Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Jeff Howe gives his thoughts - the Athletic

My comments:
I'll add Fla. QB Kyle Trask to his list of QBs to draft. 6'5", 240. Drop back pocket presence++ with decent mobility. 2020 stats - 70% completion rate, 4125 yds, 11.6 AY/A, 43 TDs and only 5 ints. BB could trade back to around 20-25 and still get Trask while adding a late 2nd or early 3rd to boot.
WRs - Marvin Jones &/or Corey Davis would be perfect, thank you.
TE - Hunter Henry for sure. He'd help immensely.
Adding a TE & 2 WRs would do wonders for the offense.
LB - Lavonte David has been productive his entire career plus he can cover a back or a TE.
Of our own FAs, I'm not certain JMac will be back, at least not as a CB; maybe at S. I'd like to keep Byrd and James White.

By Jeff Howe Dec 28, 2020
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

The best thing about 2020? There’s at least a sliver of hope it’ll turn to 2021.
That’s where the Patriots have set their focus, as the regular season will expire in a week and they can turn their attention toward the next phase of their rebuild.
So let’s do the same and make 10 bold predictions for the upcoming year. Due to the likelihood that many of these predictions won’t be worth the paper they’re printed on, this message will soon self-destruct. No receipts, please.

1. The Patriots will trade up to draft a quarterback and keep* Cam Newton​

Bill Belichick has publicly acknowledged the advantages of building a roster around a quarterback on a rookie contract, and there are four franchise-caliber talents who are projected top-10 picks.
Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence will likely be the No. 1 pick — too rich for the Patriots — and BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance will be gone shortly thereafter. It’ll most likely cost the Patriots at least a pair of first-round picks to get into range to select one of them.
That’s a price worth paying if there’s conviction behind their evaluation of the right quarterback, and the pace of their rebuild depends on it.
There’d be some value in keeping Newton on a short-money contract, especially if the Patriots boost the talent at tight end and wide receiver. If the Patriots trade up to draft a quarterback, they’re not going to want to also spend a significant chunk of cap space on a veteran, so keeping Newton would make some sense.
He’s good for the locker room and should be a solid mentor for a rookie. If the draft pick isn’t ready to start early in the season, Newton would be a serviceable placeholder.
(*I changed my mind three times while writing this section, could do so 10 more times depending how Jarrett Stidham is involved in the final two games and might do so hundreds more times prior to free agency.)

2. The Patriots will extend Stephon Gilmore’s contract and place a second-round tender on J.C. Jackson​

Gilmore is still playing at an extremely high level, but he’ll only earn $7.5 million in cash next season because the Patriots have accelerated future earnings to keep him competitively compensated over the past two seasons.
While Gilmore’s name has come up in trade conversations, the Patriots didn’t come close to dealing him because there was never an acceptable offer on the table, according to a source. The presumption is the Patriots wouldn’t move him for less than a first-round pick. Would their price actually come down in the next three months, and how much will the torn quad impact his fate?
Keeping Gilmore would therefore make the most sense. A two-year, $28.5 million extension would be fair value, rolling that into the balance of his current contract for a three-year, $36 million pact.
Jackson is a restricted free agent, and the Patriots would like to accumulate more picks, particularly under the premise that they’re willing to trade into the top 10 for a quarterback. The Patriots’ two options with Jackson would be to give him a first- or second-round tender, but it’s historically rare for an opposing team to sign away a restricted free agent at the cost of a first-round pick.
Therefore, use a second-round tender, and entice a team to sign Jackson to an offer sheet. That’s an affordable price for a corner with a budding reputation around the league, and the Patriots could use the second-round asset while replacing Jackson with Joejuan Williams or Myles Bryant. They could also re-sign Jason McCourty.

3. The Patriots’ two biggest splashes in free agency will be Hunter Henry and Lavonte David​

Henry will be the top tight end on the market, so he’ll require a contract worth an average annual value of at least $10 million. But Henry also probably got the memo this month that Belichick is infatuated with him.
The Patriots desperately need more production at tight end. Rookies Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene could still grow into solid pieces, but how long will it take? The Patriots can’t go a third consecutive year devoid of statistical output from the position, and Henry would be the answer.
David, a linebacker who turns 31 in January, has flown under the radar in Tampa but has been reliable and productive on all three downs throughout his career. If the Patriots can get him for $8-9 million annually, they can stick him in the middle of their defense with Dont’a Hightower and let Josh Uche and Anfernee Jennings flourish alongside them.
The front seven would enjoy an immediate upgrade with David on the inside.

4. Josh Uche will become the Patriots’ top pass rusher​

This is an easy one.
Uche has made an impact with his increased role over the past month, and his trajectory should have a sharp ascension with a normal offseason. Chase Winovich has had a very good season as the Patriots’ best pass rusher, but Uche’s raw talent will shine once the Patriots remove his training wheels.

5. The Patriots will focus on the second tier of free-agent wide receivers​

It would be a surprise if the Patriots completely abandoned their philosophy on paying receivers just because they’ve got $60 million in projected cap space, the fourth-most in the NFL.
That’s why $14-18 million annually doesn’t add up for JuJu Smith-Schuster, Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay or Will Fuller. Rather, it’d make more sense to try to snare a pair of the next tier that includes Curtis Samuel, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins and Corey Davis.
If the Patriots can land two of them, somehow land one of the plethora of talented wideouts in the draft and combine them with Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry and Jakobi Meyers, the group would look much better.

6. The Patriots will re-sign Joe Thuney​

The Pats used the $14.8 million franchise tag on Thuney despite being tight against the cap because they hoped to extend him to a long-term contract. The two sides were never close to an extension before the deadline, nor were the Patriots close to trading him due to an absence of acceptable offers. They also weren’t going to just flip him to the highest bidder due to his value to the team, which played out tenfold as he hopped between left guard and center early in the season.
It’d be surprising if they didn’t continue to offer him a competitive contract. There are only 10 teams with at least $30 million in projected cap room, and it’s tough to envision most of them using a major chunk of it on an interior lineman. Maybe Washington or the Bengals makes a huge push, but Thuney would then have to decide between the fattest payday and an environment he knows best and is closer to achieving postseason success.
It’s unconventional for teams to devote so much cap space to guard, as Shaq Mason will carry a $9.775 million cap hit, but the Patriots can pull it off while their tackles are on rookie contracts.

1/2​

Watson is a me first player. BB avoids those types of players. Not.Gonna.Happen...Ever.

When Brady was drafted in the 6th round, every GM knew that he was going to be the GOAT. Right? :coffee:

There has to be a legit diamond in the rough QB out there that will come out of nowhere and light it up. BB and team just needs to unearth him.

Lions have agreed with Stafford that he can leave. I have a feeling he may well end up here. I wonder how well he got on with Patricia?

Lions have agreed with Stafford that he can leave. I have a feeling he may well end up here. I wonder how well he got on with Patricia?

Yeah, I thought that too. If he's fine coming to the Pats with Patricia giving the Lions the 15th pick is a no brainer for me.

Stafford is more than physically capable of running the patriots offense. Mentally, he is so much of a gunslinger that I wonder if he could be relied on enough to function properly. I've watched him for 12 years here in Detroit and sometimes, because there was nothing else, and often times because of his mentality, he has been 40% fabulous and 60%: "He didn't fucking do that!!!".

Stafford is a good character guy who is tough. but he's definitely capable of those wtfs.
don't want to spend a first on him at his age.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1353120028825169922

There are so many layers to this. To save time I'll organize my thoughts in an abbreviated outline form.
It's way too soon to be making any definitive decisions on a QB but it's past time to study up on them and lay out a plan that includes short, intermediate and long term goals.
Also take into account how much longer BB plans to coach and how much he wants to win another SB. That may color his decisions.
The Lions will want to trade him before the end of the 5th day of the new league year which is when he's due a $10M roster bonus --> March 17 + 5 = March 22, 4PM NY time. That doesn't give BB any time to waste on Stafford due diligence. Timing is bad since BB won't want to give up his draft capital before his options are more fully developed which won't be til a week or so before the draft.

Pros:
6'3", 225. Above avg arm strength. Prototypical passer. Experienced. He's played his best ball the last 2 seasons by QBR. $21.5M avg/year for 2 years; perfect for a bridge QB.
Ranked #1 in NFL for 2020 QB performance under pressure. Career passer rating of 87. 7th most 4th qtr comebacks in his career; has more comebacks/year than PManning and TB.

Cons:
Timing relative to the draft.
2020 is his best full season & he still ranked only the 14th best QB by PFF with a grade of 82.
-9. Prescott 85.
-5. Josh Allen 91.1.
-4. Mahomes 91.5.
-3. Deshaun Watson 92.5.
-2. Brady 93.3.
-1. Rodgers 94.6.
33 years old.

Comparable trade: Kansas City, Alex Smith to Wash for a high 3rd round pick but that was in 2017.

Summary
I went in to this thinking Stafford might be a valid possibility but in all honesty there's no way in hell I think BB trades a 1st or even a 2nd for him.
Patricia may have some insight on Stafford's mental state, ability/willingness to learn and coachability.

My take on Stafford: 14th ranked QB in his best year is good enough for NFL mediocrity and that's a death knell. BB would have to be certain Stafford would thrive in NE's offense & that he can add 1 (or 2) FA WRs and a TE to complement Stafford to make it work. Timing will be close if BB is interested in Stafford. BB doesn't like to be hurried into anything.

Alternatives
-Immediate shot at another SB right away and possibly for next 10 yrs. Checks boxes for short, intermediate and long term. Less gamble.
It's not my money.
Dak - no draft capital; est. $40M/
Watson - draft capital + $35M/

-Bridge QBs + Draft. Checks boxes for long term but sacrifices short term for less future QB cost (rookie contract). Big gamble.
Brissett- Colts paid him too much at $15M/; FA now. 2 years, $7M/ est. value.
Fitzmagic- 1 year $10M. Ranked only slightly better than Cam last year.
Cam - 1 year $5M. He has to get better by learning the O, right?
JWinston, Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Trubisky...no thanks.
then...
Draft Mac Jones or Kyle Trask or whichever one BB likes somewhere in the draft. Or bundle 15 to move up in this draft for THE GUY.

Caveat: there aren't any Tom Brady's hanging around until the 6th round anymore. The NFL has become much more thorough in scouting than what it was in 2000. Brady will forever be the best steal of the NFL draft.

Last edited:

There are so many layers to this. To save time I'll organize my thoughts in an abbreviated outline form.
It's way too soon to be making any definitive decisions on a QB but it's past time to study up on them and lay out a plan that includes short, intermediate and long term goals.
Also take into account how much longer BB plans to coach and how much he wants to win another SB. That may color his decisions.
The Lions will want to trade him before the end of the 5th day of the new league year which is when he's due a $10M roster bonus --> March 17 + 5 = March 22, 4PM NY time. That doesn't give BB any time to waste on Stafford due diligence. Timing is bad since BB won't want to give up his draft capital before his options are more fully developed which won't be til a week or so before the draft.

Pros:
6'3", 225. Above avg arm strength. Prototypical passer. Experienced. He's played his best ball the last 2 seasons by QBR. $21.5M avg/year for 2 years; perfect for a bridge QB.
Ranked #1 in NFL for 2020 QB performance under pressure. Career passer rating of 87. 7th most 4th qtr comebacks in his career; has more comebacks/year than PManning and TB.

Cons:
2020 is his best full season & he still ranked only the 14th best QB by PFF with a grade of 82.
-9. Prescott 85.
-5. Josh Allen 91.1.
-4. Mahomes 91.5.
-3. Deshaun Watson 92.5.
-2. Brady 93.3.
-1. Rodgers 94.6.
33 years old.

Comparable trade: Kansas City, Alex Smith to Wash for a high 3rd round pick but that was in 2017.

Summary
I went in to this thinking Stafford might be a valid possibility but in all honesty there's no way in hell I think BB trades a 1st or even a 2nd for him.
Patricia may have some insight on Stafford's mental state, ability/willingness to learn and coachability.

My take on Stafford: 14th ranked QB in his best year is good enough for NFL mediocrity and that's a death knell. BB would have to be certain Stafford would thrive in NE's offense & that he can add 1 (or 2) FA WRs and a TE to complement Stafford to make it work. Timing will be close if BB is interested in Stafford. BB doesn't like to be hurried into anything.

Alternatives
-Immediate shot at another SB right away and possibly for next 10 yrs. Checks boxes for short, intermediate and long term. Less gamble.
It's not my money.

-Bridge QBs + Draft. Checks boxes for long term but sacrifices short term for less future QB cost (rookie contract). Big gamble.
then...
Draft Mac Jones or Kyle Trask or whichever one BB likes somewhere in the draft. Or bundle 15 to move up in this draft for THE GUY.

Caveat: there aren't any Tom Brady's hanging around until the 6th round anymore. The NFL has become much more thorough in scouting than what it was in 2000. Brady will forever be the best steal of the NFL draft.

Hard pass on Stafford for me.

Pros:

Cons:
-9. Prescott 85.
-5. Josh Allen 91.1.
-4. Mahomes 91.5.
-3. Deshaun Watson 92.5.
-2. Brady 93.3.
-1. Rodgers 94.6.
33 years old.

Summary

Alternatives
It's not my money.

then...

My only add to your post would be to remember that Stafford’s numbers are playing for the Lions and a myriad of HC/OC combos.

What would he have done under BB?

Fair to say much better, IMO.

I would be fully on board with getting Stafford, but the big question mark would be getting him weapons. Something like Samuel/Corey Davis/Will Fuller and at TE Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith. If he were to manage that, with Jules back and Jakobi one solid year of experience, this team would be a playoff caliber team as long as the defense is improved from last season. That said, that's a lot of what ifs, which is why I don't think BB will go for it.

I think Colts will be more than willing to give away their 1st round pick and land Stafford. I think that's his most likely destination unfortunately.

Back