Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
Other than Dak, which is not even close to being a sure thing, there aren't many realistic options at QB. Well, other than drafting and grooming a QB through the draft. That is precisely why I wouldn't be shocked to see Cam come back for another year. After having him for a season, BB knows more or less what to expect from Cam and build around that for the time being. It's easier to focus on what you know than to focus on other unknown variables.
FitzMagic would be a MUCH better option than Scam at QB. Obviously, draft a QB in the higher rounds as well.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Other than Dak, which is not even close to being a sure thing, there aren't many realistic options at QB. Well, other than drafting and grooming a QB through the draft. That is precisely why I wouldn't be shocked to see Cam come back for another year. After having him for a season, BB knows more or less what to expect from Cam and build around that for the time being. It's easier to focus on what you know than to focus on other unknown variables.
Isn't that what we did...this year? Also why would you build around Cam, when you are drafting a QB that will probably be nothing like Cam? When did it become scary to start a rookie QB? It happens all the time actually. I just don't know why we waste another year without finding out which direction we are going.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
Felger and Mazz yesterday were saying that the Patriots might not have hit rock bottom yet given we are going to lose coaches and also bedrock players this off-season. I am Ok with it getting worse before it gets better as long as we begin to put the pieces in place this off-season with some infusion of young talent. I actually don't think it is smart this year to blow a chunk of our cap on high priced FAs. We are not in position to make use of them. Best to wait and get some mid-range guys that can play on decent contracts and then load up on draft picks.

mooseontheloose

See, moose love the Pats too!
Reaction score
Totally agree it'll probably get worse or at least stagnate before it gets better. We've got a bunch of players aging out or close to it. Some great youth in certain positions but question marks at others.

Even Lawrence at QB wouldn't fix what's wrong with this team. A QB is a bit step in the rebuild, but BB has a bunch of other positions (on and off the field) that will need to be shored up to make another run in a couple of years.

Mazz22

Reaction score
I doubt it gets down to $180. I have been hearing reports of $190-195. The owners don't want to crater the FA market.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I doubt it gets down to $180. I have been hearing reports of $190-195. The owners don't want to crater the FA market.
If that happens the Saints are screwed, they are going to have to have an entire new team next year.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score

Do you have info no one else has?

Mazz22

Reaction score
Do you have info no one else has?
It has been an ongoing discussion all season. Everything I have heard or read the last few weeks was that the cap would be flat and be in the $190s range. The owners don't want to capsize competitive teams when there is light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine being rolled out. The whole thing is still fluid as discssions are ongoing but I doubt the owners tank the 2021 season for competitive reasons. They will lose fan interest and ticket sales if a bunch of teams are forced to drastically cut their rosters.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
It has been an ongoing discussion all season. Everything I have heard or read the last few weeks was that the cap would be flat and be in the $190s range. The owners don't want to capsize competitive teams when there is light at the end of the tunnel with the vaccine being rolled out. The whole thing is still fluid as discssions are ongoing but I doubt the owners tank the 2021 season for competitive reasons. They will lose fan interest and ticket sales if a bunch of teams are forced to drastically cut their rosters.

I've seen $190s as well but you realize that every $$ not made up this year will be applied to reduce next year's cap. The Pats are currently working off a $175-180M cap

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
To accomplish the cap being equal to anything other than 48.0-48.8% of total revenue split 32 ways, the CBA would need to be renegotiated, which I don't see happening. Regardless of what they want, much like the opponent schedule, it's pre-set and is what it is barring widespread agreement to change it.

Mazz22

Reaction score
I've seen $190s as well but you realize that every $$ not made up this year will be applied to reduce next year's cap. The Pats are currently working off a $175-180M cap
I would prefer they split the loss over 2 seasons. We will see where the discussions end up but it is better for the sport if they don't completely gut it to try to make up everything this year. The Pats are in a good spot regardless and that's all that matters to me. :)

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
FitzMagic would be a MUCH better option than Scam at QB. Obviously, draft a QB in the higher rounds as well.
Respectfully I don't see it, there's no way imho he gets rid of the GOAT due to age concerns (among other things) and brings in a career journeyman with flashes of brilliance but ball control problems who is pushing 40. Garoppolo was drafted when Brady was going to be 37 at the start of the next season, Fitzpatrick is already 38. Unless Fitzpatrick is crazy cheap and there are literally no better options available, I don't see Belichick going in that direction.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Respectfully I don't see it, there's no way imho he gets rid of the GOAT due to age concerns (among other things) and brings in a career journeyman with flashes of brilliance but ball control problems who is pushing 40. Garoppolo was drafted when Brady was going to be 37 at the start of the next season, Fitzpatrick is already 38. Unless Fitzpatrick is crazy cheap and there are literally no better options available, I don't see Belichick going in that direction.
I am all for drafting a rookie and starting him. I am not sure why we have to waste another year with a QB who is not going to be here for long. Its not the same as a rookie starting for the bengals, he is in ok hands he is not here to save the franchise, but you have to see what you have. We never saw that with Stidham, who we might never know what happened to.