Religion

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
So you know Christianity is not a religion based on fear. That's good. :thumb:

Yeah, I wouldn’t categorize it that way, although fear of Hell is how many Christians “converted” people.

“Accept Jesus into your soul, or burn for eternity!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnlocke

Reaction score
While I greatly respect and admire the way Ben speaks on his faith, I often disagree at base with his premises. That's not too hard to understand as we have no common point of agreement at the very base which is how we gain knowledge (epistemology) and what exists (metaphysics).

And I disagree once again here. As much as a family can be an enormous benefit and value it is not by nature the basic social unit.

It is the first but I don't think it's the most basic or essential.

As man qua man is a lone individual in the universe first and foremost he must choose a social network to help him develop and accompany him toward achieving his life's goals. This is not the first but the most basic social unit.

It is the chosen that can have moral value and nothing besides. And a family or family member, if they are a value to you can be chosen but one should never bee quilted into maintaining a familial relationship with one you don't value or actively harms you because of self-sacrificial altruistic social convention. Justice demands you walk away from that person or situation when possible.

My line of thinking upsets my Christan mom, but sorry, I don't care for most of my family although objectively good, decent people, they are not who I would choose to hang with so I don't.

1621083067251.png

Last edited:

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
While I greatly respect and admire the way Ben speaks on his faith, I often disagree at base with his premises. That's not too hard to understand as we have no common point of agreement at the very base which is how we gain knowledge (epistemology) and what exists (metaphysics).

And I disagree once again here. As much as a family can be an enormous benefit and value it is not by nature the basic social unit.

It is the first but I don't think it's the most basic or essential.

As man qua man is a lone individual in the universe first and foremost he must choose a social network to help him develop and accompany him toward achieving his life's goals. This is not the first but the most basic social unit.

It is the chosen that can have moral value and nothing besides. And a family or family member, if they are s a value to you can be chosen but one should never bee quilted into maintaining a familial relationship with one you don't value or actively harms you because of self-sacrificial altruistic social convention. Justice demands you walk away from that person or situation when possible.

My line of thinking upsets my Christan mom, but sorry, I don't care for most of my family although objectively good, decent people, they are not who I would choose to hang with so I don't.

View attachment 3701
You choose not to hang out with "good, decent people" because they derive their value system from a different source than you?

Or something else?

johnlocke

Reaction score
You choose not to hang out with "good, decent people" because they derive their value system from a different source than you?

Or something else?

No, don't care for most of their personalities really, and some for their stances like no homosexuality or mix-race relationships. I have chosen many friends who don't share my common ground. But we share many other things that I value greatly in my life and they, for the most part, are a mutually beneficial enhancement.

One of my life's loves is a voracious seeker of answers in the mystical realm and we have the most fascinating discussion to all hours of the night.

My fam is kind of a non-intellectual drain on me. I can only listen to what Oprah has to say so long. :)

Last edited:

johnlocke

Reaction score
How about a discussion on this statement from your perspective?

Posted this on FB as welI. I have many friends with many different views so this could be interesting. But my friends do tend to lean heavily rational and atheist. However, I have many with deep thoughts and belief.

FB_IMG_1622301160381.jpg

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A maze of twisting little passages, all different

deec77

Reaction score
The Pope is being called upon to apologize for another Catholic Church atrocity.

And they should for what it’s worth.... but lots of people should be apologizing for their treatment of children including those standing by on the southern border where the gangs are abusing children ten fold today. Children are and always will be unfortunately abused because they are easy targets unfortunately. I truly wish I was wrong but....
covid lockdowns have just increased the dilemma....as well as the border. It’s getting worse instead of better sadly.

~Dee~

AnOldTroll

Reaction score
Yep, I am hard pressed to find one thing today that is getting better. In any aspect. I think we have lost our minds.
at home and worldwide.

signed, A disgusted observer..

deec77

Reaction score
Yep, I am hard pressed to find one thing today that is getting better. In any aspect. I think we have lost our minds.
at home and worldwide.

signed, A disgusted observer..
Fight back never lose sight because of the stupidity of mankind. But believe mankind is for the most part good and sincere.... there is a light at the end of the tunnel you just have to believe.....

~Dee~

AnOldTroll

Reaction score
I am ok Dee. I use this board to express my thoughts. It helps me putting out there in the ether.
Just struggling to find the positivity on the current circumstances.

God knows me. He just hasn't yet gave me the words to type them forcefully...or has He?

TipRoast

Reaction score
And they should for what it’s worth.... but lots of people should be apologizing for their treatment of children including those standing by on the southern border where the gangs are abusing children ten fold today. Children are and always will be unfortunately abused because they are easy targets unfortunately. I truly wish I was wrong but....
covid lockdowns have just increased the dilemma....as well as the border. It’s getting worse instead of better sadly.
As is so often the case whenever the Catholic Church is involved in a horrific crime against children, the response is one of deflection, and blame is redirected to society at large or other abusers instead of the cited perpetrators.

Any lay organization that had a similar history of child abuse would have been investigated and outlawed long ago.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
As is so often the case whenever the Catholic Church is involved in a horrific crime against children, the response is one of deflection, and blame is redirected to society at large or other abusers instead of the cited perpetrators.

Any lay organization that had a similar history of child abuse would have been investigated and outlawed long ago.
I am a Christian FIRST and a Catholic second.

The Catholic Church is struggling and the current Pope is making it far worse.

deec77

Reaction score

I’m not deflecting. There’s plenty of blame to go around.... as is often the case. They should be investigating absolutely and according to the article they are. Trust me there are plenty of lay organizations that were/are never investigated throughly as well.....

~Dee~

TipRoast

Reaction score
I’m not deflecting. There’s plenty of blame to go around.... as is often the case. They should be investigating absolutely and according to the article they are. Trust me there are plenty of lay organizations that were/are never investigated throughly as well.....

~Dee~

You're doing it again - deflecting to other organizations. Why is it so difficult to admit that the Catholic Church has been abusing children for hundreds of years?

It is still going on, and the main goal of those at the top is not eliminating the problem, but instead providing damage control. And one of the ways that damage control is done is via deflection.

If you're one of those doing the deflecting, you're part of the problem - you've bought into the Church's narrative that a certain amount of child abuse is going to occur and is going to be committed by Catholic priests, and that faithful members of the Church will just accept it and defend the Church.

Here's a sobering list of all the documented cases of abuse.

How many more cases are there that are undocumented? A number equal to those documented? In my opinion, the number of undocumented cases probably dwarfs the number of documented cases, given the power of the Church and the secrecy with which they operate.

Last edited:

deec77

Reaction score
The Catholic Church should be investigated period and apparently the Canadian government is, good for them. They the church owe the indigenous people more then an apology.....

~Dee~

TipRoast

Reaction score
Interesting timing:

May 28: Pope orders inquiry into German Church

June 4: Head of Munich Archdiocese resigns

I wonder how long the cardinal would have stayed in place and kept on with his "personal failures" if there were not an investigation under way?

deec77

Reaction score

Though it’s rejected by Islamic authorities and outlawed in many Muslim-majority countries, genital cutting is still practiced by some Muslims in parts of Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. In the US, anti-Muslim groups cite FGM to smear Islam and limit Muslim immigration, ignoring the fact that cutting also occurs among Christians, animists, and other groups. The custom endures because of passed-down beliefs about religion, cleanliness, passage into womanhood, or suppressing sexual desires. On Tuesday, activists around the world will mark the UN's International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM with a social media campaign under #EndFGM.
Where’s the outrage... right here in the US

~Dee~