Remembering Dan Pires

RoadGrader

Pervertas Emeritus
Reaction score
I am writing this because I was planning on looking up Dan in a month at Patriots Training Camp where I would tell him a few things but the news of his death this morning changed all that

I would tell him how much fun I had concocting that “Dan Pires Saved My Life” thread last summer knowing that he would fall right in tune with me and go along with the shtick w/o missing a beat because he knew how to have fun by making fun of himself

I would tell him how much I envied what he did as a sportswriter because I once wanted to be one and actually took a degree in Journalism but never followed that dream

I would tell him how much I enjoyed the kind of stories he wrote about things that gave us fans insights into players and coaches that were personalizing w/o being agenda driven

I would tell him how much I thought he might be holding back from posting on PatriotsPlanet and maybe not letting himself go as I just knew he had a devil’s twinkle in his eye just waiting to bust out by what he did reveal fleetingly at times

I would tell him he was a gentleman as well as a Man’s Gentle Man and his family should hope to know how lucky they were

I would tell him a cousin of his PMd me that he was looking for a story that Dan wrote and Googled up the “Dan Saved My Life” thread instead and wanted to know if it was true because:

“….Are you kidding....Family is always the last to know...Plz help me with my ballbusting power. If you would like to verify I'm his cuz if you see him just ask him if he has a cousin by the name of (blank) ...he'll probably deny it but what the heck.”

To which I replied:

“my thread was made partially in jest in that I too was busting on Dan....he did "save me" …….and helped "revive me”….(but) no actual mouth-to-mouth (or tongue) was applied.....he'll probably deny it but what the heck.”

[All this done just get to ask him if his cousin (blank) thought he was coming out of the closet or what during a family gathering sometime]

I would tell him how much we Pats fans loved that he confirmed what we thought we knew all along that Bill Polian was The Devil when he recounted him throwing a nutty in the Gillette pressbox that was not widely reported so we could then bust on Colts fans about it

I would tell him what’s a nice guy like him thinking by being a MFYankee fan

Finally I would tell him when we went our separate ways that day that “I’d be seeing him again” like I always tell everyone

and by writing this, I feel that even though I won’t see him next month, he’s heard what I have said to him today instead

Post of the year, RG.

Rep for this.

But more importantly, I hope this educates all current posters on the impact Dan made here, and the kind of person he was.

Excellent eulogy - Hope you shared with his family.

Wow I completely missed the sticky thread, this is awful. I will really miss one of the best football posters here.

I am informed that the link in my post#7 above may not be working for some so here is a link to the Main Sports section of the Standard-Times website

clik on the story w/ Dan's pic entitled

The Mayor of Foxboro a friend, mentor

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=SPORTS

It was your first post. Some browsers couldn't interpret the code and it made the thread appear to be empty. UT cleaned it up and everyone should be able to see it now.

On Topic, excellent post and those are great articles that you linked.

RG thanks so much for providing the link but more so for the story in the 1st post of this thread, personalizing this tragedy with a snippet of info that only someone like yourself could post

Just beautiful RG. Thank you for sharing your heart.

thanks to Undertaker #59, bideau & the rest of the 25,000 Mods for fixing this thread

Dan is prolly laffin' his ass off right now, I'll bet $$-to-donuts, watching some of us jump thru hoops for him but to him I say ~~

:4321: Commie

attachment.php

(thanks to Ras 4 the above image)

what I was hoping that this thread could be is a more light-hearted one for anyone with "funny Dan stories" to share --- that humor was such a big part of Danny's makeup should not go unacknowledged

what I was hoping that this thread could be is a more light-hearted one for anyone with "funny Dan stories" to share --- that humor was such a big part of Danny's makeup should not go unacknowledged

You heard the man.

Post your funny Dan stories/posts here.....

Well, now that you mention it, I was gonna blame Tommysgirl for all this - She was his inside source for the past several days, then BAM! Goodbye, Dan. WTF?

Well, now that you mention it, I was gonna blame Tommysgirl for all this - She was his inside source for the past several days, then BAM! Goodbye, Dan. WTF?

You have no idea how happy I was to see my rep change. It was heartbreaking to look at.

Excellent post RG...I am too new here to have known Dan,but reading your wonderfully eloquent eulogy and the Southcoast link,I hear what kind of guy he was and how wonderful he must have been to have as your friend.I envy you in that sense,people like that don't come along very often,but hopefully their spirit remains..and we can carry it around in our hearts so we can remember what a pleasure it was to have them in our lives...

I have asked a few people here , people that knew Dan and people who I respect what is the protocol now. People know I post like crazy but I been trying to keep it down and not get over the top out of respect for Dan in this sad time. Ras I hope you don't mind me saying what you told me placed here in the open. But Ras said this when I asked him since he knew him

"The best tribute to Dan would be to post and post away. Silly threads or not. He read and laughed while reading on the Planet."

Still, RIP Dan, while I did not know you personally, I surely loved reading your post.

Back