showing his anger with the situation. He not only alienated fans he also alienated team mates and coaches.

I agree with Evan. I don't agree with your interpretation which gives all credit to Brady. I don't agree that it was Brady who changed the offense. It was the coaches' game plan that changed and Brady was simply able to execute it. He didn't suddenly become Lamar Jackson out there.
Who said I gave all credit to Brady, I am just giving him some credit that you are not. The offense changed because of Brady. Read the story Chev, Lazar is damn sure saying it. Saying oh just toss in QB and they can do all that is just silly. I mean if you dont Belive Lazar than believe BB who said Brady was a big part of the building of that offense. Brady had every right to be upset by what was there in 2019. He is a competitor and he is 100 percent allowed to voice his frustration with that and he should have. There was a lot of failures the last two years in building this team regardless if you like it or not because its really ok to say Bill made some mistakes which you cannot bring yourself to do.

Bottom line if you are going to run a complex system that requires a ton from the QB from adapting to knowing what to get into during games, you damn sure better have the QB that can do it. They did for two decades, now they dont. You want to say, it was not Brady as being part of that, no coach, player or Lazar is going to agree with you.

Last edited:

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Yeah. His attitude change did not come out of the blue. The focus change was sig. on top of no contract extension. The writing was on the wall for him.