RIP Thomas Alexander Brantley

Jesus.

Not sure how I missed this thread.

Hard to know what to say other than Tex must have been quite a character to know in real life. He certainly was here.

We have some pretty smart people skulking around but, he seemed exceptionally bright to me. I found his intellect intimidating at times.

I am really sorry that whatever was eating him got so bad that he took his own life. I have to wonder how much the horror of what he experienced in Thailand might have contributed, but really don't have any idea. This is very sad news.

Happy Trails, Tex.

I wish his family and friends strength and peace in what must be a very dark time for them.

Wow. That is deeply sad stuff. So much pain for his family.

Rest in peace Tex

Hawg73 said:
I am really sorry that whatever was eating him got so bad that he took his own life. I have to wonder how much the horror of what he experienced in Thailand might have contributed, but really don't have any idea. This is very sad news.

I was thinking more, when I saw his age, how the kinds of stress his job must have would affect someone so young. From listening to some of his descriptions, it must have been incredibly intense.

He didn't post much after I joined, but it was clearly evident that he posts were a definite read.

I took the opportunity to read some of his old stuff and it apparent that the Planet has lost a friend.......

It is times like this I wish I could express what I’m feeling/thinking in words.

I didn’t know the man only his screen persona from the archives, I think it is things like this that teach us how much others influence our lives and the effect people have on us.

For his family, friends and the planeteers who did, I offer up my condolences, for the rest of us, I hope we find a few laughs looking back in the archives at the life and times of Oedipus Tex

He left this world to young.

This is crushing news. My condolensces go out to his family. I am truly saddened by this tragic news.

However, and I know I'll probably be chastized for saying this, but I have a real problem with honoring someone who takes their own life. This may not be the time nor the place to express these views. But I thought that we should all take a step back and think about what Tex's actions have done to his family and close friends. Again, this is awkward but it's the way I feel. I'm angry.

ST

It sounds a little wierd but Tex didn't really have a choice in this. At least not in the same you you or I would.

The kind of depression flagg described is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. Tex wasn't weak or selfish, he was terribly ill.

Great work on that Anni. I am at a lost for words as to what to say about this news. Truly awful.

RIP OED

Didn't know him.

Felt like I did. He shared his trials and tribulations with us and even asked for advice. May he rest in peace. Though I'll never understand how someone could take their own life, I'll always admire the man.

very sad news.

my thoughts and prayers to tex's family and friends.

it definately made me laugh quite a bit reading some of his posts and threads.

he will be missed.

Unless someone has suffered from or knows someone who has suffered from severe clinical depression, they have no way of comprehending the emotional pain that these poor people suffer every waking moment. I've witnessed it in the suicide of a 16 yr old friend of my daughter who had suffered depression from early childhood. It was a helpless feeling to witness it. It was stunning to find out that the note she left behind said she had never been happier than at that moment.

Oed was not my personal friend, he was my internet friend. I have no right to stand in judgement of his actions. I'm choosing to remember him from his Planet postings. I'll miss his odd insights and British take on American politics. I'll think of his family and friends who are no doubt wondering what they could have done differently. And I'll hope that he found peace from the demons that this illness inflicts on its victims who so desperately try to escape them.

Rest in Peace Oed and bless those that you left behind.

I stumbled across the Planet last preseason and lurked here all year. Oed will always be one of my favorite posters. He made me think, about football and life. He made me fall out of my chair laughing quite a few times and he had me shaking my head in bewilderment, too.
I didn't know him, never talked to him, but from reading his posts I grew to respect and like him.
Oed, I hope you are now at peace and I hope you know that you reached what so many of us want. Immortality. Your words will live forever on this board and more importantly...in our hearts.

Spinal Tap said:
This is crushing news. My condolensces go out to his family. I am truly saddened by this tragic news.

However, and I know I'll probably be chastized for saying this, but I have a real problem with honoring someone who takes their own life. This may not be the time nor the place to express these views. But I thought that we should all take a step back and think about what Tex's actions have done to his family and close friends. Again, this is awkward but it's the way I feel. I'm angry.
I just feel bad that he didn't feel he had anyone that he could turn to. I remember when he turned to us with his delimna over making "the switch". It was part funny and serious at the same time. Some of us tried to be supportive, and other were quite critical and judgemental, although none of us had a clue about the depths of his inner turmoil.

I know that the next time someone really posts in need, I'll make a better attempt to be supportive.

Tex, I hope you've found some peace, but I still feel quite sad about this.
________
Yamaha OX99-11 specifications

I've avoided this thread all day because I really just don't know what to say. Like most here, I knew Tex only thru his posts. But it was obvious he was a bright guy who had a lot to offer. He will be missed on the board but more importantly he will be missed by his family and friends. My condolensces to them in this difficult time.

I liked Tex very much. I never knew he even had a problem with depression. He always seemed like a happy person who really had a lot going for him. He got to travel the world for his job. He had a girlfriend that seemed to care about him an awful lot. I think I'm just kinda shocked at the news of his suicide.

My condolensces go out to Tex's family and friends.

Yeah, I've been avoiding this thread too. I'm still gradually adjusting to my mom being gone; then Peter Jennings dies, and now suddenly one of the Planeteers. And now, as I write this, I hear Barbara Bel Geddes (who played Miss Ellie on Dallas ) has died. It's like since Mom went every time I hear of the death of someone I at all knew it's a punch in the gut.

I'd like to add a little to what bideau said earlier. Unfortunately, our society still has a good way to go in understanding mental illness. A gal I work with, for example, used to say, "If people want to kill themselves, we should just let them because they're just losers anyway." Then a friend of her family's shot himself. Needless to say, she changed her tune.

People who commit suicide aren't "losers", they just don't have the capability to deal with things the way that mentally healthy people do. A guy who went to my high school (and to my college for a semester) shot himself one night during winter break after he went to a nightclub and someone did a minor hit-and-run fender-bender on his car, for God's sake.

I would also like to talk a bit about what we called the "Internet will". At one of the boards I used to post at, one of the Pats forum moderators died unexpectedly of a heart attack (I think she was only in her early 40s). All they knew was that all of a sudden she just stopped posting; it was weeks before they were finally able to find out who she really was and learned what happened to her.

After that, it was suggested to us that everyone should have a person they know in real life (not just on the Internet) who could go on to the websites they go on to and notify people if they died or were in an accident, etc. The soon-to-be Mrs. TB and I have done this to an extent, writing down our handles and passwords for any websites involving financial information. Haven't gone as far yet as to tell her about my Planet info and my log-on as beeradvocate.com, etc., but it's probably not a bad idea.

My condolences to Tex's family. What awful news.

Back