Sauerbrun signed.

FU TOM on 12-22-2006 at 11:09 AM said:
Could be a good signing. Hope he's "cleaned" up his act!

Right! I forgot about that (steroids, right?)

FOXBOROUGH -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick held his Friday press conference and touched on the signing of free-agent punter Todd Sauerbrun.

Belichick confirmed that the team brought Sauerbrun in for a workout today, and then signed him. Practice squad punters Danny Baugher and Tom Malone had also been under consideration, and the Patriots also worked out veteran Sean Landeta on Tuesday.

"We looked at all our options, and feel like this one is the best one for the football team," Belichick said. "That's what I said earlier in the week that we'd do and that's what we tried to do -- do what's best for the football team. That's always number one."

Sauerbrun served a four-game suspension earlier in the season, and Belichick was asked if the team checked out Sauerbrun's off-field history before signing him.

"It was a league issue," he said. "You have to talk to the league about that. All that stuff is done on a confidential basis. Even if I knew anything, I wouldn't say anything about it. We're not really privy to that type of confidential information. I would say talk to the league about it."

Sauerbrun has experience as a holder, although Belichick said that doesn't mean he will hold in Sunday's game. Belichick said the team's quarterbacks and practice squad punters had been holding in practice.

Indeed, the Pats have a punter in the form of 12-year veteran Todd Sauerbrun. New England coach Bill Belichick said Sauerbrun was just brought in this morning for a tryout and was signed afterwards.

Sauerbrun, who turns 34 on Jan. 4, was most recently with the Broncos, and made headlines earlier this year when he tested positive for the banned supplement ephedra and was suspended for the first four games of the season by the NFL. On the day he was supposed to come back from the suspension, in October, Denver cut him.

A three-time Pro Bowler who has averaged 44 yards per punt for the over 800 kicks he's had in his career, Sauerbrun may also be remembered around these parts for the tackle and forced fumble he had on Ellis Hobbs in the playoffs last season. Denver recovered the ball and ended up scoring a touchdown.

Undertaker #59 on 12-22-2006 at 11:29 AM said:

Sauerbrun has experience as a holder, although Belichick said that doesn't mean he will hold in Sunday's game. Belichick said the team's quarterbacks and practice squad punters had been holding in practice.

I'm curious - why the QB's? Do they have a special knack that other players don't? I know Plummer would hold for the Donkeys - just wondering. :confused:

RavenB on 12-22-2006 at 11:32 AM said:
I'm curious - why the QB's? Do they have a special knack that other players don't? I know Plummer would hold for the Donkeys - just wondering. :confused:
Keeps the threat of a fake alive?

Cassel was a holder at USC so he volunteered to do it. I think this is a great signing he has paid his due and was embarrased so let's move on and give him a shot.

RavenB on 12-22-2006 at 11:32 AM said:

I would suspect that it has to do with a) QB's being used to recieving a snap from center, and b) QB's ability to do something if the FG/XP breaks down. No one really wants to see Todd Sauerbrun rolling out and trying to throw a pass if the snap isnt good.

I also suspect that the recent trend f punters holding in the NFL has to do with a) punters being used to recieving a snap from center, and b) punters have more free time than backup QB;s at practice/games.

southcarolina on 12-22-2006 at 11:50 AM said:
I would suspect that it has to do with a) QB's being used to recieving a snap from center, and b) QB's ability to do something if the FG/XP breaks down. No one really wants to see Todd Sauerbrun rolling out and trying to throw a pass if the snap isnt good.

I also suspect that the recent trend f punters holding in the NFL has to do with a) punters being used to recieving a snap from center, and b) punters have more free time than backup QB;s at practice/games.

Yeah, I was going to say something about QBs having better hands, but punters would fall into that category as well.

aah thank you - does this fulfill the quota for serious football talk?

RavenB on 12-22-2006 at 12:00 PM said:
aah thank you - does this fulfill the quota for serious football talk?

I sure hope so....im about all X's and O'd out. :D

southcarolina on 12-22-2006 at 12:09 PM said:
I sure hope so....im about all X's and O'd out. :D

ummm....not really.

Serious football talk can be seriously lacking around here.

We are a very spoiled bunch and tend to not get "up" for regular games anymore....

I had forgotten about this, from 2002:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The feud between Carolina punter Todd Sauerbrun and Tampa Bay kicker Martin Gramatica won't end, setting up a possible showdown at the Pro Bowl.

Their dislike for each other escalated Thursday when Sauerbrun said Gramatica's youngest brother taunted him outside of Carolina's locker room following Sunday's loss to the Bucs.

"I don't know who this kid thinks he's playing with but I'm not the most mild-tempered guy,'' Sauerbrun said. "If he would have said the wrong thing to me there's no telling what I might have done ... that kid is as big of an idiot as his brother, and I'm sure his other brother is, too. It goes right down the line.''

Bill Gramatica, the middle of the three brothers, kicks for the Arizona Cardinals.

Sauerbrun struck first last week, taking exception to the way Martin Gramatica celebrated his four field goals in Tampa Bay's 12-9 victory over the Panthers last month.

In the rematch, a 23-10 Tampa Bay victory Sunday, Gramatica had to be restrained from going after Sauerbrun following the game.

"One hundred percent of the people that know him don't like him,'' Gramatica said after the game. "I don't respect him; I don't respect people like that.''

Sauerbrun couldn't let it go on Thursday, promising more fireworks at their next meeting.

"He had everyone holding him back to make it look good,'' he said. "You know what, that guy is not even worth the things I have to say about him ... If I have the opportunity to tell him to his face next time, I will. I don't like the guy and that is all there is to say.''

Undertaker #59 on 12-22-2006 at 01:22 PM said:

In the rematch, a 23-10 Tampa Bay victory Sunday, Gramatica had to be restrained from going after Sauerbrun following the game.

Sauerbrun: 5'10" 215lbs
Gramatica: 5'8" 170lbs

:LOL:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4498829

Sauerbrun: "I want to be a Bronco again"
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 10/16/2006 12:21:28 AM MDT

In his first public comments since being released, the enigmatic Todd Sauerbrun expressed surprising feelings toward the team that cut him last week.

The former Pro Bowl punter is not mad at the Broncos for their decision to cut him in favor of Paul Ernster, who punted in the first four games after Sauerbrun was suspended by the NFL for using a banned dietary substance.

"I'm not upset at all with the team. I love the Broncos," Sauerbrun said. "I miss being a Bronco already. The hardest part of this is not not having a job, but having to leave the Broncos. It's feels like my guts are being pulled out. It hurts so bad."

Sauerbrun's heart is so deeply attached to Denver, he said, it is his goal to become the Broncos punter once again.

"That's all I think about," Sauerbrun said. "I want to be a Bronco again. That's the reason why I want to get into the league again. I want to prove to the Broncos that I can stay out of trouble and play well. I want to be a Bronco and I'll do what it takes."

Sauerbrun hopes to hear from other NFL teams soon.

His agent, David Canter, said last week he thought Sauerbrun wasn't getting any calls because teams were focusing on Sauerbrun's off-field issues rather than his punting. Sauerbrun said he agrees with his agent's assessment.

Denver cut Sauerbrun when his four-game suspension ended Tuesday. The NFL suspension was handed down in July, and Ernster performed well in Sauerbrun's absence.

Sauerbrun said he was surprised that he was cut and he was saddened when talking to head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Ted Sundquist.

"I wanted to hug those guys when I left," Sauerbrun said. "Anywhere else and I would have probably been glad. But it's like I'm leaving family. ... Hopefully I'll be coming back sometime, though."

aloyouis on 12-22-2006 at 12:57 PM said:
ummm....not really.

Serious football talk can be seriously lacking around here.

We are a very spoiled bunch and tend to not get "up" for regular games anymore....

Ummm ok.

I was just making a joke on myself since about 99.9% of my posts here are of the non-serious football type.

Back