Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Inspector_50

Reaction score
That's pure speculation by Mortensen. BS just like his report on the # of deflated balls.
This. They are going to have Watson going to every team in the NFL before its over. This is typical media spot, remember Brady? I think they had him on 10 different teams.

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
This. They are going to have Watson going to every team in the NFL before its over. This is typical media spot, remember Brady? I think they had him on 10 different teams.
Yep many places had top 5 or even top 10 lists and didn't even have the Bucs on them, it was scattershot, and the top 5 most 'likely' options I saw listed for him were:
1) Staying with the Pats
2) The LA Chargers
3) The Tennessee Titans
4) The San Francisco 49ers
5) The LA Raiders

With the Dolphins, Colts, Bengals, Bucs, Cowboys, Bears, Panthers, and Retirement also on the table. Scattershot with the hope that whatever happened, they could retroactively claim they saw it coming. At this point any rumors regarding Watson are likely to be based on wishful thinking and / or speculation rather than anything concrete, totally agreed.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
he's a little bitch for how he's handling this, no thanks.

Maybe you're right, but good QBs have so much clout in this league that practically all of the top guys aren't really treated like the rest of regular mortals on the roster.

Pat Mahomes was called by their GM the day before the last draft and was asked who he wanted them to draft. Mahomes instantly responded "Clyde" and Clyde Edwards-Hellaire became a Chief. Coincidence?

All I know is that Watson has conducted himself like a Gentleman and leader since day one. I've always thought he seems like an exceptional person. He's also playing at an elite level on a team that is turmoil which has nothing to do with him, so I'd be glad to overlook some minor bitchiness if he were willing to come here.

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
I would love to have Watson in New England . He would require a kings ransom. O'Brien F that team with horrible trades. BB has never giving away muliple High draft picks for a Player.

Last edited:

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Watson would require a kings ransom in draft picks. BB has never been know for giving away muliple High draft picks for a Player.
That is not going to happen even if BB wanted to and was willing to pay that much and part with that much. Texans are not trading him to the pats. If they pulled the trigger he would go to a low end team in the NFC, and would be just as unhappy there.

johnlocke

Reaction score
That is not going to happen even if BB wanted to and was willing to pay that much and part with that much. Texans are not trading him to the pats. If they pulled the trigger he would go to a low end team in the NFC, and would be just as unhappy there.

Probably but it's a very nice dream.

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A maze of twisting little passages, all different
Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract. He will have control over which team he gets traded to, in the event that such a trade is consummated.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract. He will have control over which team he gets traded to, in the event that such a trade is consummated.
Yeah but the team owns his rights. They do not have to do anything. I am not even sure the Pats would even do that to be honest. Give up a lot of capital and his cap hit is going to be a monster in a year or two.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
Maybe you're right, but good QBs have so much clout in this league that practically all of the top guys aren't really treated like the rest of regular mortals on the roster.

Pat Mahomes was called by their GM the day before the last draft and was asked who he wanted them to draft. Mahomes instantly responded "Clyde" and Clyde Edwards-Hellaire became a Chief. Coincidence?
I hear you. my biggest issue is his not handling it behind closed doors. i'm betting that had the Chiefs not drafted E-H, mahomes wouldn't have been subtweeting about it. his bitchy giselle like girlfriend, maybe! 😄

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Plan A: Investigate the Watson situation.
Plan B: Take a run at Dak Prescott. No draft picks involved. His stats are eerily similar to Watson's.
Plan C: Stafford
Plan D: Fitzmagic
Get a guy who can be the bridge and maybe more.

Either way, draft a QB in 2021 or 2022 in rnd 1. Be prepared to move up when possible - use current players (Gilmore) as well as draft picks to get it done.
Franchise QBs matter...a lot. Teams should do whatever is necessary to get one and make certain they hang on to him for 12-14 yrs or more.

View: https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1350268972797734913

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score

rivshark86

Reaction score
Is Jordan Love better than Mac Jones? Im asking seriously. I have no idea.

Why would Rodgers want to come to NE? The roster is garbage, and he’d hate BB. Y’all thought Tom was high maintenance, or bratty his last year? I’d love to see reactions to Rodgers post game interviews after 6 games of forcing throws to Harry.

foobahl

Reaction score

Why would Rodgers want to come to NE? The roster is garbage, and he’d hate BB. Y’all thought Tom was high maintenance, or bratty his last year? I’d love to see reactions to Rodgers post game interviews after 6 games of forcing throws to Harry.
I was curious about that too.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score

This is an easy and incorrect viewpoint to take, in my opinion.

We have a very strong OL and plenty of running backs. We need either 1 or 2 dependable WRs, a TE that can produce immediately and a couple of front 7 pieces. The D backfield is still strong and should be OK even without Gilmore if that's how it plays out. Everybody knows we are flush with cash in an offseason where 2/3rds of the teams will have to let good players walk free and won't be able to compete for anybody else seeking even moderate money. It's a buyer's market, clearly and we will be one of the buyers holding the chips.

That's it. That's all we really need to compete. Except a QB, of course.

For a veteran QB considering a move to New England he would need to be assured that we are planning on filling these vacancies, which is totally obvious, but he'd be coming to a team that can protect him and give a defense fits with the ground game before we start restocking the shelves. We're very well coached, disciplined and never quit. We have a history of winning more rings than anybody.

Definitely not a career suicide. For a guy like Stafford, for instance, he'd likely jump at the chance. He's already made more money than he could ever spend, but he doesn't know what it's like to play for an organization like this.

I know you like to drop bombs, but don't take a wholesale dump on this team and expect everybody will agree. The difference between us and the teams in the tournament isn't that big. We need a QB and about 7 productive guys and we're back in the mix. That is definitely doable and I believe it will get done. We need the process to play out.