Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Links about your Dak assertions?
Just my eyes. and my opinion. At one point he had the best oline, best back, great wideouts and they still draft a wideout in the first round for him. Probably why their D is so bad, they kinda skimped out on it. There are some QB's who can legit say, yeah they need some weapons, I am not sure he has ever been one of those.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
Players want to be traded to teams that are ready to compete regardless of the coach. He can go join Sean Payton in NO with a stacked roster and a great coach. I would think that would be much more attractive to him.

But again I would LOVE for Bill to try to get him. He is worth the boat load of picks.
1. It will never happen.

2. No, he isn't worth trading for.

3. Look at #1 again.

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
BB will have to find his next QB via the draft...and find a decent bridge QB (Scam isn't decent) for the in between.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
A franchise QB is hard to acquire. I'd trade 2 1st rnds for him + Gilmore but only IF Watson's elbow doesn't need Tommy John or Roethlisberger elbow surgery. I'd also entertain signing Dak Prescott
i am not sure what the term "franchise qb" means to you so i can't comment on that part other than to say i think a solid qb who is clutch but not top 5 is good enough for me. i like dak if his price isn't ridic. he's like the "stripped down" version of a luxury car. performs almost as well as the $$$$ model, not as many bells and whistles. only ?s to me will be the $/injury recovery.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
i am not sure what the term "franchise qb" means to you so i can't comment on that part other than to say i think a solid qb who is clutch but not top 5 is good enough for me. i like dak if his price isn't ridic. he's like the "stripped down" version of a luxury car. performs almost as well as the $$$$ model, not as many bells and whistles. only ?s to me will be the $/injury recovery.
If you have just a solid QB not top 5, you better have a ton of other things. If we look back on the last 10 years. Its kinda been a who's who of top 5 QB's.

Big/Sky/Fly

Reaction score
I don't even like Dak, but, he will want max money...that in itself is anti BB.

SkiptoMyLou

Six Time Super Bowl Champions!
Reaction score

Other than the boatload of picks it would require, it doesn't sound that unfeasible.

Inspector_50

Reaction score

Other than the boatload of picks it would require, it doesn't sound that unfeasible.
What would it be the year after? Cap hit is really not the killing aspect of him getting traded to the Patriots, so that would not really matter. I know Houston loves the Patriots, but I am willing to bet that would not be their first trade partner for their franchise QB.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
So......now it isn't impossible, eh? Mmmm-Hmmmmm.

First, Watson's accuracy and play-making ability is just as good as Russell, Rodgers and maybe even Mahomes, the difference being that his skill players weren't as good. Last Sunday I saw him roll left, plant and fire across his body with a guy right in his face. He threw a rope dime to a guy tightly covered and pulled off a first down. It was amazing. That is as good as it gets and the guy is still getting better and he's pissed at his organization. Clearly. He's the absolute number one attainable QB out there, is still young and an amazing person and leader. Guys like him are NEVER available, but it ain't impossible.

Second, if you are looking to totally rebuild your roster and are in position to get a talented rookie QB, then you have to look at the cap savings from working a deal for your vet QB no matter how good he is. Pure economics. They don't have a first or second pick, but I'd give them both, and throw in Gilmore and Thuney for DeShaun. To hell with the compensatory picks.

It is probably unlikely, but not impossible. Imagine the shock waves generated if we were able to pull a deal off for him. If you're one of us, you have to at least consider it if only for amusement purposes. I'd give him a max contract without hesitation and there'll be plenty left to add a few puzzle pieces for him. He knows how good Bill is from repeat personal experience. He knows that this year was a pure aberration. He's tired of the Houston Klown Kollege and knows that signing a deal with us puts a ring within his reach.

Besides, it isn't our money. Plausible speculation don't hurt anybody.

rivshark86

Reaction score
Watson would be awesome. He doesn’t throw much to RBs, or Tight ends. Someone would have to adjust either the coaches, or Watson if he came here.

The Jets actually have a bunch of picks. If they get competent management they could improve very quickly. I don’t think the talent on that team is as bad as their record.

OP
chevss454

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
So......now it isn't impossible, eh? Mmmm-Hmmmmm.

First, Watson's accuracy and play-making ability is just as good as Russell, Rodgers and maybe even Mahomes, the difference being that his skill players weren't as good. Last Sunday I saw him roll left, plant and fire across his body with a guy right in his face. He threw a rope dime to a guy tightly covered and pulled off a first down. It was amazing. That is as good as it gets and the guy is still getting better and he's pissed at his organization. Clearly. He's the absolute number one attainable QB out there, is still young and an amazing person and leader. Guys like him are NEVER available, but it ain't impossible.

Second, if you are looking to totally rebuild your roster and are in position to get a talented rookie QB, then you have to look at the cap savings from working a deal for your vet QB no matter how good he is. Pure economics. They don't have a first or second pick, but I'd give them both, and throw in Gilmore and Thuney for DeShaun. To hell with the compensatory picks.

It is probably unlikely, but not impossible. Imagine the shock waves generated if we were able to pull a deal off for him. If you're one of us, you have to at least consider it if only for amusement purposes. I'd give him a max contract without hesitation and there'll be plenty left to add a few puzzle pieces for him. He knows how good Bill is from repeat personal experience. He knows that this year was a pure aberration. He's tired of the Houston Klown Kollege and knows that signing a deal with us puts a ring within his reach.

Besides, it isn't our money. Plausible speculation don't hurt anybody.

Finally someone agrees with me about Watson. I don't want to be another Denver or Buffalo or the NYJ going through QB after QB and waiting years and years to find one.
Under BB the Pats won't do badly enough to get a top 5 draft pick. I'm all for it and I'd pursue it doggedly. But I'm also realistic and the chances of it happening are slim but he's plan A for now. Plan B could be Dak - screw Jerrah. Everyone here assumes Dak wanted too much money but that wasn't it. He wanted a short contract so he could become a FA again in his prime. Jerrah wanted a long term deal. He and Jerrah couldn't reach agreement bc of years and not bc of money.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
Finally someone agrees with me about Watson. I don't want to be another Denver or Buffalo or the NYJ going through QB after QB and waiting years and years to find one.
Under BB the Pats won't do badly enough to get a top 5 draft pick. I'm all for it and I'd pursue it doggedly. But I'm also realistic and the chances of it happening are slim but he's plan A for now. Plan B could be Dak - screw Jerrah. Everyone here assumes Dak wanted too much money but that wasn't it. He wanted a short contract so he could become a FA again in his prime. Jerrah wanted a long term deal. He and Jerrah couldn't reach agreement bc of years and not bc of money.

Me and you, Chevs, shoulder-to-shoulder and backs to the wall.......

I'd be happy to end up with Dak, but I'd be 100% thrilled to get Watson and about 85% with Prescott. I'd have my doubts about him.

I tend to go by what my eyes tell me as opposed to analytics and I've seen Dak take the pickle a few too many times in the clutch to fully trust his judgement. For a good part of his career he's had an outstanding OL, Zeke in the backfield and good to excellent receivers. That is a prime scenario for success and the 'Boys haven't gotten it done in the postseason. Coaching? Special Teams? Jerrah interfering? Bad D? There is always a saddlebag filled with excuses in Dallas.

Still, that kid would be a far cry from what we endured this year and he might love playing for a disciplined team for a change.