Redskin Postgame Thoughts

Oswlek

Reaction score
Don't see one specifically for it, so....

* The defensive effort was pitiful, putrid, pathetic (and those or just the "P" words) but I haven't heard a single person point out a critical piece of information - that Shanahan is BB's kryptonite even when the defense is good.

Does anybody remember the Denver game in 2003? Led by Danny Kannell, who was signed off the street just 6 days prior when Denver lost two seperate QBs in the same game, the Broncos put up 26 points and had the only 100 yard rusher against that great defense. They might have even scored more if they hadn't lost their FG kicker mid-game. Something about the extra contain responsibilities and all the dual option rollouts seems to make BB's squad very uncomfortable.

I'm not excusing the performance, just introducing a germaine factor that hasn't been discussed at all.

* McCourty had lots of rough moments, but it was nice to see him make a few plays in the 4th quarter, as well as a pick that was a real as the day is long, only to be overruled by a ref from fantasy land. Hopefully things pick up for him because he is a much better player than he's been this season.

* Hey ref, here's a physics lesson for you. If a quarterback leaps backward, a defender who attempted a legitimate tackle might have more time to be pulled towards the Earth by the force of gravity, making the contact occur lower than intended.

* Can someone explain the uproar about the UR call on Brady's slide. I've seen that play happen no less than 100 times in my life since the slide rule was enacted and it has always been flagged. Never once has anyone complained about it being a "bang, bang" play or some bullshit like that. Not. One. Single. Time. What was different about this one?

* I noticed that those some people forgot to mention the same call being made on Wilfork when he hit a RB who was on the ground. I suppose that might technically be UR since Vince Did jump on top of him rather than just touch him, but it is no less a penalty than the Brady hit. And if you are going to call things that tight, shouldn't the 'Skins have been flagged about a dozen times for receiver picks?

What a travesty that officiating was. The fvcked up something on virtually every other play.

* Listening to the postgame, there was an understandable number of people (callers and hosts alike) talking about how close NE was to losing this game. Surprisingly no one mentioned how close NE was to blowing Washington out. Three plays on the goal line - miscommunication, misfire and a dropped pass - kept an additional 15 points off the board. And that doesn't even count the times Branch, Welker, Woody and Gronk weren't on the same page as Tommy in other areas of the field, or the dozen or so misfired passes from Tommy (some of which were still caught). A marginal improvement to the level the team is usually at and NE might have slapped a 60 burger down.

The Skins also scored 10 additional points after NE stopped them on brutal officiating. I've gotten a lot calmer watching but this one still had no less than 10 jump-off-the-couch-and-shout-an-obsenity moments.

I have to agree that this was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in quite a while. The only saving grace is that they didn't favor either team, as there were plenty of bad calls to go around.

As bad as McCourty looked at times, I still give him some props for playing hurt. It looked like he only had one good arm.

THe uproar was summed up by some smug analyst on NBC last night who giggled when they showed it and said "It's Brady" like Tom gets more calls because you know, that is the popular but widely inaccurate sentiment among hating, unthinking sheep. :)

* We should have drafted Roy Helu Jr.

Os, to me the reason the TB call on the slide was blown up because that dope Triplette called it a blow to the head with a forearm when he announced the penalty. It wasn't that in any way shape or form. The rule is of course once the QB gives himself up by starting to slide it's a penalty to hit him. Practically speaking, I still think it was a tad questionable since Fletcher can't do anything about an action he's already started to perform pre-slide but it's the rule.

I believe I was mocked on some other thread for worrying about the BB-Shanny factor. :coffee: I definitely believe it's real. I certainly wasn't surprised they lost to SOS (Son of Shanny) the OC of Hou in 09 either.

That call on Andre Carter is one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my entire football watching life. And I think that people in Indiana, KY, Canada and PA are probably all aware I feel that way because my screaming shattered the decible limit. Triplette, IIRC is hot garbage in general.

Fine postgame review.

Shanahan is in fact BB's kryptonite, we always have a difficult time playing them whether it was in Denver, or even this time around.

The defense wasn't good by any means, but they made crucial stops towards the end of the game that we needed. The INT at the end was probably Mayo being in the right place at the right time, but it was a thrilling end to an otherwise frustrating game. This was one of the most frustrating performances by this team. Inconstistency is the key term for this team, both sides of the ball. Sure, blame the defense, but the offense seemed to be coming together in the couple of games prior and they come out looking average. Brady made some horrific throws (IMO the worst one was the high throw off the bubble screen) but he wasn't as bad as he was against the Giants or Steelers. I'm not going to speak about Brady's negatives any further because I'll just get into a debate about it, but there were good and bad from him.

Devin looked bad in the 1st half but picked it up in the 2nd, making those big stops late in the game. The talent is there, I don't quite know what isn't anymore. I think he's gotten slower in speed since last year, while others speculate it's more of he got slower in reaction time rather than actual speed, which is a good assessment too. He's having an off year, but the talent is there and I'm fairly confident that he can be the player he was last year again.

The officiating was horrible, I agree, for both teams. The bogus foul called on the INT was repaid with that BS penalty on the Brady play. Overall, a poor game by the officials, I thought they were much better than that.

I still don't agree with some of the play calls and the personnel groupings. I don't get why exactly Chad plays one snap, catches it for a 1st down, and then is never seen again? Wouldn't he have been at least a bit of a better option than Underwood? I don't get it, really.

Uglier win than the Dallas game, IMO. With the way they performed, I would have never expected the defense to seal it for us.

I think, and I may take some heat for this, that the game was not as close as the score indicated.

On two separate drives by the 'Skins, our defense had made a stop on 3rd Down. On those two drives, each time there was a ****ed up penalty called on our D:

1. Carter being blocked into Rex's legs on the interception by McCourty. Should not have been flagged, IMHO, as it looked like Carter was blocked into Rex - and he didn't hit a knee... That would have been our ball. Instead, shortly after, 7 points for the 'Skins

2. On 3rd down when the RB slipped and fell on his own, and started to get up. Big Vince stopped him from getting up - MAYBE Vince put too much force on it, but the fact remains that the RB was NOT "down", and was trying to get back up. Vince made sure he didn't get back up and run in for a gain. Instead, Vince is flagged, and shortly after a TD instead of settling for a FG try...

Of course, we also got lucky on the Fletcher hit on Brady - I think Brady started his slide way too late, and we were lucky to get that call...

Basically, the officiating sucked chopped up anus through a straw in this game - I think we got screwed harder that the kins did by far, as the screwjob resulted in two scores for them...

That said, our Offense needs to start getting some consistency, as they left a lot of points on the field; And our defense... They need to get consistently better, certainly... But they made plays when they had to, and got more stops than they get credit for...

Just saying.

I forgot to mention the Andre Carter call which was as bad a call as I've seen. We saw the exact same hit happen in the Denver game go unflagged. Not a good day for the refs at all.

Don't see one specifically for it, so....

* The defensive effort was pitiful, putrid, pathetic (and those or just the "P" words) but I haven't heard a single person point out a critical piece of information - that Shanahan is BB's kryptonite even when the defense is good.

Does anybody remember the Denver game in 2003? Led by Danny Kannell, who was signed off the street just 6 days prior when Denver lost two seperate QBs in the same game, the Broncos put up 26 points and had the only 100 yard rusher against that great defense. They might have even scored more if they hadn't lost their FG kicker mid-game. Something about the extra contain responsibilities and all the dual option rollouts seems to make BB's squad very uncomfortable.

I'm not excusing the performance, just introducing a germaine factor that hasn't been discussed at all.

* McCourty had lots of rough moments, but it was nice to see him make a few plays in the 4th quarter, as well as a pick that was a real as the day is long, only to be overruled by a ref from fantasy land. Hopefully things pick up for him because he is a much better player than he's been this season.

* Hey ref, here's a physics lesson for you. If a quarterback leaps backward, a defender who attempted a legitimate tackle might have more time to be pulled towards the Earth by the force of gravity, making the contact occur lower than intended.

* Can someone explain the uproar about the UR call on Brady's slide. I've seen that play happen no less than 100 times in my life since the slide rule was enacted and it has always been flagged. Never once has anyone complained about it being a "bang, bang" play or some bullshit like that. Not. One. Single. Time. What was different about this one?

* I noticed that those some people forgot to mention the same call being made on Wilfork when he hit a RB who was on the ground. I suppose that might technically be UR since Vince Did jump on top of him rather than just touch him, but it is no less a penalty than the Brady hit. And if you are going to call things that tight, shouldn't the 'Skins have been flagged about a dozen times for receiver picks?

What a travesty that officiating was. The fvcked up something on virtually every other play.

* Listening to the postgame, there was an understandable number of people (callers and hosts alike) talking about how close NE was to losing this game. Surprisingly no one mentioned how close NE was to blowing Washington out. Three plays on the goal line - miscommunication, misfire and a dropped pass - kept an additional 15 points off the board. And that doesn't even count the times Branch, Welker, Woody and Gronk weren't on the same page as Tommy in other areas of the field, or the dozen or so misfired passes from Tommy (some of which were still caught). A marginal improvement to the level the team is usually at and NE might have slapped a 60 burger down.

The Skins also scored 10 additional points after NE stopped them on brutal officiating. I've gotten a lot calmer watching but this one still had no less than 10 jump-off-the-couch-and-shout-an-obsenity moments.

Agree with some of this. As many passes that were so called bad that were caught, there were as many good ones that were dropped. Mostly though it seemed like miscommunications than bad catches or bad throws, but in the end, 350 yards 3 td's is probably a good passing day on a good defense. On the two bad calls one against us one against them.....the carter one was a joke, the QB was running away from the defender, the defender dives at him, he was not stationary carter did not go at his knee's and that cost us an interception and gave them 7 points, so its hard to feel sorry for the skins who were crying about the fletcher. By the letter, it was probably a legal hit, Brady did start his slide, but he started it kinda late, but then I look at wilfork getting a penalty for doing something unnecessary ....did fletcher? Don't know, don't really care, its not as though that negated an interception or anything or gave the pats a first down when it would have been 4th down or anything like that.

In the end, the thing that bothered me the most, was not the argument, it was not how they moved the ball, it was not the refs, it was how we made a team that scores 17 points a game with a average running game look like they were all pro's. I know about the passing defense troubles, but to give up those chunks on the ground. Hopefully that was just a fluke, because we cannot start being bad against the run too.

Os, to me the reason the TB call on the slide was blown up because that dope Triplette called it a blow to the head with a forearm when he announced the penalty. It wasn't that in any way shape or form. The rule is of course once the QB gives himself up by starting to slide it's a penalty to hit him. Practically speaking, I still think it was a tad questionable since Fletcher can't do anything about an action he's already started to perform pre-slide but it's the rule.

I believe I was mocked on some other thread for worrying about the BB-Shanny factor. :coffee: I definitely believe it's real. I certainly wasn't surprised they lost to SOS (Son of Shanny) the OC of Hou in 09 either.

That call on Andre Carter is one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my entire football watching life. And I think that people in Indiana, KY, Canada and PA are probably all aware I feel that way because my screaming shattered the decible limit. Triplette, IIRC is hot garbage in general.

I seem to recall making a mocking post in that thread. :dom:

In my defense, I looked at the talent disparity and assumed the team would be motivated to put thhat 4th quarter against Indy behind them.

I had the game on mute, so I didn't hear Tripplett's call, but I didn't hear anyone say the "blow to the head" was the issue. I can understand the "he started the momentum" but it was pretty obvious from the getgo that Tommy was going to slide. IMO, Fletcher had plenty of time to slow up and chose not to.

And all that still doesn't change the fact that that same type of hit is flagged 2-3 times a week without a highlight even being shown. Yet that one is a major deal. :shrugh:

Which leads us directly back to the 2012 Prospects Thread. There should be NO questions at all when one speculates Defensive draft targets. This D is BAD.

Helu is a very good young RB. I hope Vereen can show us why we went in that direction next season.

Shanny always gives BB fits. The trick play was just a perfect example. How many people on the Pats sideline knew he threw left-handed? Almost all of those trick plays, especially with a guy with little experience throwing, go to the right. But.....this kid is a southpaw. Even though it was a HS kid type throw, floating worse than a TB end zone turd, the bite on the play by the DB was so bad it had time to be completed.

Ihedibo might be a warrior, fighting thru a true ailment. But he simply is not good. Safety is absolutely killing us this year. I bet we draft 2. High.

I seem to recall making a mocking post in that thread. :dom:

In my defense, I looked at the talent disparity and assumed the team would be motivated to put thhat 4th quarter against Indy behind them.

I had the game on mute, so I didn't hear Tripplett's call, but I didn't hear anyone say the "blow to the head" was the issue. I can understand the "he started the momentum" but it was pretty obvious from the getgo that Tommy was going to slide. IMO, Fletcher had plenty of time to slow up and chose not to.

And all that still doesn't change the fact that that same type of hit is flagged 2-3 times a week without a highlight even being shown. Yet that one is a major deal. :shrugh:

Just for the record, yes, Tripplett came out and said "Forearm to the QB's head" on that Fletcher play which, obviously, didn't happen.

Was it flaggable? Certainly. But not for what Tripplett said.

I think, and I may take some heat for this, that the game was not as close as the score indicated.

On two separate drives by the 'Skins, our defense had made a stop on 3rd Down. On those two drives, each time there was a ****ed up penalty called on our D:

1. Carter being blocked into Rex's legs on the interception by McCourty. Should not have been flagged, IMHO, as it looked like Carter was blocked into Rex - and he didn't hit a knee... That would have been our ball. Instead, shortly after, 7 points for the 'Skins

2. On 3rd down when the RB slipped and fell on his own, and started to get up. Big Vince stopped him from getting up - MAYBE Vince put too much force on it, but the fact remains that the RB was NOT "down", and was trying to get back up. Vince made sure he didn't get back up and run in for a gain. Instead, Vince is flagged, and shortly after a TD instead of settling for a FG try...

Of course, we also got lucky on the Fletcher hit on Brady - I think Brady started his slide way too late, and we were lucky to get that call...

Basically, the officiating sucked chopped up anus through a straw in this game - I think we got screwed harder that the kins did by far, as the screwjob resulted in two scores for them...

That said, our Offense needs to start getting some consistency, as they left a lot of points on the field; And our defense... They need to get consistently better, certainly... But they made plays when they had to, and got more stops than they get credit for...

Just saying.

Its weird that you say the offense needs to be better but the defense got stops when they had to....if not for the offense yesterday, we are flat out blown out by a team that scores 17 points a game. So while you credit the defense for two stops the entire game, credit the offense for drives of 60 yards, 72 yards, 75 yards, 80 yards, and 80 yards again which offset their drives of 75 yards, 84 yards, 49 yards, 71 yards, 72 yards, and 71 yards.

Here I thought that was one of our fans taking the quick way out.

Its weird that you say the offense needs to be better but the defense got stops when they had to....if not for the offense yesterday, we are flat out blown out by a team that scores 17 points a game. So while you credit the defense for two stops the entire game, credit the offense for drives of 60 yards, 72 yards, 75 yards, 80 yards, and 80 yards again which offset their drives of 75 yards, 84 yards, 49 yards, 71 yards, 72 yards, and 71 yards.

Middy, please don't rehash this. You aren't introducing anything people don't already know, you aren't adding anything of value. This is the same conversation we have after every game. Please stop.

Which leads us directly back to the 2012 Prospects Thread. There should be NO questions at all when one speculates Defensive draft targets. This D is BAD.

Helu is a very good young RB. I hope Vereen can show us why we went in that direction next season.

Shanny always gives BB fits. The trick play was just a perfect example. How many people on the Pats sideline knew he threw left-handed? Almost all of those trick plays, especially with a guy with little experience throwing, go to the right. But.....this kid is a southpaw. Even though it was a HS kid type throw, floating worse than a TB end zone turd, the bite on the play by the DB was so bad it had time to be completed.

Ihedibo might be a warrior, fighting thru a true ailment. But he simply is not good. Safety is absolutely killing us this year. I bet we draft 2. High.

Jimmy Digs would be fine if he were the 3rd safety, but he isn't supposed to be the best safety on the field. At this point, I just want Chung back and I'm still :huh: at Moore's release. Yes, he was toasted on the double move last week, but he was about 100X better at safety than anything I've seen out of Slater. If you hated his performance at CB, then don't play him there! It's not like Slater gives you anything at that position.

I find it funny how often Jimmy Digs is on the ground looking like he needs life support, only to be back on the field 3 plays later.

Middy, please don't rehash this. You aren't introducing anything people don't already know, you aren't adding anything of value. This is the same conversation we have after every game. Please stop.

If you are going to make these statements every week that the offense is the issue and are watching the same game I am, then sorry but that is my reaction. Its the same conversation because its the same subject by you. Everything in this freaking thread is what we already know, so do not attack me when I bring up something about the game. You rehashing the game again is something we already all know, yet you jump on me for responding to a post?

With all due respect, Os, I've moved on from this abomination. I can't stomach the thought of rehashing a game that had me puking on the sidelines from the 5 minute mark forward. What I learned from yesterday is the D is in fast reverse and can't possibly keep us in a playoff game against a decent QB. We're right back to 'if Brady has an off game, we're going to lose'. It was horrible having to watch it the first time and it's much too horrifying for me to think about again.

Back