Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
I hear you. It would be tough to look forward to.

But in 2020, I think Cam was like a $1.1 mil cap hit. Ryan Fitzpatrick was $8 mil.

I'd rather another year of Cam at that number than some $8 million schlub who will likely yield you similar results, record-wise.

Ugh... just shoot me.
Did you watch Fitzmagic play last year? He was actually good...not joking.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
I'm not advocating any of us go out and buy a Cam Newton Fathead. Both get you in the 6-8 win range.

#Hooray #Fart
If BB signed sCam to play the Taysom Hill role for vet min, and sign another bridge QB to start...that might be a better situation.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I hear you. It would be tough to look forward to.

But in 2020, I think Cam was like a $1.1 mil cap hit. Ryan Fitzpatrick was $8 mil.

I'd rather another year of Cam at that number than some $8 million schlub who will likely yield you similar results, record-wise.

Ugh... just shoot me.

I would, but I might need the bullet for myself.

Sure, 1.1M was a ridiculously low number for a QB and there are probably a few franchises out there where they would pat themselves on the poopoo over winning that
many for so cheap. Not here, though.

I'd rather we take a shot at fixing it this offseason than spend another year watching that painfully long windup and spastic no-look release followed by a post-game presser
where your team's leader looks like he's been staring into the abyss too long.

I respect Cam a lot for what he tried to do here, but I'd put the odds of him having a big year again at non-existent.

Hawg73

Reaction score
Evan Lazar wants BB to sign Jonnu Smith

Yes, please.

Smith has improved steadily and can be an instant starter while we hope last year's rookies can do something of note.

I'd be willing to give him a reasonable chunk of change, too. Jonnu is entering his prime, so it seems like a no-brainer, but I don't
know anything about him as a person -- always a big deal for the Pats.

I haven't studied him as a blocker, but my impression is that he is a genuine two-way TE, which is fairly rare in the modern NFL. He can
catch, run and put the biscuit in the basket.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
I do not hate this take.

I do. It is obvious Bill had no confidence in Stidham at all hence Cam getting signed on June 28 and starting every game despite looking awful in many of them especially late in the season when we were out of the playoffs and Bill still did not start him. He was not even dressing for the first few games of the season. I am not advocating releasing him as he is cheap to keep as a back-up but in no way should he be starting. We already threw away one season.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
I do. It is obvious Bill had no confidence in Stidham at all hence Cam getting signed on June 28 and starting every game despite looking awful in many of them especially late in the season when we were out of the playoffs and Bill still did not start him. He was not even dressing for the first few games of the season. I am not advocating releasing him as he is cheap to keep as a back-up but in no way should he be starting. We already threw away one season.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stidham compete with a veteran QB and go through a complete off season with OTAs, mini camps and training camp. His 2nd year jump was curtailed after all.
2020 was simply a continuation of his rookie year. That's no way to begin a career in the NFL or to evaluate a player. Maybe he'll bomb again but maybe he'll rise to stardom. No one knows.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Stidham compete with a veteran QB and go through a complete off season with OTAs, mini camps and training camp. His 2nd year jump was curtailed after all.
2020 was simply a continuation of his rookie year. That's no way to begin a career in the NFL or to evaluate a player. Maybe he'll bomb again but maybe he'll rise to stardom. No one knows.
It does not appear there will be much of an off-season this year unfortunately. No combine, no OTAs. Maybe a mini camp in June if things keep trending well with the virus cases but most see just a July TC. I have not heard about preseason games but given the 17 game season, I think if they do have then, there will only be 3.

I would like to see Stid have more of a normal off-season but the team really nose-dived on him when he did compete with Newton last year and many thought he had a real shot of beating Newton out but he cratered.

Hawg73

Reaction score

I find this to be an entirely reasonable take, but we live in the era where the fans judge a guy without any context. It's the fantasy age and the
stat line is the only factor for many. All they see is 48 passes and 4 picks, not the unfair situations that tilted the scales in a negative direction. For instance,
last season Stidham made appearances in 4 of our biggest blowouts losses-- to SF, KC, Buffalo and the Rams in which we lost by a cumulative 121-28. It
would be hard for me to overstate just how dysfunctional our offense was during those games before he ever saw the field.

Stidham's stat line in those was 20 for 41 for 196 yards with 1 TD and 3 picks. His only other appearance was in our blowout win versus the Chargers.

If we can't make the money work to get a better veteran alternative or a top rookie, then I wouldn't hit the panic button if Stidham got the job.

I'd be nervous, but people would be wise to look at the situations he's been thrown into before deciding that he can't play.

Nobody should be shocked if Belichick doesn't sign or trade for one of the vets that are out there and elects to go with Stidham in 2021.

foobahl

Reaction score
I find this to be an entirely reasonable take, but we live in the era where the fans judge a guy without any context. It's the fantasy age and the
stat line is the only factor for many. All they see is 48 passes and 4 picks, not the unfair situations that tilted the scales in a negative direction. For instance,
last season Stidham made appearances in 4 of our biggest blowouts losses-- to SF, KC, Buffalo and the Rams in which we lost by a cumulative 121-28. It
would be hard for me to overstate just how dysfunctional our offense was during those games before he ever saw the field.

Stidham's stat line in those was 20 for 41 for 196 yards with 1 TD and 3 picks. His only other appearance was in our blowout win versus the Chargers.

If we can't make the money work to get a better veteran alternative or a top rookie, then I wouldn't hit the panic button if Stidham got the job.

I'd be nervous, but people would be wise to look at the situations he's been thrown into before deciding that he can't play.

Nobody should be shocked if Belichick doesn't sign or trade for one of the vets that are out there and elects to go with Stidham in 2021.
Also consider that when Stidham was put in those games, the defense were coming after him every down due to the score.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
It does not appear there will be much of an off-season this year unfortunately. No combine, no OTAs. Maybe a mini camp in June if things keep trending well with the virus cases but most see just a July TC. I have not heard about preseason games but given the 17 game season, I think if they do have then, there will only be 3.

I would like to see Stid have more of a normal off-season but the team really nose-dived on him when he did compete with Newton last year and many thought he had a real shot of beating Newton out but he cratered.

I haven't read OTAs have been cancelled and can't find anything with google that says that.
What I did find is "the NFL and the NFLPA will need to weigh the value of organized team activities (OTA) and minicamps, against the effort it would take to make them safe. The NFL is faced with another plan-as-you go offseason." IOW, the NFL hasn't decided yet. OTAs may well be held virtually. Minicamps come later. No decision has been announced by the NFL on either OTAs or minicamps yet.
My feeling is that in 2 months the players should be able to be vaccinated making preseason workouts safer and more feasible even for those refusing the vax. Only time will tell.
As of now, the Pats are working under the assumption that the draft & OTAs will be virtual and the rest of the preseason will be back to normal.