RIP Gino Cappelletti

It's funny, the first time I went to a game, in the new stadium (2002), first reg. season game, I mentioned to some guys in the row in front of me that I wished Steve Grogan was the quarterback of the team in 2001, that won the championship. That was because I was a Grogan fan, from when he played with the Patriots from 1975-on. I had nothing against Brady- he played well and deserved to win. But, I was a Grogan fan. You would've had to have seen him play, back in the day, to understand. He tried So hard!

But now I'm thinking about Gino Cappelletti. Although I never watched him play, I wish he had won a championship, or more, with the Patriots. He deserved to win.

Last edited:
I have so many fond memories of watching him and the other Patriots from way "back in the day" on our B&W Zenith TV.

And then as an announcer with Gil Santos.

RIP Geno, you are much beloved, and worthy of the "Big Hall" for all your contributions.

But now I'm thinking about Gino Cappelletti. Although I never watched him play, I wish he had won a championship, or more, with the Patriots. He deserved to win.
I think as an announcer he still felt a part the SBs, I mean as an experience at least? There's some solace in that, and his calls are immortalized from them.

Last edited:
I'd just like to mention, Gino was tied for the most int's for the Patriots in 1960, with 4, I'm pretty sure. Back when he played, players may have played a few positions. I know he was a defensive back, at first with the Patriots, a placekicker, field goal and point after kicker, and a wide receiver. It shows how great of an athlete he was. He was a very important player, for the 60's Patriots. He scored alot of td's, also.

Back