Scenes From a Restaurant

Guest to Me and a Co-worker: "Wow, you two are still here? You two go way back!"

Me: "She goes further back than I do, but I'm working on it."

This reminds of a story a waitress told me .When I used to work in kitchens. We had a lady a ask for sushi . The waitress told her that's not on the menu. She said yes it was & pointed to the Lobster roll

Last edited:
Guest Leaving After Picking Up Takeout: "Thanks a lot!"

Me: "Thank you, enjoy your dinner!"

GLAPUTO: "You too!"

Me: :ambivalence:
I actually did the same thing to a takeout delivery driver the other day. We're so much on auto-pilot with expected responses.

Either that or I'm an idiot. Ok, I'm an idiot.

I was once, way back in the day, a Directory Assistance Operator. One of the first males to do that job. I was 17 at the time and jobs were hard to come by.

I had to work pretty much every holiday and New Years Eve was a treat, because you got approximately the same percentage of idiot callers but this time they were drunk as well.

So, that New Year's Eve I get caller slurring his words badly. He rambles on and on and says that he's in a phone booth in Downtown Boston and has been stabbed. It was company policy that if you think a person's life is in danger you didn't make them hang up and call 911. We were supposed to keep him on the line and notify the cops or whatever for that person. I wasn't sure if he'd actually been stabbed or not, because he seemed strangely relaxed about it, but I couldn't be sure. I notified my manager to get the cops/ambulance on the line stat and the rest of the convo went something like this:

Me: Sir, hang in there with me because I'm going to get you some help but I need to know exactly where you are.

Drunk: I don't know.... Downtown Boston....like I said. Lots of cars and buildings....people walking by, you know?

Me: Can you ask one of them what street you're on? (it was all I could think of before the guy passed out and died)

Drunk: I dunno......wait a minute.....I'll be right back

Before I could react, I hear the sound of the phone booth door and then background traffic noise and it seemed like he was gone for a long time. I was just sitting there sweating it out and wishing I joined the Navy or something, Finally, the guy gets back on the line and he sounds slightly more animated.

Drunk: Operator!!! I found a street sign for you!!!

Me: That's great. Where are you?

Drunk: I'm at the corner of WALK and DON'T WALK.

Guy calls a dental office..
caller: " Do you take my insurance?"
me: " What do you have?"
caller:" I don't know."
silence.....
Caller: " are you there?"
Me:" I don't know how to respond."
Caller ( light dawns on him) " I'm an idiot."
me: " where do you work?"
caller tells me and I know the carrier and " yes, we are in network"
He came in and we laughed about it. Wife had told him to call and ask but neglected to tell him who his carrier was.....
Happens more often than you think... or we're supposed to know when people change jobs or change carriers... Carnak I am not....

Back