Recovering a Google Accont

John Locke

Bringing Light and Justice to the World
Reaction score
My primary Google, Gmail account I've had had for maybe 20 years. It is 2 step verification protected as I had as I had some crazy level hacking of everything last year.

I have a new phone with a new number. No access to my old phone which Google demands I use to verify my identity.

I'm attempting to access my primary Gmail, Google account. The step verification is tied my old phone and number.

Google just continuously sends me round and round in a seemingly infinite look of no options.

I know the password yet I continue to get a message that Google can't verify my ownership of the account with no apparent way to prove I do.

Having a similar issue with my primary Microsoft account.

I am still logged into this Google account on my YouTube app on my Roku.

Not entirely concerned with the emails, though that would be nice to recover. More concerned about my YouTube Music account which I've been building for years. Good app by the way, and a bunch of work I've done through other Google apps.

Frustrated by the infinite loop of nothingness.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to recover it?

Thanks.

Have you tried this?

Go to the “Ways we can verify it's you” section and click on “Recovery email.” Click on “Add Recovery Phone” and enter the phone number in the pop-up box. Google will text you a verification code at that phone number. Enter it in the pop-up .

AT&T just forced me to get another phone but I have the same number so I didn't have this issue.

Have you tried this FAQ from google? How to recover your Google Account or Gmail - Google Account Help

You should also have backup codes, a series of pre-generated codes that can be used one time each if you're ever in a pinch with no access to 2FA.

I have tried the recover account link previously and just tried it again. And once again infinite loop of frustration.

It keeps coming back to a page with 3 options. 2 that would be helpful are the answer questions to recover option or the enter backup codes which I have. It says to hit Try Again, I'm guessing to get to those options which it isn't providing.

Look. I am in no way a technology novice nor ever had this level of problem before. The last time I ran into such circular craziness was when I was reinstalling Windows 98 from like 25 floppy disks or something.

I just did a search for where to enter enter my backup codes. Completely circular crap. Every solution Google recommends including entering back up codes for recovery require you to log in to your account to recover it.

Are you kidding me?

As I said I'm still logged into that account on the YouTube app on Roku. Is there no way to even approach recovery from an app i'm actually still signed into which is owned by Google.

What am I missing here?

Just email Google support... :coffee:

I've had this kind of aggravation via PayPal. Their support is either a bot, or someone who doesn't know English well. Good times!

I laughed cuz you know I know you know there is no support. 😅

Back