RIP Thomas Alexander Brantley

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
...aka Oedipus Tex.

I've exchanged emails and phone calls with Erin (Tex's ex girlfriend, who I know much better than his current girlfriend, her sister Shannon).

I wasn't informed in time to get to the funeral, as I got a little lost in the shuffle.

For those of you who don't know, Tex suffered from severe depression, which he was treating with a huge medicinal cocktail. Apparently, he had kidney stones last month, and got a Vicodin prescription to deal with the residual pain.

On Wednesday, July 27, he took the whole bottle, along with a full month's supply of his antidepressants and anti-psychotics.

Shannon and his landlord found him that Saturday after she convinced him to open up the apartment. He did not leave a note.

The funeral was the following Wednesday in Dallas.

Sorry to bring this to the board, but I thought you all should know.

Wow.

Thank you for telling us, Flagg. This is horrible. His intelligence and humor shone through on everything he posted.

You will be greatly missed by everyone, Tex.

Flagg Wanderer said:
...aka Oedipus Tex.

I've exchanged emails and phone calls with Erin (Tex's ex girlfriend, who I know much better than his current girlfriend, her sister Shannon).

I wasn't informed in time to get to the funeral, as I got a little lost in the shuffle.

For those of you who don't know, Tex suffered from severe depression, which he was treating with a huge medicinal cocktail. Apparently, he had kidney stones last month, and got a Vicodin prescription to deal with the residual pain.

On Wednesday, July 27, he took the whole bottle, along with a full month's supply of his antidepressants and anti-psychotics.

Shannon and his landlord found him that Saturday after she convinced him to open up the apartment. He did not leave a note.

The funeral was the following Wednesday in Dallas.

Sorry to bring this to the board, but I thought you all should know.

Oh, my God, Flagg... This is so incredibly sad to hear, but thank you for letting us know...
I have watched people that I care about, deal with clinical depression and it is a tremendously helpless feeling to not be able to fix it for them...
Wow... "Oed" will certainly be missed... Rest in peace, dear man...

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I never spoke/wrote to him, but I thoroughly enjoyed his posts when I was lurking and found him to be intelligent and witty.

My sympathies.

:(

I'm at a loss for words. I always looked forward to Oed's posts. He was the originator of our most legendary thread. And we all prayed for him when he got caught in the Tsunami. This is just a huge shock.

I hope you pass along our sympathies to his family.

Man, a hard thread to even reply to. Considering his sunami surfing experience, I would never have imagined this.

Thanks for the info, Flagg. I know there are quite a few folk around here who will miss Tex greatly. His humor and wit always made threads fun to read.

Sometimes real life invades our little cyber-haven.

My condolences obviously go out to his family and friends, but also to those members of the Planet who knew OED in his cyber personna.

Depression is a tragic disease, like diabetes or cancer, that claims thousands of victims. It is not "weakness" or a "charater flaw".

Thanks for the head's up Flagg, that's a fuckin' bummer.

Wherever you are Tex, Annihilus hopes your Owls are flying high.

R.I.P. you crazy S.O.B. We'll miss you.

Take care Tex, you'll be missed. While we certainly only knew Oedipus Tex and not Thomas Brantley, we "knew him a little bit" and he will be missed around these parts. I can only imagine the grief his family must be feeling. Condolences to the Brantley family and friends.

Flagg, how old was Tex if I may ask?

Jeez, what a horrible day.

He was one of the more interesting and characters on this board. (among many)

RIP:(

I'm sorry to hear this. I did not interact with him too much, but saw his post several times when I was just lurking.

RIP, Oed.......................................

Wow. Like some others here I never interacted with him much here but always enjoyed his posts.

Sympathies to Oed's family and friends.

You will be missed. :(

Back