RIP Thomas Alexander Brantley

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
...aka Oedipus Tex.

I've exchanged emails and phone calls with Erin (Tex's ex girlfriend, who I know much better than his current girlfriend, her sister Shannon).

I wasn't informed in time to get to the funeral, as I got a little lost in the shuffle.

For those of you who don't know, Tex suffered from severe depression, which he was treating with a huge medicinal cocktail. Apparently, he had kidney stones last month, and got a Vicodin prescription to deal with the residual pain.

On Wednesday, July 27, he took the whole bottle, along with a full month's supply of his antidepressants and anti-psychotics.

Shannon and his landlord found him that Saturday after she convinced him to open up the apartment. He did not leave a note.

The funeral was the following Wednesday in Dallas.

Sorry to bring this to the board, but I thought you all should know.

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow.

Thank you for telling us, Flagg. This is horrible. His intelligence and humor shone through on everything he posted.

You will be greatly missed by everyone, Tex.

Peg

Reaction score
Flagg Wanderer said:
...aka Oedipus Tex.

I've exchanged emails and phone calls with Erin (Tex's ex girlfriend, who I know much better than his current girlfriend, her sister Shannon).

I wasn't informed in time to get to the funeral, as I got a little lost in the shuffle.

For those of you who don't know, Tex suffered from severe depression, which he was treating with a huge medicinal cocktail. Apparently, he had kidney stones last month, and got a Vicodin prescription to deal with the residual pain.

On Wednesday, July 27, he took the whole bottle, along with a full month's supply of his antidepressants and anti-psychotics.

Shannon and his landlord found him that Saturday after she convinced him to open up the apartment. He did not leave a note.

The funeral was the following Wednesday in Dallas.

Sorry to bring this to the board, but I thought you all should know.

Oh, my God, Flagg... This is so incredibly sad to hear, but thank you for letting us know...
I have watched people that I care about, deal with clinical depression and it is a tremendously helpless feeling to not be able to fix it for them...
Wow... "Oed" will certainly be missed... Rest in peace, dear man...

HelenaHandbsket

Will Post for Tickets
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that.

I never spoke/wrote to him, but I thoroughly enjoyed his posts when I was lurking and found him to be intelligent and witty.

My sympathies.

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
:(

I'm at a loss for words. I always looked forward to Oed's posts. He was the originator of our most legendary thread. And we all prayed for him when he got caught in the Tsunami. This is just a huge shock.

I hope you pass along our sympathies to his family.

Moebius

All your avatar are belong to me
Reaction score
Man, a hard thread to even reply to. Considering his sunami surfing experience, I would never have imagined this.

Thanks for the info, Flagg. I know there are quite a few folk around here who will miss Tex greatly. His humor and wit always made threads fun to read.

Darth Despot

Not a real 'Merican - apparently
Reaction score
Website
tokevinwithlove.wordpress.com
Sometimes real life invades our little cyber-haven.

My condolences obviously go out to his family and friends, but also to those members of the Planet who knew OED in his cyber personna.

Depression is a tragic disease, like diabetes or cancer, that claims thousands of victims. It is not "weakness" or a "charater flaw".

Annihilus

Zen Powered by Death Buddhists
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up Flagg, that's a fuckin' bummer.

Wherever you are Tex, Annihilus hopes your Owls are flying high.

R.I.P. you crazy S.O.B. We'll miss you.

pookie

Incompetent
Reaction score
Take care Tex, you'll be missed. While we certainly only knew Oedipus Tex and not Thomas Brantley, we "knew him a little bit" and he will be missed around these parts. I can only imagine the grief his family must be feeling. Condolences to the Brantley family and friends.

Flagg, how old was Tex if I may ask?

Jeez, what a horrible day.

HomelessJoe

Unknown User
Reaction score
He was one of the more interesting and characters on this board. (among many)

RIP:(

KenJr30

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. I did not interact with him too much, but saw his post several times when I was just lurking.

RIP, Oed.......................................

Dirtywater

Planet's Graphics
Reaction score
Wow. Like some others here I never interacted with him much here but always enjoyed his posts.

Sympathies to Oed's family and friends.

You will be missed. :(