Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
PFF ranks its best FAs and tells where they think they will sign.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

After one of the most volatile careers in recent history, Fitzpatrick has played the best football of his career since 2018 as he’s posted three of his four best PFF grades. His aggressiveness allows playmakers to create chunk plays down the field, but it also allows the defense to make just as many plays on the ball. Still, that style works well with the right supporting cast, and Fitzpatrick has actually done a fine job of maximizing his group of playmakers and subpar offensive line in Miami.

Contract Analysis: The Fitzmagic rolls on for another season, as the journeyman QB seems to age like a rich Bordeaux. Miami made it clear this past offseason that retaining Fitzpatrick was a priority, even with clear plans to draft Tua Tagovailoa. The 38-year-old had an $8 million base salary for 2020 with no other compensation left on his deal, and teams were reportedly sending trade offers. Miami’s decision to keep one of the great “bridge” quarterbacks around has been a win-win for both parties, and there will be several suitors for Fitzpatrick’s services again in 2021.

Prediction: Patriots sign Ryan Fitzpatrick for one-year, $10 million ($10 million APY): $10M total guaranteed/fully guaranteed at signing.

bmooney54

Reaction score
I wager that Cam will be in TC this off season. He's the best reasonable option at this point. Sure, he had a bad year and single-handedly lost us 3 games, 2 within the 5 yard line as time was expiring, but consider:

1. He missed most of TC.
2. Players lost because of COVID-19.
3. Games moved due to COVID-19.
4. He had COVID-19.
5. No weapons at all.

I read above how difficult it was for him to have to work in Brady's offense. He obviously did a better job than Stidham, who was highly praised by BB all off season. The Pats spent half the off season working with Stidham in the offense before Cam came in and apparently didn't change it.

I'm not saying Cam will be the starter on opening day, but he is a recent MVP and SB QB, will come cheap, will want to prove he deserves another big contract, is a great teammate, mentor and leader, and will operate in the new non-Brady offense. He'll get a chance to compete with whoever is at the QB possition and will be given the customary veteran's release if if he's not in the plan.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
I wager that Cam will be in TC this off season. He's the best reasonable option at this point. Sure, he had a bad year and single-handedly lost us 3 games, 2 within the 5 yard line as time was expiring, but consider:

1. He missed most of TC.
4. He had COVID-19.
5. No weapons at all.

I read above how difficult it was for him to have to work in Brady's offense. He obviously did a better job than Stidham, who was highly praised by BB all off season. The Pats spent half the off season working with Stidham in the offense before Cam came in and apparently didn't change it.

I'm not saying Cam will be the starter on opening day, but he is a recent MVP and SB QB, will come cheap, will want to prove he deserves another big contract, is a great teammate, mentor and leader, and will operate in the new non-Brady offense. He'll get a chance to compete with whoever is at the QB possition and will be given the customary veteran's release if if he's not in the plan.
What makes you think the Patriots will move away from the Brady offense?

Mazz22

Reaction score
McDaniels is the leading candidate for the Eagles job.
That does not mean Bill will scrap the offense. If he was going to, he would have done so with Cam but did not.

P.S. I really hope Josh goes.

SkiptoMyLou

Six Time Super Bowl Champions!
Reaction score

1. He missed most of TC.
4. He had COVID-19.
5. No weapons at all.

While all of that is true, there's also the option he reunites with his old HC Rivera in Washington. I feel that's a better landing spot for him. That said, if he wants to come back and BB wants him back, I'm sure they can come to an agreement.

Mazz22

Reaction score
While all of that is true, there's also the option he reunites with his old HC Rivera in Washington. I feel that's a better landing spot for him. That said, if he wants to come back and BB wants him back, I'm sure they can come to an agreement.
If Bill brings Cams back as the starter, he will have officially lost it as a GM.

Mazz22

Reaction score
Not really.
Do you really believe that? That was the worst QBing we have ever seen on the Patriots in the Bill era. You have to go back to before Parcells/Bledsoe to find that type of output. Scoring was the highest ever in the league this year due to Covid and we had an offense that was early 90s.

SkiptoMyLou

Reaction score
Do you really believe that? That was the worst QBing we have ever seen on the Patriots in the Bill era. You have to go back to before Parcells/Bledsoe to find that type of output. Scoring was the highest ever in the league this year due to Covid and we had an offense that was early 90s.

Read bmooney's post. He had a 7-8 record with virtually no offensive weapons, no TC, very little time for reps, a complex offense etc etc. In hindsight it's not the worst QBing ever in the history of the world as you make it seem. It definitely wasn't pretty. But some things go the other way and Pats could have won 10 games this year as crazy as it sounds. If Cam can get somewhat comfortable with the offense he won't be as deer in the headlights as he was most of this year.

Gumpboy45

Reaction score
Read bmooney's post. He had a 7-8 record with virtually no offensive weapons, no TC, very little time for reps, a complex offense etc etc. In hindsight it's not the worst QBing ever in the history of the world as you make it seem. It definitely wasn't pretty. But some things go the other way and Pats could have won 10 games this year as crazy as it sounds. If Cam can get somewhat comfortable with the offense he won't be as deer in the headlights as he was most of this year.
weapons or not Cam is done. I cant see him playing any where next year unless the is a major run on injuries

Mazz22

Reaction score
When you watched him play, do you feel like he could throw? His passes were some of the worst I have ever seen. Could not throw short, or deep. He made terrible decisions too. I loved him in the red zone when he ran which is why I would like him in a Taysom Hill role. But he is done as a starter IMO. I would be devastated if Bill brought him back as the starter.

SkiptoMyLou

Reaction score
When you watched him play, do you feel like he could throw? His passes were some of the worst I have ever seen. Could not throw short, or deep. He made terrible decisions too. I loved him in the red zone when he ran which is why I would like him in a Taysom Hill role. But he is done as a starter IMO. I would be devastated if Bill brought him back as the starter.

I'm not vouching for Cam to come back. I just think it's not completely out of this world for him to come back. Obviously he would not be the long term answer; he would be a bridge QB. The idea is to have a QB while the rookie QB is groomed. It doesn't have to be Cam. It could be Fitzpatrick or Brisett. Point is, if BB were to draft a QB, I don't think he would just throw them to the wolves right away.

Mazz22

Reaction score
I'm not vouching for Cam to come back. I just think it's not completely out of this world for him to come back. Obviously he would not be the long term answer; he would be a bridge QB. The idea is to have a QB while the rookie QB is groomed. It doesn't have to be Cam. It could be Fitzpatrick or Brisett. Point is, if BB were to draft a QB, I don't think he would just throw them to the wolves right away.
I agree. I think it is 50/50 that Bill brings him back for exactly the reasons you have stated. That is why I said if he does, I believe he will have lost it as a GM. I do hope he drafts a QB high.

SkiptoMyLou

Reaction score
I agree. I think it is 50/50 that Bill brings him back for exactly the reasons you have stated. That is why I said if he does, I believe he will have lost it as a GM. I do hope he drafts a QB high.

Other than Dak, which is not even close to being a sure thing, there aren't many realistic options at QB. Well, other than drafting and grooming a QB through the draft. That is precisely why I wouldn't be shocked to see Cam come back for another year. After having him for a season, BB knows more or less what to expect from Cam and build around that for the time being. It's easier to focus on what you know than to focus on other unknown variables.